Calling out all who had problems with DEF/Emissions - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

198Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2415 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Super Genius

Calling out all who had problems with DEF/Emissions

Hello, I am starting this thread to collect data on who has had problems with their DEF/Emissions on LML version trucks. This is an attempt to show GM that I am NOT alone. Please keep it short, the year, the problem and what was outcome. (As in what did it cost to do repair) I'll start off.
Vegasj and CDNBlueThunder like this.

2011 LML, Cognito, Edge, FASS.......blah blah blah
DELETED AND LOVIN IT!

Wile E. Coyote: Super Genius
ACME Race Team, Lead Driver
NO Wins to date, I just cant get around them damn anvils..................

Cliffs are a problem........occasional piano..........sometimes tunnels aren't really open.........it's that sumbitchin bird again, sorry, gotta go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2415 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Super Genius

2011 LML
1st trip, reprogram mileage 52280
2nd trip, Reprogram, NOX sensor mileage 52397
3rd trip, reprogram, nox sensor, def tank/pump mileage 58716 COST $774.00

2011 LML, Cognito, Edge, FASS.......blah blah blah
DELETED AND LOVIN IT!

Wile E. Coyote: Super Genius
ACME Race Team, Lead Driver
NO Wins to date, I just cant get around them damn anvils..................

Cliffs are a problem........occasional piano..........sometimes tunnels aren't really open.........it's that sumbitchin bird again, sorry, gotta go!
post #3 of 2415 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 01:12 PM

2011 GMC 3500, 15,000 miles. 'three weeks ago DEF message, went away before I could read it, something about exhaust ..... see owner's manual. Message went away but engine light on. I filled with DEF, CEL light remained on for a few days then went out. All good, or so I thought. Next came DEF quality poor. That too went away after a few days. Then just two days ago the CEL came on again, no message, still on. I can no longer trust the truck. From the same GMC dealer I have bought 4 vehicles, a 2004 Yukon, 2004 Sierra 2500 (gas), 200t Sierra (gas), and this 2011 Sierra 3500 D-Max. I can't risk DEF problems causing me to limp when I'm 1,000 miles from home. I loved the truck until now, but it will soon be replaced with a RAM 3500 and, yes, a manual tranny.

Took delivery 3/15/2011: Red LML Dually, CCLB, 4x4, SLT

Previous trucks: 07.5 GMC 2500 CC 4x4 6.0 gasser04 GMC 2500 CC 4x4 6.0 gasser, 2000 F350 SC 4x4 6.8 gasser, 97 Explorer 4x4, 73 Ford tandem tractor 290 Cummins, 62 GMC pickup, 62 Chevy pickup, 53 Ford pickup and another 62 Ford, don't remember model - was large dually with aprox 16 ft. box
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 2415 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 01:20 PM

Fathers 2011 lml. Needs def tank sensor recalibrated. Been done once but problem is back. Message pops up saying 300 miles left no matter what. 6xxx miles on truck now.

2009 CCSB LMM-Robs tunes, insight, exhaust, ad2, krytonite stg 3, alpine, sundowns. Some other stuff
Props to ADP ATP MPF Husker Diesel and DMAXSTORE SOLD

2005 ECSB LLY-HDP tuned and built gmax 5, supporting mods-SOLD

2007 CCSB LBZ-Ridgerunner tunes, exhaust, HSP egr delete, 22x10.5 BMF Novas, Pioneer, etc
post #5 of 2415 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 02:01 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

2011 lml. Replaced temperature sensor in def tank. Was under warranty. Roughly 33,000miles

2011 GMC 3500 SRW CCSB stock, except for plow and B&W turnover hitch
post #6 of 2415 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 02:08 PM

2011 lml. Something went wrong and threw a bunch of codes, truck had to be limped to the dealer and reprogrammed. Replaced the nox sensor in the fall. Replaced temperature sensor in def tank last winter. All this was under warranty and all happened within 40,000 miles.
post #7 of 2415 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 04:28 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

I traveled a lot in my previous job with my LML. Without my truck i would not be able to work. Here were my problems....

Went to the dealer 2 times down in New Orleans They told me the first time that they had to reset the codes. It came back on with thin hours of leaving the dealership. Brought it back and they replaced the tank and the sensor. That lasted a couple weeks before DEF message came back on.

Brought it back in again this time to a dealership in Franklin IN and they told me that they had to go and replace several sensors and the tank!!!(beyond my knowledge of comprehension to why) So far it has been 1 year without any problems. I am currently sitting at 66,000 miles and can not wait until my warranty ends to take off all the emissions stuff!

2011 GMC Sierra 2500 Deisel-Stock-Go Rhino Spray in Liner-285/65/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers- Skyjacker Leveling kit- AFE air-intake
post #8 of 2415 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 04:47 PM

Bought a CPO 2012 LML in April.

- drove 210 miles and got poor DEF quality
- dealer "reset" computer and DEF quality message back in 3 miles
- dealer replaced NOC sensor and still problem
- replaced the tank sensor and still problem
- flushed the tank and still problem
- dealer kept truck for 10 days, GM flew out tech from Detroit and repaired all kinds of stuff with a bill of $7,700+ all under warranty
- drove the truck 38 miles and poor DEF quality was back on
- returned to dealer and cancelled the deal
- talked to them 2 weeks later and shop manager said they still hadn't figured it out

I'll admit the dealer was great and reputation for diesel mechanic capability in Minneapolis is top-notch. They took me out of the truck and got a killer deal on a 2013 which has 2800 miles on it with no problems/issues yet but admit I'm somewhat worried - hoping I had my string of bad luck with this issue as I love the new GMC!
yamaharuss likes this.

2013 Sierra SLT 2500hd, metallic indigo/lt titanium
Cognito Stage 6 UCA, Fox Mono-tube shocks
Pitman and Idler braces, Monroe SA1998 Stabilizer
Sulastic Shackles, BMF 20x9 REPR, DURATRAC 285/60
Advent OGM1 NAV/DVD, C'S-GM1 Rear Camera
NCT Large Fender Mod, 2" T-Bar Leveled
RBP Rx-3 Nerf Bars
post #9 of 2415 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 06:28 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

When new mine did a regen once per tank, now it does it twice per tank, with no change in driving habits or loading. Soon it will spend as much time in regen as not. I can't get near a dealer because all their diesel techs are booked up weeks in advance. When I asked the service writer what were the reasons for the backlog, he replied "same as yours".
MB_Mike likes this.

DPF/SCR technology summarized in three words: It doesn't work.
post #10 of 2415 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 06:29 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Last winter I had the frozen urea tank / DIC warnings despite having the latest firmware updates. I guess the EPA did not anticipate these vehicles being used in cold climates.
CDNBlueThunder likes this.

DPF/SCR technology summarized in three words: It doesn't work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode