Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Exhaust Fluid 28% Remaining after filling tank

3K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  6.5 Diesel 
#1 ·
I was pulling my fifth wheel in North Carolina in May and got the message that Def was low. I added 2.5 gal. and it only showed that it was at 28%. I added more the next day with no change. As of Oct. 6th it is still showing 28% remaining. I have put several thousand miles pulling my fifth wheel and have not added any def since May. I'm wondering if I am lucky that its stuck or am I going to get far from home and have the truck shut down on me.
Help!

#3 ·
Take it to the dealer & have it checked. Last thing you want is for it to put you into limp mode while pulling your trailer.

#4 ·
Mine did the same thing last winter before a snowmobiling trip. Same as you at about 28%. I poured 2.5 gal in and didn't reset so I added more while driving through the night. Finally after driving about 350 miles it magically reset. I am deleted now, so I don't have to worry about it leaving me stranded. I would take it to the dealer as mentioned above and have them reset it and see if it changes. Might have a bad level sensor in the def tank too.

#8 ·
Try reflashing the computer and reloading the Tune, maybe that will help?

#10 ·
Want to delete our 2013 Duramax dually next year and wondering what most people use to do this? Don't know anything about it so please list where you buy what you need online and what is all needed. Appreciate all the help that you can give me.
I'm and old timer so will need to explain things so i can understand! LOL
I don't want anything radical just a good tune for mileage and towing our 42' Keystone Raptor Toyhauler.
Thank you kindly!

#11 ·
I see many people deleting trucks, I have no real info on it though, Before you want to delete though, try tuning it since you are towing a trailer. I don't like to advertise, but at DuramaxTuner.com, their spade tuner has a Light tow tune and a heavy tow tune, Put in your model and make and if you are towing < 8000 use the light tow tune, If > 8000 use the heavy tow tune :) I would try tuning before deleting, including with a trailer, if your stop and go, stop and go, the soot may build up on the trailer, I couldn't tell you, but that's my thought.

#13 ·
If you want to delete, fine by me, but with a trailer, I would try putting a tow tune on it before hand, towing more than 8000 lb, put a heavy tune, below 8000 a light tow, try that before hand and see how you like it is my opinion

#14 ·
How would one go about doing this? If you tune with emissions on then decide you want to delete wouldn't you have to pay twice? Once for the emissions tunes to "try" it and then if you delete you would have to buy the delete tunes.

Having said that, the only downside of a delete over emissions compliant is you would then have a noticable diesel smell outside the truck, and you may have small puffs of soot until late the turbo spools (only if you smash the pedal).

#15 ·
Question before i continue, Are you adding Fass fuel systems?

#16 ·
If you have the tuner you can get the programs for different tunes online, yes most sites you have to buy them but other than that, It's your choice. I can't tell you to do anything, it's your truck. If you have the mindset that you want to delete it, you do you, I was giving the idea to maybe see if you would like it still to have emissions equipped since your pulling a trailer and say at stoplights when you get on it with a trailer the soot may build up on the trailer.

#18 ·
Better fuel pressure under load, stock fuel pump could not keep up with the tunes most of the time, 150 gph helps alot. If you like that delete do it, but Definitely add fass, it is a life saver! take my advice for the fass pump, if you want to delete though you can do it, its your choice :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.