Used LML - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

8Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Used LML

So I am going to look at two different used LMLs... I have never bought a used diesel before, only bought a brand new one back in 2013 but had to get rid of it. Question is... is there anything I need to look for when looking at these 2 used LMLs. One is a 2011 Denali which is the one I am mainly looking at and it has 70k on it... the other is a 2014 with 95k.

My bad on bothering all of you I just dont know much about diesel and I am learning but not sure what to look for in a used one. Any input would be awesome...

They are used from a GM dealership if that makes a difference.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 01:11 PM

The LML is a good truck. Emissions equipment is not ideal, but that's with any newer diesel. Only big thing with the LML's is the CP4 high pressure pump. They have been known to fail and usually take the whole fuel system when they do fail (injectors, pump, fuel rails). They do offer CP3 conversion kits that have been proven to be a more reliable pump, around $2K. The biggest thing with the CP4 is making sure you run good clean fuel. I'd recommend running an additive that helps with water separation and lubricity. Also i would highly recommend a lift pump for filtration and the fact that it "pushes" fuel to the CP4 pump so the CP4 pump does not have to work as hard to supply the motor with the fuel and also work on pulling fuel from the tank. Most guys run Air dog, Fass, or kennedy.

2016 LML Denali 2500
Mcgaughy's 2" drop shackle
Bilstein 5100
22x10 American Force Flux black w machined or Toyos on OEM wheels. Depends on the day of the week
Wehrli S300 kit w/ 66mm SXE
Wehrli CP3 conversion 10mm stroker
Profab Manifold & Up-pipes
Stock Trans For Now
Stock Sticks For Now
Air Dog 165 4G
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Ok, also is there anything I should be looking out for when I go look at the truck in about an hour or so? I mean is there anything that I should physically be looking for on a used LML?? it is a 2011 with 70k...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 01:24 PM

Maintenance records. Dealer can print out history of anything done by GM dealer from day 1. I've always found that pretty much an owner will maintain a vehicle the same across the board - meaning they're not going to detail the exterior/interior and forget about oil changes. This is generally speaking of course, but you can tell if a truck has been beat on.

2016 Denali

2005 CC Sierra - 366k and strong, Son's ride now (but I'm not signing over title just yet)
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveLLY View Post
Maintenance records. Dealer can print out history of anything done by GM dealer from day 1. I've always found that pretty much an owner will maintain a vehicle the same across the board - meaning they're not going to detail the exterior/interior and forget about oil changes. This is generally speaking of course, but you can tell if a truck has been beat on.
Alright I will ask for records... and to be honest it looks like its in perfect shape from the photos.. I know in person will tell the whole truth but it looks almost perfect in the pics.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 03:42 PM

LMLs are great trucks. The early emissions DEF tanks were a real problem when they came out. Lots of sensor issues. If I were to look at a LML I would make sure it was not running an aftermarket tune. The CP4s are not very reliable especially if they are an aftermarket tuner. Very hard on the pumps and you shell out a CP4 you are looking at big bucks to clean things up, replace the injectors and all the hard lines to the injectors. There are two mods that I would look at, a CP3 conversion kit and a good lift pump to feed the CP3. If your state doesn't require any diesel emissions checks I would delete the DPF and program the computer to do away with it and the regen mod. The LML are strong trucks and will last a long time if you know what to do to them. The emissions stuff really hurts these diesels.

Also, if wheel well flares were added I will guarantee you have rust above the rear fenders. Anyone trying to sell one of these trucks will do this to hide the rust issues. Very common on this body style. I know dealers that will discount the trade in then put these flares on to get full value on the truck when they sell it. You would be surprised how often that happens. D

Last edited by Dean E; 01-21-2020 at 03:45 PM.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 06:02 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

I just bought a used lml a couple of months ago. Biggest things I looked for were, rust, maintenance, and making sure it was 100% stock. Maintenance means it was taken care of and that's what makes a diesel last. The stock part of that usually assures it hasn't been beaten to death. Then the rust for obvious reasons.
Hope that helps. Take your time and really crawl all over the vehicle. Look at rockers, cab corners, rear fender Wells, check the undercarriage. All those things will help you decide which truck to buy. How do ball joints look. It is a leaker etc.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 07:22 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

My decision would be heavily weighted towards the 14.

The early LMLs had more issues that were resolved by 14. Also there is an updated/upgraded CP4 I understand ad it may be in the 14, but it is certainly not in the 11.

Just my .02

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 407driver View Post
My decision would be heavily weighted towards the 14.

The early LMLs had more issues that were resolved by 14. Also there is an updated/upgraded CP4 I understand ad it may be in the 14, but it is certainly not in the 11.

Just my .02
This was talked about in another thread. There is no "updated" CP4 out there. There is the CP4.1 & the CP4.2. The difference between the 2 pumps is the amount of shafts in the pump. CP4.2 has 2 shafts for larger diesel engines & the CP4.1 has 1 shaft for smaller diesel engines like cars. If it were my truck and I planned on running it til the wheels fell off (which is the plan for my current truck) I would get rid of the CP4 and put a CP3 pump in.
407driver likes this.

2016 LML Denali 2500
Mcgaughy's 2" drop shackle
Bilstein 5100
22x10 American Force Flux black w machined or Toyos on OEM wheels. Depends on the day of the week
Wehrli S300 kit w/ 66mm SXE
Wehrli CP3 conversion 10mm stroker
Profab Manifold & Up-pipes
Stock Trans For Now
Stock Sticks For Now
Air Dog 165 4G
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 08:14 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by denarli6.6 View Post
If it were my truck and I planned on running it til the wheels fell off (which is the plan for my current truck) I would get rid of the CP4 and put a CP3 pump in.
But it was my understanding the CP4.2 could be used in the LML and it has fewer problems with catastrophic failures.

Id do the same, put in a CP3!

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in