Calling out all who had problems with DEF/Emissions - Page 11 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

207Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 2492 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 07:11 AM

Thanks Bigfoot, I did tell them when I dropped it off that I did a lot of research online and the NOX seems to be a big problem. He thanked me and said he would do some checking.

2011 2500 DURAMAX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 2492 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 09:11 AM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

My 2011 is 3 years old and it has 17K miles. It has had a DEF tank replaced because of temperature sensor and a NOX sensor replaced during this time. It has been reprogrammed a few times for the compass reading 180 deg off every time it regens.
post #103 of 2492 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 05:44 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot Cabinets View Post
Insist they check the NOX sensor. They will give you a hard time about this even saying you have to pay to have this done. It must be a big effort for them to get at it. They will try everything else but check the NOX sensor. And when they clear the codes they claim "think its fixed". Don't be surprised if you get this message back or a CEL as you drive off their lot or perhaps a week later. Good luck.
I watched them change the NOx sensors on mine. Not a big deal to change. About 20 - 30 minutes each.

2018 GMC 2500 L5P CCSB 4x4 Denali - Mineral Metallic; previous '11 LML, '10 LMM and 04.5 LLY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #104 of 2492 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 04:43 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pddunc View Post
2012 bought Feb. 2012
July 2013 bad urea code, de-rated, dealer cleaned tank cleared codes
August 2013 same thing this time dealer replaced tank, cleared codes. But this took a week.
Here we are middle of Sept. and it just coded up again today, back to the dealer tomorrow and lawyer next. Only 20,000 mile on this pick-up
pddunc,

We are truly sorry to learn that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle and have to visit the dealership. We are happy to assist and would like to look into this vehicle concern for you. Please private message us including a brief overview of your concern, full name, address, phone number, VIN, exact mileage, and dealership.

Best regards,

Jennifer T. (Assisting Kelly)
GM Customer Care
post #105 of 2492 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 09:47 AM

our family purchased 5 brand new 2012 LML's (father inlaw bought 2, myself, my parents, brother inlaw,) all from the same dealer. Loved the trucks! Having owned previous duramax's we were quite impressed until our Canadian winter set in. 4 out of the 5 trucks had serious def issues, freezing tanks, clogged dpfs due to idling thus needing a manual burn off. two of these trucks were used in my father inlaws heavy construction business, so yes they idled a lot during the winter. father inlaws business is in remote northern Canada, so they trucks had to be picked up and put on a flat deck and taken out 4 times EACH!!!! and for a business man that's huge dollars lost. So after the 4th time he had reached his limit and was phoning for quotes from dodge and ford on a 2 brand new diesel trucks and told our dealer he could pick up the pieces of shit from the ford dealer. THEN like a miracle angel out of the sky we find out about H&S performance...... let just say about a week after finding out, every LML we owned was fully deleted with 4" MBRP duals. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!!! it now runs as a diesel truck should and like our previous duramax's did, RELIABLIY and after heavy discussion with our dealer in regards to our issues and our loyalty to him and the fact that we've spent over a million at his dealership he is honouring our warrenty to the fullest degree. Having said that we drive like grandpas, were not in it for the extra HP at ALL we couldn't care less if the tuner SUBTRACTED some power if it meant getting rid of the god awful def/dpf system. We all couldn't be happier with our trucks now. Ill tell ya, after having my young family stranded twice in my dually because of a def issue at -50 on the side of a remote highway, the decision was more than easy to delete all that crap. Needless to say I think GM needs to thank H&S for keeping customers. I know my father inlaw may be the "small guy" compared to some but he was prepared to switch over his whole work fleet to dodge (20 trucks)..... I know with the way the EPA is going its tough for GM also.... but at the same time when you spend 70,000$ on a truck it sure is a kick to the nuts when it dosent perform.

2015 GMC 3500 dually SLT, bronze alloy metallic, fully loaded, cocoa dune interior, goodyear duratracs w/ fuel throttle wheels

2012 GMC Denali Duramax Dually, boxliner, 6" oval steps, H&S mini-max tuner, full dpf/urea delete, MBRP 4" duals (sold!)

2004 silverado duramax LT, 6" procomp lift, 37" nitto trail grapplers, 20" black hoss rims, Autometer A-pillar boost/pyro guages, diablo predator tuner, custom made rear/front bumpers, custom headache rack, (SOLD)
post #106 of 2492 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N49ATV View Post
2012 3500HD SRW
Unsure of milage (50-60,000km)
Urea level sensors not reading properly. Full of fluid, reading low, limiting speed.

Cause: truck sat with low fluid for 2 months in body shop. They figure the sensors were crystallized over, and we're not fully dissolved, even after 2 weeks of full fluid.

Cost: 2,800 CDN. DE downpipe, 5" flo-pro exhaust, mini maxx, pillar, egt probe. I can't have it strand me at work.
Love it ..... where are you???

2012 GMC 3500 Chassis Custom Bed Super Spring
EGR DPF PCV resonator deleted

2008 Dodge Ram 4500 g56 gt4088R Fass etc
post #107 of 2492 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 10:33 AM

had my DEF level sensor not working for 5000km
usually refill my def every 2 weeks... after 3 week wo alarm i just refill and i could feel the bottom of the tank... the dealer said all good... so refill it again and after another 2 weeks the alarm came back... now is ok

2012 GMC 3500 Chassis Custom Bed Super Spring
EGR DPF PCV resonator deleted

2008 Dodge Ram 4500 g56 gt4088R Fass etc
post #108 of 2492 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 06:35 PM

I have a '11 GMC 2500 HD. I had the "poor DEF quality" message at the start of a trip from Dallas to Brinkley AR. I topped off the DEF tank as the GM manual states however, before the trip was over i was in limp mode of 55mph, i spent 4 hours going 55 then 45mph to the dealership i had gotten it from in MS. First was the usual you didn't use GM DEF, my retort was there is nothing in the manual about using GM def. i left the truck and it was ready a few days later. They had pulled the tank and replaced the NOX sensors per my request after looking up the common factors on these forums. The dealer tried to stick me with a $1,000 DEF tank saying it wasn't under warranty. I raised hell the truck only had 20,000 +- miles. The dealer then said they would eat the price of the tank, BUT IF IT HAPPENED AGAIN THEY WOULD NOT COVER IT. That was in late December now i have gotten two CELs and my fuel milage has dropped dramatically. 16.8 city 17-18 HWY. to 13-14 no matter what. Receive another "poor DEF warning" that went off as i was on my way to the dealership. Got the no code no fix speech. I know one CEL code was in the "first bank" prolly a DEF from my mechanic buddy. I have been very happy with the truck but with all these problems and I'am only around 36,000 miles i have lost faith in it, It's like "truck herpes" just waiting for the next outbreak. New to the forums, and thank to everyone for all the helpful information.
post #109 of 2492 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 07:32 PM

[QUOTE=GMCustomerService;3196906]pddunc,

We are truly sorry to learn that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle and have to visit the dealership. We are happy to assist and would like to look into this vehicle concern for you. Please private message us including a brief overview of your concern, full name, address, phone number, VIN, exact mileage, and dealership.

Best regards,

Jennifer T. (Assisting Kelly)
GM Customer Care
Don't know how to private message you can email me [email protected]
post #110 of 2492 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 09:05 PM

This might be out of topic but im new to the group and soon to be owner of a 2011 GMC 2500 Duramax z71. Ive been reading a lot of the DEF issues and am wondering is there any way to do away with the DEF system and what it costs? The truck im buying has 80k miles so im sure its had the same issues and it want be under warranty so that isn't an issue for me. Any input would be greatly appreciated before I purchase the truck. List what mods I may need please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode