2015, first fuel filter change - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

2015, first fuel filter change

Just got done the first fuel filter change on my 2015 Denali. Fuel filter life remaining 61%, total milage 16,289, 503hrs, 23 months on the truck. While I was at it I added the Mad Jack fuel filter access panel, this is going to make these filter changes much easier going fwd.

Pictures of the two year old filter and access panel.
Attached Images

Black HD, Fredn3ck and Crawz like this.

2018 GMC Denali 3500 SRW CC SB 4x4 D/A in Frost white.

2015.5 GMC Denali 3500 SRW CC SB 4x4 D/A in Summit white. Traded

2013 Cadillac CTS-V Black Raven coupe 6mt.

2012 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 3500 SRW CC SB 4x4 D/A in Graystone metallic. Traded

2003 GMC SLE 2500 CC SB 4x4 D/A in Summit white. SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 09:37 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Nice. Did you remove the fender liner to install the access panel or install in place?

2005 Toyota Tacoma DC 4x4 4.0L TRD Off-Road
2008 Yamaha Zuma YW 50

2015 GMC 2500 Denali HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison Black on Black
2016 Grand Design Momentum M-Class 350M Toy Hauler
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black HD View Post
Nice. Did you remove the fender liner to install the access panel or install in place?
I removed it. It was a bear to get back in as I have the GMC and the black trim that goes around the wheel openings, takes a bit to slide it into that tight gap.. LOL!

2018 GMC Denali 3500 SRW CC SB 4x4 D/A in Frost white.

2015.5 GMC Denali 3500 SRW CC SB 4x4 D/A in Summit white. Traded

2013 Cadillac CTS-V Black Raven coupe 6mt.

2012 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 3500 SRW CC SB 4x4 D/A in Graystone metallic. Traded

2003 GMC SLE 2500 CC SB 4x4 D/A in Summit white. SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 09:47 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Thanks. I may attempt mine w/o removing it when I'm ready to change the filter.

2005 Toyota Tacoma DC 4x4 4.0L TRD Off-Road
2008 Yamaha Zuma YW 50

2015 GMC 2500 Denali HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison Black on Black
2016 Grand Design Momentum M-Class 350M Toy Hauler
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 05:56 AM

I don't know much about diesel fuel filters, but just the discoloration is enough to consider changing mine (2015 with 3,9xx miles). The truck sits around a lot and rarely gets driven more than 30-40 minutes at a time.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 07:26 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyno Dan View Post
I don't know much about diesel fuel filters,...
Pics seen are normal for the primary media, but that's the 1st I've seen the secondary media showing some use. Unused voids will be present, as it's under vacuum pulling thru the filter. A used fuel filter's efficiency climbs with use (filters better), to a degree.

You have to wonder though, as there are many threads like this (late model LMLs) with higher filter mileage than most earlier models produced,....is there a correlation between the filter media usage and the CP4 pump (which has a growing history of failing a.k.a $grenade$)?

Does the new acDelco filter (TP3018 vs the older TP3012), in conjunction with the CP4, affect the DIC% parameters, where input has the filter life going far beyond earlier LMLs?

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em_Horns! View Post
Pics seen are normal for the primary media, but that's the 1st I've seen the secondary media showing some use. Unused voids will be present, as it's under vacuum pulling thru the filter. A used fuel filter's efficiency climbs with use (filters better), to a degree.

You have to wonder though, as there are many threads like this (late model LMLs) with higher filter mileage than most earlier models produced,....is there a correlation between the filter media usage and the CP4 pump (which has a growing history of failing a.k.a $grenade$)?

Does the new acDelco filter (TP3018 vs the older TP3012), in conjunction with the CP4, affect the DIC% parameters, where input has the filter life going far beyond earlier LMLs?
I'm sure some of you have seen my comments on this. Exactly your first comment. Which is why I follow the filter percentage, but I also drain my filter from time to time, and I never let my tank go below 3/8. I have never gotten any water out of that thing...ever. However, my guess is that owners are forgetting to drain the water out of the bottom of the filter. Once enough water is held in the filer the media can't work to separate anymore and some sneaks by. I remember seeing a post that greater than 90% of all CP4 failures were water based. The other possibility is that after 2 years there is a chance that debris can build up on the back side of the filter and eventually break loose.

Even the Ford guys have had CP4 failures at a 22500 change interval. They have to change 2 filters, the water separator and the one near the fuel rail.

I have roughly 48k miles on the current filter (11% remaining) and I have a really clean source. I am going to change it really soon. I noticed that if I drive the truck cold it will fall flat on its face and my mileage has gone down slightly.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 06:59 PM
DuramaxForum Guru

Nicely done.

2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE CC/SB 4x4 LMM
EFI Live, Edge Insight CTS, Flo~Pro 4" DP back exhaust w/ muffler & stock trumpet tip, Turbo resonator delete plug, Alum. bleeder screw, WIF sensor delete plug, Fumoto oil drain valve, Pacer LED cab lights, GM dually light bar under tailgate, Footwell lights, Cobra 29 WXNWST CB radio, Wilson 2000 CB antenna, Kenwood speakers, GM chrome oval running boards, Bilstein 5100s, Michelin Defender M/S on PY0 wheels, Rubber mud flaps, Curt class IV hitch
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 03:41 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBlackTruck View Post
I'm sure some of you have seen my comments on this. Exactly your first comment. Which is why I follow the filter percentage, but I also drain my filter from time to time, and I never let my tank go below 3/8. I have never gotten any water out of that thing...ever. However, my guess is that owners are forgetting to drain the water out of the bottom of the filter. Once enough water is held in the filer the media can't work to separate anymore and some sneaks by. I remember seeing a post that greater than 90% of all CP4 failures were water based. The other possibility is that after 2 years there is a chance that debris can build up on the back side of the filter and eventually break loose.

Even the Ford guys have had CP4 failures at a 22500 change interval. They have to change 2 filters, the water separator and the one near the fuel rail.

I have roughly 48k miles on the current filter (11% remaining) and I have a really clean source. I am going to change it really soon. I noticed that if I drive the truck cold it will fall flat on its face and my mileage has gone down slightly.
I've always wondered if adding the AD 2 165-4G affects the DIC's FFL percentage. The manual I read says not to let the fuel filter get over 2 years or 20,000 miles so it is confusing as to what to follow. I am chancing my fuel filter for the first time here at 17,000 miles next weekend along with my airdog fuel filter and water seperator.

2016 Sierra 3500HD Denali CCSB SRW
UDP Tunes on V2/SOTF Switch/Danville 63.5 Billet-S480FMW Billet Twins by WCFab(Illusion Blue)/Exergy 100% Injectors/Exergy 12MM CP3/Banks Intercooler/HSP Billet Manifolds/PPE Up Pipes/PPE Oil Pan/PPE Deep Trans Pan/AirDog 165 II-4G/FloPro 5" SS Turbo Back/MBRP 6" SS Tip/CTS2 Insight/EDGE EGT Probe/EDGE 0-100 Boost Sensor/Cognito 4-6/Cognito Front Driveline/Cognito Swaybar/Cognito PISK/PPE Tie Rods/King 2.5 Resis/Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Bags/Air Lift Wireless One Compressor/Wilwood TX6R Brakes Front and Back/LT325/60R20 BFG KO2s/20x9 Method 309s/AMP Steps/Yukon 4.11s/Royalty Core RC1/Retrax Powertrax Pro MX/Titan STAFS 30 Gallon/JL C5s/JL 12TW3-D4/JL VX600/6i/JL XD300/1V2
Mike L Trans (Goerend R/Alto G3s/RatioTek)

SOLD2015.5 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali CCSB
SOLD2007.5 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT CCSB SDP Twins/Mike L Trans/ATP Tunes

If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 10:47 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

It typically doesn't effect the dic. In order to keep things working at their peak I do the lp fws and filter at an alternated intveral with the OEM. I don't even check the ws on the tertiary but I drain the lp fws every few months for peace of mind. I change the OEM on a 25k ish rotation as the other filters keep it very clean

LMM CCSB with stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode