Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Calling out all who had problems with DEF/Emissions

878K views 3K replies 575 participants last post by  GoBlowSnow 
#1 ·
Hello, I am starting this thread to collect data on who has had problems with their DEF/Emissions on LML version trucks. This is an attempt to show GM that I am NOT alone. Please keep it short, the year, the problem and what was outcome. (As in what did it cost to do repair) I'll start off.

#2 ·
2011 LML
1st trip, reprogram mileage 52280
2nd trip, Reprogram, NOX sensor mileage 52397
3rd trip, reprogram, nox sensor, def tank/pump mileage 58716 COST $774.00

#3 ·
2011 GMC 3500, 15,000 miles. 'three weeks ago DEF message, went away before I could read it, something about exhaust ..... see owner's manual. Message went away but engine light on. I filled with DEF, CEL light remained on for a few days then went out. All good, or so I thought. Next came DEF quality poor. That too went away after a few days. Then just two days ago the CEL came on again, no message, still on. I can no longer trust the truck. From the same GMC dealer I have bought 4 vehicles, a 2004 Yukon, 2004 Sierra 2500 (gas), 200t Sierra (gas), and this 2011 Sierra 3500 D-Max. I can't risk DEF problems causing me to limp when I'm 1,000 miles from home. I loved the truck until now, but it will soon be replaced with a RAM 3500 and, yes, a manual tranny.

#4 ·
Fathers 2011 lml. Needs def tank sensor recalibrated. Been done once but problem is back. Message pops up saying 300 miles left no matter what. 6xxx miles on truck now.

#6 ·
2011 lml. Something went wrong and threw a bunch of codes, truck had to be limped to the dealer and reprogrammed. Replaced the nox sensor in the fall. Replaced temperature sensor in def tank last winter. All this was under warranty and all happened within 40,000 miles.

#7 ·
I traveled a lot in my previous job with my LML. Without my truck i would not be able to work. Here were my problems....

Went to the dealer 2 times down in New Orleans They told me the first time that they had to reset the codes. It came back on with thin hours of leaving the dealership. Brought it back and they replaced the tank and the sensor. That lasted a couple weeks before DEF message came back on.

Brought it back in again this time to a dealership in Franklin IN and they told me that they had to go and replace several sensors and the tank!!!(beyond my knowledge of comprehension to why) So far it has been 1 year without any problems. I am currently sitting at 66,000 miles and can not wait until my warranty ends to take off all the emissions stuff!

#8 ·
Bought a CPO 2012 LML in April.

- drove 210 miles and got poor DEF quality
- dealer "reset" computer and DEF quality message back in 3 miles
- dealer replaced NOC sensor and still problem
- replaced the tank sensor and still problem
- flushed the tank and still problem
- dealer kept truck for 10 days, GM flew out tech from Detroit and repaired all kinds of stuff with a bill of $7,700+ all under warranty
- drove the truck 38 miles and poor DEF quality was back on
- returned to dealer and cancelled the deal
- talked to them 2 weeks later and shop manager said they still hadn't figured it out

I'll admit the dealer was great and reputation for diesel mechanic capability in Minneapolis is top-notch. They took me out of the truck and got a killer deal on a 2013 which has 2800 miles on it with no problems/issues yet but admit I'm somewhat worried - hoping I had my string of bad luck with this issue as I love the new GMC!

#9 ·
When new mine did a regen once per tank, now it does it twice per tank, with no change in driving habits or loading. Soon it will spend as much time in regen as not. I can't get near a dealer because all their diesel techs are booked up weeks in advance. When I asked the service writer what were the reasons for the backlog, he replied "same as yours".

#12 ·
These seem to be predominately model year 2011. Like a woman who cheats just ine time can never again be trusted, so it is with my truck. Yesterday the CEL light went out again but it no doubt will reappear within the next few hundred miles. I just can't trust my truck anymore, so any long distance hauls are out of the question. The truck has become useless to me for anything but hauling groceries to home from the market. Well, I actually haul steel for relatively short trips, but the occasional long distance haul is out of the question. Every GM engineer who was involved in the design, testing, and approval of GM's DEF system should be sacked.

Reactions: Jack Byers
#17 ·
Mine is a 2011 too. I talked to the original owner and shortly after he got it he had a poor quality DEF error when he was out of town. Dealer drained and replaced the tank and DEF fluid. Truck was OK until shortly after I got it. Dealer forced 3 regens before replacing the NOX sensor. They did compensate me for the almost 5 gallons of fuel they burned during the troubleshooting! Topped off the DEF tank too.

#13 ·
2011 LML. DIC stated x amount of miles until shut down. I filled the DEF tank and did not reboot. Got down to about forty miles until shut down and stopped at a local dealer[Henderson,Ky Chevrolet-SUCKS]. Before stopping I called GM and expressed my concerns that the dealership would 'adjust' other systems in addition to the DEF recall that I had not completed. GM rep called Henderson Chev and asked if I could bring he truck in since I was on the road pulling a thirty foot trailer. They said bring it in and they would do the DEF recall. They reset the DIC and did the DEF recall and charged me 50 bucks for the reset fee. They also advised I would have to pay for the NOX sensor since their tech said mine were bad. I asked is this not covered under warranty. NO was the answer.
I said I would take my truck somewhere else. I am a LEO and contacted the Chev dealership that services/repairs our Sheriffs patrol vehicles. They said 'bring it in'. They said the NOX sensor were covered under the warranty and they replaced the problem sensor with zero charge. Thanks Law Chevrolet,Boonville,Indiana.
Zero problems since then.
I was zapped fifty bucks by the Henderson stealership just because. I complained to GM about the fifty bucks and they asked if I would 'settle' for a 100 dollar gift card. I said NO and that I wanted my fifty bucks back. I'm still unhappy about the fifty bucks.

#14 ·
My 2012 lml flashed something on the dic dealing with the def system. Before i could read it, it was gone. Then it showed 24% def. I filled the tank. Seeings how i was 400 miles from home. Checked my edge insight to see the code p229f. Called Edmark Chevy in Nampa Idaho. They said bring it in. They checked the codes said it was a history code... I check my insight all the time for codes. Def still says 24%. Not sure what to do now...

#16 ·
2011 Duramax NOX sensor @ 750 miles, 3 DEF Quality Poor messages since all were Force Regen'd and recalibrated. I'm @ 28xxx and no problems lately....fingers crossed!!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#18 ·
Mine is a 2012. Only problem I've had is a loose down pipe. #9 injector would spray fuel outside of pipe. Smoke like on fire. Clamp and gasket fixed. Dealership a pleasure to work with.

#19 ·
2011 LML, throwing DEF codes, had DEF tank and sensor replaced at about 30K miles. All under warranty also TCM module burnt, limped truck so bad that it wasnt driveable, towed to dealer, replaced under warranty.

#20 ·
Only problem iv had is the WT LML is regening every 200-230 miles. This 1st happen when I was using a fuel additive. I quit using the additive & it returned to normal. Then on the last 3 full fill ups the thing regens like before, every 200-230 miles. Driving habits are the same. & the dealer is no help. I get the GM motto of "No code, no problem." Im thinking of trading the LML for a 3/4 tons gasser if this shit keeps up. :mad:

#23 ·
gas wouldn't work for me. Personally if i could get by with a gas truck i wouldn't buy a diesel

#26 ·
Thats good news Kel, however, I have my doubts if GM will do a thing about it. I am really disheartened by the dealers and GMs lack of enthusiasm about the repairs made. I really do hope they will pay attention and do something about it. At the very least a recall is in order. By my count there are 16 so far.

Gentlemen, please keep posting if you've had issues.

#22 ·
2011 LML Father's - Both NOx sensors, just out of warranty (110,000kms)- Cost $900 (approx.)

#27 ·
After 39k of flawless miles with 2011 duramax. DEF quality poor . On the first go round i was able to clear the problem with 70mph runs, then the CEL light came on after the quality light was gone. Took it to the dealer at 39k they did the re flash and all was well for about 2000 miles.

@41k and quality poor is back on. cleared it with 70 mph run. Light is goes off, but still went to dealer. Dealer says not running GM DEF fluid is causing the light. Which I think is total BS since I have been using blue DEF for the life of the truck.

After telling asking dealer to check NOX sensor #2 dealer checked and changed NOX sensor #2

@50k now all repairs done under warranty

#543 ·
2011 duramax

Now at 71000 getting CEL --P205b. Dealer seems to think its NOX sensors again have an appt on Monday.

From what I see here it seems like new tank assembly or temp sensor is the problem. Has anyone had p205b fixed WITH NOX sensor change?

Anyone know how long before 55mph limit or limp mode from the p205b CEL?? Trying to make it to work and back on Monday.....

#28 ·
The common theme is that def quality problems are usually NOx sensors. It would be interesting to know if there is any relationship between the sensor issue and any fuel additives that are being used.

The same additive question applies regarding trucks which seem to have shorter than normal regen intervals.

Reactions: CDNBlueThunder
#31 ·
My truck had the 2nd NOX sensor problem after the dealer let it idle for a LONGGGGGGG time while setting up the satellite radio and OnStar. I wonder if in town driving, and lots of idling have caused some of these issues? The fact that some guys can temporarily make their problem go away with a high speed blast makes me wonder why. Higher EGT helps keep NOX sensor clean and working?

#29 ·
WileE, lots more than 16 have posted this issue on this (and the other) site 'as the problems occured'. They may not all be regular readers/contributors.

Maybe Kelly J could wade thru the old posts and dig up this information.
(I'm sort of betting that GM already has and that the result is one of the reasons they have assigned someone to help us get the dealers to correctly diagnose).

Kelly we thank you for your efforts.

Reactions: SMaines
#30 ·
Hey ya'll,

Thank you for posting with your concerns! If anyone is currently experiencing these issues please private message me so I may assist. If you have already had the issues resolved please post as well because as I have told WileE, I will continue to document :)

You're welcome redwngr! I enjoy being part of this community and helping where I can! I have been on this site for about 5 months and LOVE every minute of it.

Kelly J.
GM Customer Care

#1,349 ·
same problem

Kelly J. I have a 2013 with 32,347 miles it is throwing the poor quality fluid message. Will go in shop Monday morning. Talk to three dealers Friday while on road did not get much help three different answers. Been using same fluid since i purchased the truck new. thanks. Rturnage