Used LML - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 08:35 PM

If you're stayin emissions compliant i would look into S&S fuel 50 state legal CP3 conversion. If you plan on removing the emissions equipment i would look into a CP3 conversion with a sportsman pump. The sportsman pump allows more fuel to be had over 3k rpm.
nebchevy likes this.

2016 LML Denali 2500
Mcgaughy's 2" drop shackle
Bilstein 5100
22x10 American Force Flux black w machined or Toyos on OEM wheels. Depends on the day of the week
Wehrli S300 kit w/ 66mm SXE
Wehrli CP3 conversion 10mm stroker
Profab Manifold & Up-pipes
Stock Trans For Now
Stock Sticks For Now
Air Dog 165 4G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 10:23 PM

Location: we live in a high mountain valley in the hi country of northern arizona
TUES 21 Jan 2020:

May I add my "second" to the excellent advice you have seen in here. I couldn't be happier with my LML - bought it around 80,000 miles.

Yes, ANY modern truck will be a "do-it-yourself" kit till you get it the way you want it. As you have seen elsewhere, even "bone stock" these things give outstanding, reliable service forever.

With the qualifications you have been warned about elsewhere in this 'thread'...its a gamble…....you will most likely win that gamble if you do NOTHING to the truck..just drive it and change the oil regularly.

I personally elected not to gamble - as much reliability as I can get...I go for...…

So I blew four grand getting rid of the gamble on the CP-4. Eight to ten grand or even more, depending on how much damage a failed CP-4 can do, where you are when and if it fails...etc, if you lose that gamble.

And another four grand on...well....let's just say I hate those cute little fuzzy-chinned bunny-wabbets…..and I cant wait to see the end of the world in ten years...…

I should exlain my use of my truck may be different than yours, and I may live further out in the wilderness than you do.......my primary use of my truck is long trips on the Interstate, pulling about 11,000 lbs. of trailer..... where going up grade pulling that load.... and having the thing go, without warning, into "limp mode" may be o.k. if you are short on excitement....but...well.....

2013 3500 long bed crew cab. Purchased at approx. 80,000; at this writing have 93,000+, bone-stock except for a few things to increase reliability - convert to CP3. CAT oil filter with nipple installed. Removed one leaf for smoother ride when "empty" - air-shocks to re-gain correct rear elevation when heavy "bumper-pull" towing. Sold to me with round wheels and round tires. I am happy with round wheels & round tires. Went into "limp mode" at the wrong time. Had the DPF cleaned by a professional DPF cleaning service so pollution system is bone stock and fully operable....well..it was until...Ö..
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 07:50 AM

My co-worker has an 11 Denali with 250k on it. I drove the truck last week and was amazed how solid it drives for the miles and the fact that he contract plows around 35 driveways with it (in Syracuse NY) The truck is tight and has no creaks or rattles. It does need a pitman and idler arm though.

The truck is deleted and has a cp3 on it and he has it Rust Checked every fall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 407driver View Post
My decision would be heavily weighted towards the 14.

The early LMLs had more issues that were resolved by 14. Also there is an updated/upgraded CP4 I understand ad it may be in the 14, but it is certainly not in the 11.

Just my .02
I agree, the 14 will be the best bet. If you get the real maintenance histories, they've likely both been in the shop multiple times, a few times for glow plugs if nothing else, and probably some emissions systems parts. Running either one in stock form, you'll probably be lucky to drive the wheels off either one of them without some repairs but the 14 should get you closer. Even at only 6-7 years old, it'll probably still start having some issues soon. But I bet the 11 will be at higher risk or more repairs sooner yet.

2012 3500 4X4 CCLB
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Well I went ahead and bought this bad girl!! It only has 70k on the dial and as far as I can tell it is 100% stock other then an added rear DVD Alpine system. I used to have a 2013 and this drives just like my brand new one I bought back in 2013. I will attach some pics! Sorry they were at night and its been crappy weather here to get any other pics.
Attached Images

CntrlCalDmax and CDmax16 like this.
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 11:02 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

Looks clean! I like it. I have a 2012 Chevy in the same color.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 12:56 PM

Looks great man! Best of luck with her!

2016 Denali

2005 CC Sierra - 366k and strong, Son's ride now (but I'm not signing over title just yet)
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 04:10 PM

congrats! That looks clean.

2019 2500 Silverado Z71 LTZ. God Bless America!
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys!!! SOOOOO guess what! The night I bought her, the sales girl and I were in the truck setting up that damn Onstar trial crap and when talking to Onstar lady she said she would put us on hold to send a signal to the truck... Well while we were on hold the truck just shut off and said service stabilitrak control and I was thinking ok that was odd... I thought well maybe somehow this onstar lady killed the truck or something idk.. So then today I contacted the sales girl as she is a super close friend of my fiance, I asked her if they had found the second set of keys yet and to let me know when she does.

So I then got a message back that the other set of keys were over in the service Department AND in fact my new truck had a open ticket on it still for the truck dying and she had told me that service had done some stuff but didnt know if it was fixed for sure. So she wanted me to get it out today and drive the truck cause she wants whats best for me of course.

So I start the truck up after sitting in the garage for a day or two. Seemed to take a little longer than normal on the glow plug light to tell me its ok to start it but thought ok well whatever, so then I pull out of my drive and stop at the corner to let is idle while I set up my set perfect and mirrors and all that stuff since I havent done all that yet and then...... all the sudden it starts idling rough almost like a like my Camaro that has a big Cam in it and then also feels like its missing. So I am sitting there and it almost dies and shuts off completely but someone pulled up behind me so I had to take off. So on the way to drop it off at the dealership it just didnt feel right. Also it had a nasty smell almost like MAYBE to much diesel was being dumped or something idk but was not a good normal diesel smell as I love the smell of diesel!! I also dont remember my 2013 Denali smelling like that when it would do the DPF burn off.

Not sure what to think about all this. I mean I know they will make it right and I wont have to pay for a dang thing but does anyone have any idea on what it could be?

Thanks!!
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 07:10 PM

Unbelievable that the dealership was selling that truck when they knew it had an issue as you stated "service had done some stuff but didn't know if it was fixed for sure". I'd be gettin my money back or making damn sure they fix it and give you a rental. SMH
nebchevy likes this.

2016 LML Denali 2500
Mcgaughy's 2" drop shackle
Bilstein 5100
22x10 American Force Flux black w machined or Toyos on OEM wheels. Depends on the day of the week
Wehrli S300 kit w/ 66mm SXE
Wehrli CP3 conversion 10mm stroker
Profab Manifold & Up-pipes
Stock Trans For Now
Stock Sticks For Now
Air Dog 165 4G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode