p0087 DTC code??? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

p0087 DTC code???

i took my truck to the dealership yesterday for a p0190 DTC and they replaced the fuel pressure regulator, when they they got finished the truck then shot this p0087 dtc??? now they are saying it might be a sensor located below the intake and they are going to have to tear the motor down to check it. anyone had this code before and know what was done to resolve it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 03:09 PM

P0087 - Fuel Rail Pressure Too Low

Sounds like they mis-diagnosed the first time. I can't even find a description for a P0190 code.

07 GMC CCSB CLASSIC LBZ
EFI Live DSP5 by Duramaxtuner
SDP EGR delete, PCV Reroute
MBRP DP
4 inch MBRP straight
Isspro boost and pyro gauges
ReadyLift keys/ 1" blocks
Moto Metal 951's
285/75-16 Nitto Terra Grapplers
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 03:25 PM
DuramaxForum Guru

Send a message via AIM to jc1843
There are many things that can trigger the P0087 code. One is restricted fuel filter, fuel lines or gell in the lines. Also early trucks had a problem with the rubber fuel hoses at the driver side valve cover, and below the drivers feet area. The lines get kinked, or collapse. Usually more so when it it hot out, and pulling heavy load.

Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07GMCLBZ View Post
P0087 - Fuel Rail Pressure Too Low

Sounds like they mis-diagnosed the first time. I can't even find a description for a P0190 code.
p0190 is fuel rail pressure sensor
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1843 View Post
There are many things that can trigger the P0087 code. One is restricted fuel filter, fuel lines or gell in the lines. Also early trucks had a problem with the rubber fuel hoses at the driver side valve cover, and below the drivers feet area. The lines get kinked, or collapse. Usually more so when it it hot out, and pulling heavy load.
this trucks only got 33000 miles on it and ran perfectly, dealership said as soon as they changed the fuel rail pressure sensor the p0087 came on. they just called and said they have another dmax same year as mine with the same code they have been working on for 3 days.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 11:12 AM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

@Cayenne, have you heard any updates from the dealership about your truck today? Is it safe to assume, you have a loaner vehicle?

Michelle, GM Customer Service

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Finally solved this code. One of the sensors under the intake had fine medal shavings in it (probably casting mold left after initial flush). Gm told my dealership tech to put on a new injector pump, all new fuel line, and all new injectors. Thankfully its covered under warranty, would hate to see that repair bill.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 07:14 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Garage
Nice to be under warranty, I asked about my warranty and GM dealer laughed. Ha! 110,000 miles and over 8 years old.
A few weeks back, my truck starting sending messages about replacing the fuel filter, so I ordered a FASS fuel system. It started to act like it is running out of fuel, so after a small incline or minor pull the engine would slow until enough fuel pressure builds back up. I thought for sure the FASS system would solve the problem.
I installed the FASS system and I clean/checked everything. I removed the tank and ensured that the pick system was not plugged. I installed FASS sump system. I did not find any problems with the fuel lines and tank. I install the FASS filter delete system at the original fuel conditioning module, which had no obvious problems. I reconnect everything and ensured that there was no leaks with a positive pressure at the fuel pressure/vacuum test port.
I reset the fuel filter life and started the truck. The same problem, the truck was running out of fuel after a minor pull. The engine light came on. I hooked up the scan tool and got P0087. I looked at the engine data on the scanned tool, the FPR2 (fuel pressure regulator valve on the fuel rail) was first to loose pressure, then the rail pressure would drop, and at the end the FPR1 would reduce. Based on this and some of my research at this forum I got concerned that maybe it is the CP4 pump failing.
First I removed the FRP2 (fuel pressure regulator valve) at the fuel rail and inspected it. No abnormal conditions, the valve was clean with no metal debris. Next i removed the FPR 1 (inlet metering valve) and inspected it. Again no abnormal conditions.
I order a new Exergy Inlet Metering Valve E05 10505 and I will reassemble everything, but what could be the problem? I know I am getting fuel to the CP4 pump via FASS.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you, g

gdayzie
2011 Chevy Duramax 3500HD 4x4
Full Delete, PPEI EfiLive AutoCal 5 tunes
Flo-Pro Turbo Direct 3" Down Pipe
FASS Titanium Series Lift Pump 95 gph
Banks Intake System w/ Super Scope
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 11:03 AM

gdayzie did you ever get this figured out? i am having the same issue.

2011 CHEVY 3500 HD 6.6 DURAMAX

BLACK MARKET PERFORMANCE LIFT PUMP 95 GPM CAT FILTER WITH WATER SEPARATOR
CTT TUNING WITH SWITCH TRANS TUNING
RESONATOR DELETE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode