CP4 FPR Screen with Metal Bits - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Question CP4 FPR Screen with Metal Bits

New to this forum - appreciate any help.
I have a 2015 Duramax with 82,000 on it. I read about the CP4 issues and decided to replace the FPR with the one from Exergy with better screens. Looking at the old FPR, I found a few small flakes of metal on it - has me really concerned. Question: which side of the screen would be catching debris - the outside you normally see or the inside if you pull the screen off? Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 07:55 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Outside

2016 2500hd Custom Sport, Z71, LTZ
Leveled with Moto 961's and 295/70\18 Ridge Grapplers,Amp steps, Weathertech mats, Extang Encore,S&B dry,
Wehrli intake bridge and AFE IC piping,Edge Insight cts2, AirDog II 165,SDP resonator delete, Mishimoto pcv catch can, MBRP down pipe,Recon led tail lights and third brake light, Morimoto mini D2S 5.0 projectors w/hidís, Morimoto 2stroke 2.0 ledís highs and fogs.
Kryptonite ucaís & tie rod sleeves, CCM diff drop,Fox 2.0 reservoirs, steering stabilizer, CalTracs,
Cognito PISK and heavy duty sway bar links, AirLift bags,
Nitro 4.30ís w/Nitro TracRite posi...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimis View Post
New to this forum - appreciate any help.
I have a 2015 Duramax with 82,000 on it. I read about the CP4 issues and decided to replace the FPR with the one from Exergy with better screens. Looking at the old FPR, I found a few small flakes of metal on it - has me really concerned. Question: which side of the screen would be catching debris - the outside you normally see or the inside if you pull the screen off? Thanks for any help.
Well then you better replace your fuel pump

2015.5 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ, Z71, SRW.
Summit White
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 12:30 AM

Same thing with mine when I installed the exergy a few months ago. I also have a 2015 with around 67,000 km at time of install. Found a small flake of something on the screen. I just continued the install and no issues have showed up yet with the CP4.
Attached Images

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 01:03 AM

Here's a better pic of mine
Attached Images

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the pics. I had the same thing but 10x the amount of debris. Rather than spend 3,500 for a conversion on a truck that trades for 33k I decided to buy a new truck Best of luck with yours - hope it lasts 300k for you.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 06:26 PM

Location: we live in a high mountain valley in the hi country of northern arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by skimis View Post
…. Rather than spend 3,500 for a conversion on a truck that trades for 33k I decided to buy a new truck
………………………………………………………………
Just idily curious. May I be a bit nosy? A bit of background.

I have an LML that I gave $42,000. for little over a year ago (with then 80,000 mi. on it..looked, smelled, ran like a new truck.

Found this site, about wet my pants in fright when I read about the CP-4 issue.

Cost me a bit over four grand to get a "Calif. Compliant" CP3 installed. So my $42,000 truck became a $44,000 truck. Not that is relevant to your post, but after a computer put me on "limp mode" later on I decided to join the "I Hate Live Bunny Wabbet" Fan Club....but that's another story...added another four grand to the cost.

Given all the above...did I save anything? How much, roughly, did you spend for your "new" truck....and what did you get? Mine is a 2013 crew-cab "long bed" dualie. Has some, but not all of the options avail. that year.

2013 3500 long bed crew cab. Purchased at approx. 80,000; at this writing have 93,000+, bone-stock except for a few things to increase reliability - convert to CP3. CAT oil filter with nipple installed. Removed one leaf for smoother ride when "empty" - air-shocks to re-gain correct rear elevation when heavy "bumper-pull" towing. Sold to me with round wheels and round tires. I am happy with round wheels & round tires. Went into "limp mode" at the wrong time. Had the DPF cleaned by a professional DPF cleaning service so pollution system is bone stock and fully operable....well..it was until...Ö..
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

You live in some beautiful country! Seems you are in good shape having done the conversion and that truck should run for a long time. I'm still looking at trucks so can't report on the possible replacement. But your 46k is still a good deal in my mind given how long it will last you vs what a newer truck would cost. Good luck with it!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 04:55 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Just MHO, If I found that debris I would immediately change the pump, whether with a CP3 conversion or a new CP4.

The Exergy FPR should save the rest of your fuel system in the event of a catastrophic failure but it could still leave you in the middle of nowhere when it fails without warning. My luck would be not only in the middle of nowhere but with my 5er behind it drastically increasing the problem for me.

Good Luck!

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode