Buying a low mile LML- Need advice! - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By blythkd1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Buying a low mile LML- Need advice!

Hey guys, looking into buying a used low mile 78k LML and had some general questions since this is my first diesel purchase.

The truck is a 2011 Silverado 2500hd, crew cab 6.5' box. Very clean, one owner from an older couple who never towed.

I am a general contractor, and will probably just be pulling a 6x12 or 14' cargo trailer eventually as I grow. Not looking to make a huge HP monster and run into issues down the road, just want to do a "simple" exhaust and tune.

I've been reading lots about the def/egr delete and for longevity/reliability it seems like the way to go since alot of guys are having issues with the emissions even with low km?

Any info or feedback would be greatly appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 02:52 PM

If you've been doing lots of reading you should have read that deleting & tuning a truck south of the 49th is almost a thing of the past. I'm sure there are still guys that do it, but would almost be word of mouth, not advertising it on the www. You don't list where you live so if your in Canada, google is your friend.

2015.5 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ, Z71, SRW.
Summit White
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockn69 View Post
If you've been doing lots of reading you should have read that deleting & tuning a truck south of the 49th is almost a thing of the past. I'm sure there are still guys that do it, but would almost be word of mouth, not advertising it on the www. You don't list where you live so if your in Canada, google is your friend.[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/DuramaxForum_2016/smilies/tango_face_wink.png[/IMG]
Totally forgot to add that yes I am Canadian and will be driving the truck in Canada 😂 so not worried about the emissions part of it. 78,000km too btw (48k miles). Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 04:43 PM

You're saying Canada is not as emissions crazy as the States? I figured Canada would be as bad or worse.

As much as I hate to sound like a party pooper, the LML is arguably the worst Duramax platform. In 2011 they went from the CP3 to the CP4 fuel pump which has GM in the middle of a class action lawsuit. It's also when they were forced to go to the all out emissions system including DPF and DEF. It's all pretty problematic and now our government is trying to put a stop to our fix. Resale value here on the LML is plummeting. Don't ask me how I know. And I really doubt that I can even get blue book value out of it. Dealers couldn't be any less interested in my truck as a trade. They won't even talk to me. So my only real option is to keep driving it til the wheels fall off. I still have all the deleted crap, just hope I don't ever have to put it back on.
poosniffer likes this.

2012 3500 4X4 CCLB
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 05:35 PM

If you can get a hold of tuning and parts for delete then i would pull the trigger and get the truck and remove all that crap. I would say if you aren't looking for horsepower and want the most reliable LML possible i would say tune/ delete the truck, lift pump (95gph), CP3 conversion. Some people will agree on the CP3 conversion others will say not to worry about it. Personally I'd remove the CP4 if you are financially able so you dont have to worry about it. Other than that enjoy the truck

2016 LML Denali 2500
Mcgaughy's 2" drop shackle
Bilstein 5100
22x10 American Force Flux black w machined or Toyos on OEM wheels. Depends on the day of the week
Wehrli S300 kit w/ 66mm SXE
Wehrli CP3 conversion 10mm stroker
Profab Manifold & Up-pipes
Stock Trans For Now
Stock Sticks For Now
Air Dog 165 4G
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info guys, yeah I will probably end up doing the delete right off the bat to just get it all over with. I can't afford to have the truck in the shop multiple times for my business.

As far as a simple exhaust + tune, is there anything you recommend as far as exhaust setups (5" vs 4") tunes, ect? That would probably be one of the first things I'd do unless it would mess up the emissions shit right away..
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 07:46 PM

I bought a 3 year old (2014) LML with 29k mi in 2017. Over the first 6 months, I had a few issues w/ my EGR which were extremely inconvenient and annoying. I also had a fuel pump failure at about 70k miles that was covered and replaced under factory warranty. I chalk these up to the lack of consistent run time over the first few years, though I could be wrong. I just crossed 150k miles today. Since about (aboot?) 75k miles, I haven't had a single issue.

FWIW, I would still delete it for all reasons imaginable. If I decide to drive the wheels off this one vs. driving the wheels off a L5P, I'll do some more research and do a full delete to include the fuel system (CP3, lift pump, etc.)

2nd question: I've heard that unless you're racing, you don't need a 5" exhaust setup. I'm confident that 4" would be plenty for the application you intend, while still giving you tons of the desired air flow you and your LML want.

Diesel Newbie

2014 2500 LTZ Z71
CCSB
35 x 12.50 TA KO2
Otherwise, bone stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode