Bad fuel filter? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Bad fuel filter?

I've been trying to chase down a problem for a month and a half that has gotten worse since deleting it a month and a half ago.
I bought a used 2016 Denali with 70k on it about 2 months ago that is intermittently loosing power and blowing white smoke. I can get it to blow white smoke and also stutter a bit on que when I'm in park and rev it up to about 2200 RPM's or so.

The loss of power and tons of white smoke is new though and doesn't happen all the time. It clears up eventually and life goes on for a few days. My fuel filter life reads 92% as of today, which tells me it was replaced when it got traded in, but maybe they just reset it. It first started when I went to pass a semi while on my race tune (no lift pump) and I was WOT getting around the truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 05:30 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Just change out the fuel filter and see if it helps.

2001 2500HD 4WD EXTENDED CAB LS,
S&B CAI, 4" STAINLESS STEEL EXHAUST, EFI LIVE FROM ATP TRUCKS, EDGE CTS, PPE BOOST VALVE, BANKS INTERCOOLER PIPE, AIR DOG II 165, REBUILT TRANNY WITH SUNCOAST KIT, TRANSGO SHIFTKIT AND BILLIT TORQUE CONVERTER, NEW UPGRADED TAILSHAFT, PUMP RUB FIX ON TRANSFER WITH NEW ALUMINUM TAIL SHAFT, NEW TOW MIRRORS, NEW GAGE HEAVY DUTY FRONT AND REAR BUMPERS, BEANS SUMP, FUMOTO VALVE, RARE PARTS TIE RODS WITH COGNITO PISK, MAD JACK FUEL FILTER ACCESS DOOR, STAINLESS STEEL SPEED BLEEDERS.
2011 GMC 3500HD DUALLY Welding Bed, 4WD CREW CAB, 4" downpipe back exhaust, def delete, egr delete, with new LB7 up pipe, pcv reroute, Fass 150, EFI live with DSP 5, HSP CAI. Air Lift Air bags. PPEI transmission tune.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 06:27 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Mentioned many times before, but for 'bout $25 you can have a small compound gauge and bleed port adapter to measure psi @ idle, determines any filter restrictions without guessing on a $35-$40 filter.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Well that would be nice to throw on and see, but now the truck wont even start. I can get it to kick over for about 1 second and then it falls flat on its face and dies.

I'll start with a new filter. Really hope its not the cp4
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Only filter I can get right now is a Micro Guard from O'Reilly's. My ACDelco filter is on its way from amazon and will be a few days. Any reason I should stay away from the Micro guard even if it is for a few days?
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 06:43 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Have you lost prime?
Is the primer button firm?

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Primer button is not firm. I just checked that. What would cause it to loose prime? And do i just open the bleeder valve and prime it till all air is out?
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 07:10 PM

You’ve got an air leak somewhere, o-rings in the filter head or a crack in the fuel line from tank to filter head.

To prime you pump the button until it gets hard, then back the screw off and let the air out until you get straight fuel.

16 C.C. LT. Tinted, Weather Techs, Boost Tow mirrors, leveled/Moto930s/35s, Kennedy, Ridge Runner, May Truck Parts exhaust
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineedabiggertrailer16 View Post
Youve got an air leak somewhere, o-rings in the filter head or a crack in the fuel line from tank to filter head.

To prime you pump the button until it gets hard, then back the screw off and let the air out until you get straight fuel.
really,,I just changed my filter yesterday.I opened the bleeder,pumped till only fuel came out,closed bleeder,pumped till rock hard,started truck.didn't even stumble at all.

2002 GMC 2500HD, ECSB, 4WD, LB7
new style gm exhaust manifold, banks big head wastegate, PPE boost valve, banks air intake,high idle switch in cruise control, stock but not for long
EFI live tuned by me now,dps5 switch,EGT probe and autometer boost sensor,SoCal 6spd conversion

2016 GMC Denali stock for now
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 07:30 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

I would just pump the primer button until firm, then try to start.
Opening the bleed screw lets the displaced air out from an empty filter after a change.
Your filter is already full of fuel, just pump until firm and start.

In extreme leak scenarios, you may also use an extra hand, continually pumping the primer while cranking.

Edit;
It's not uncommon for a failing seal to rear it's ugly head after a filter swap and prime....disturbing the seals in the primer button.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode