2016 Oil leak - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 215 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

2016 Oil leak

Anyone having any issues with 2016 or any lml leaking oil? Noticed few spots on driveway and looked underneath to find oil leak. Residue as far up as the starter on pass side and all across bottom of bellhousing. Don't know if leaky pan or rear main possibly? Just traded 03 with 250k with not a single leak for new one that already leaks oil with only 7500. Any simular issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 215 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 06:32 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Mine is slightly damp around the oil level sensor, but no leaks.
post #3 of 215 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 07:36 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Seems all years of Duramax have oil pan leak problems, needs new RTV on pan. Not saying that's what yours is though

06 LBZ ECLB
5% tints | 5" straight pipe with axle dump | 20" lml wheels with 33x12.5 MTs | motorsporttech aluminum custom spacers | power steering cooler with magnefine | awaiting retrofit....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 215 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 08:23 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Did you just have an oil change by chance? If so, sometimes the mechanics do not clean oil that spills on the frame below the oil pan. Just a thought

Current Truck: 2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax 2500, loaded.

Former Trucks:2016 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax Z71. every option with the exception of rear seat video. Snugtop truck cap with keyless entry, Edge Insight CTS II, custom rear back up camera for my boat trailer with quick disconnects.,2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500 HD Crewcab, Duramax, Z-71 (4x4),Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, EGR fender flares, Century cap with interior carpet, BedRug, S & B cold air intake, stainless nerf bars, Banks DPF back Monster Exhaust, GM Under rear seat box, Edge
post #5 of 215 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

I'm the only one that has ever changed the oil and made sure I got everything spotless.
post #6 of 215 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 06:32 AM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Hello Nsalisbury44,

We are sorry to hear about your 2016 Duramax oil leak concern. Please send us a private message if you have any questions. We’re more than happy to provide an extra layer of assistance.

Regards,

Anthony J.
GM Customer Care
post #7 of 215 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Just took it to the dealership. When showing them notice it is leaking so bad now that oil has slung all the way to the rear-end. B.S. for a brand new truck.
Attached Images

post #8 of 215 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsalisbury44 View Post
Just took it to the dealership. When showing them notice it is leaking so bad now that oil has slung all the way to the rear-end. B.S. for a brand new truck.
Yip, looks like the usual oil leak to me. I had the same issue on my 2011. There are many threads on this same topic.

It looks like to me they don't want to hold up production to allow the sealant to properly cure. If it leaks then it become a dealer issue. They probably figure the few that would possibly leak isn't worth holding up production and costing money. That's my opinion.

Maybe we should rag on GM about their piss poor pan design that leaves oil in the pan when it is changed too. If an aftermarket company can develop a flat bottom pan then why the hell can't they do it right. Jerk off engineers!
V876 likes this.
post #9 of 215 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 09:27 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Mine looks worse than that

06 LBZ ECLB
5% tints | 5" straight pipe with axle dump | 20" lml wheels with 33x12.5 MTs | motorsporttech aluminum custom spacers | power steering cooler with magnefine | awaiting retrofit....
post #10 of 215 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 11:23 AM

Same place on my 16. Took mine in and dealer had the gall to tell me it was not leaking. I went home thoroughly cleaned the area and it was damp a few days later. I have 3800 miles on it as of right now. I first noticed mine at 3100 miles when I was changing the oil for the first time. I think it is the oil galley plug leaking and not the actual oil pan joining. I don't expect my dealer to anything about it. I will give them one more shot then I am calling GM about it.

I just went through a oil leaking Toyota Tundra for the past 6 months and the whole top of the engine was taken apart to fix it. After that it had many other issues start to happen. Toyota has seen my last dollar due to the way it was all handled or shall I say mishandled.

2016 GMC Sierra Denali HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode