Service Emission System - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 08:48 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

My 11 gave me the same issues. 1st it was a bad bank 1 nox sensor, 90 miles later they had to replace the whole DEF tank, later that year I noticed when I get on it there would be a greyish white cloud of smoke come from the tail pipe but cleared up quick, the following year it was bank 2 nox sensor and within a few months of that was the EGR valve replacement. All of this was under warranty and once the egr was done, it had about 60,000 on it, I traded it in for a 15. May end up having the same issues with the 15, but if I do I ain't buying another new truck, my wallet can't handle another new truck purchase, I'll just delete all this crap and be done with it.
FLTtest25 likes this.

2015 3500HD LTZ Crew, Dually, 4x4, B&W Turnover/Companion, Mag Hytech DD trans pan, AAM finned rear diff cover, bone stock
99 2500 Cummins in frame off restoration (slow process)
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98...sto-build.html
2017 Northpoint 375BHFS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 09:18 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

Garage
I just traded off a custom ordered 14 Ford SD 6.7, the truck was great with no problems until I hit about 75,000 and all hell broke loose with the DPF system. I had two different dealers tell me it needed $5,500 in maintenance that would not be covered under warranty, and it also needed a new set of tires. Went by the auto parts cleared all the codes and then traded it.Can I afford a new truck yes, I just don't want the headaches any more with the new emissions garbage. I will take the truck I just bought and modify it it suit me. The I will just keep it. I drive alot of miles 20k plus every year, once I am done with modifications my truck should last a very long time without the headaches.

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD LT CCLB Dually LMM - All Stock - For Now...
Build Thread Here
39,750 Original Miles

RPO Tag:
MJJR5F, CK30943, AG1, AJ1, AM1, AP3, AT8, AU3, AZ3, A31, A68, B30, B32, B33, B85, CJ2, CMD, C49, C7W, DF5, DH6, DK8, DPN, E63, FE9, FT2, FT3, GT4, G80, JH7, JL1, KC4, KG7, KNP, K05, K34, K47, LMM, MW7, NP5, NQF, NT8, QBD, QR5, Q9A, R6K, R8A, R9N, R9Z, SAF, SLM, TUV, T74, T96, UEI, UK3, UQ3, US8, UY2, U01, U2K, VB3, VC0, VG3, VH9, VK3, VR4, VT7, VXS, V10, V22, V73, V76, X88, YD3, YD5, YD6, YE9, ZBD, ZY1, Z82, Z85, 1LT, ISZ, 19D, 191, 59U, 6GL, 7GL, BC/CC, U 926L, 19D
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 11:41 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB64 View Post
This same message just came up on my 2018 Duramax with under 600 miles, I traded my 17 Powerstroke in last week with 17K miles because front hub went bad and first ford I've ever owned and the last.
unfortunately I fear my new Duramax has let me down today but the temp is -10 deg so I'm giving some consideration. When I spend 60K plus on trucks I don't want to be concerned I cant get out of driveway.
Not impressed
Any thoughts?
Yours is an L5P, (2017 -2018) not an LML(2011 -2016), so likely different issue(s) than anything in this thread.

When did you take delivery?

If prior to Nov 1, has it been back for the recall? (or do you know it it needs it?)

2018 GMC 2500 L5P CCSB 4x4 Denali - Mineral Metallic; previous '11 LML, '10 LMM and 04.5 LLY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 06:49 PM

Just created an account this evening because of this thread. I'm having the exact same issue as many of you...175 miles until 65mph max speed. Then it flashes to Service Emissions and Check Owners Manual. 2015 3500 Denali w/ 40k. I have a bumper to bumper warranty until 100k so I should be good to go when I take it in tomorrow.
But I'm curious to know what goes into "deleting" the emissions components. I've seen guys talk about that for 10+ years and I don't really understand how it works. Will a dealer flash your computer and remove those items or do you have to take it to an independent diesel shop? I assume doing this will void any warranties? I may need to wait until after I hit the 100k mark if that's the case.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 11:12 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by camden View Post
Just created an account this evening because of this thread. I'm having the exact same issue as many of you...175 miles until 65mph max speed. Then it flashes to Service Emissions and Check Owners Manual. 2015 3500 Denali w/ 40k. I have a bumper to bumper warranty until 100k so I should be good to go when I take it in tomorrow.

But I'm curious to know what goes into "deleting" the emissions components. I've seen guys talk about that for 10+ years and I don't really understand how it works. Will a dealer flash your computer and remove those items or do you have to take it to an independent diesel shop? I assume doing this will void any warranties? I may need to wait until after I hit the 100k mark if that's the case.

Indy shop or do it yourself. If you live in a state where diesel smog test isnít done, consider deleting and tuning. I love my truck now and after dealing w emission fault codes, Iím so glad that I got rid of it.

You are taking out DPF and cat and striaght piping it and unplugging or removing egr. So your truck doesnít rely on regen or def fluids. You need a tune to get rid of all the warning lights Now your truck is able to breathe so much better. Itís like ha ign your butt plugged and you are trying to fart. Canít do it efficiently lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 09:45 AM

In the US the federal requirement is for emissions controls to be warrantied for 7 years or 120,000 miles and this applies to anything involving the DEF system as well as the NOx sensors and EGR and related components. Problem is finding a competent diesel mechanic at a Chevy dealership. There are 4 Chevy dealers in my area and only one has a competent diesel mechanic. This one mechanic is not the best and it can take two trips to get a problem fixed but with the other dealer's mechanics nothing gets fixed and I still get charged for "repairs".

There are clearly bugs in the GM firmware that manage the ECM and process the sensor outputs. I have had multiple dealers service managers tell me everything was up to date and yet last month my truck was disabled and it was a problem that dated back to August of 2011 that has a TSB issued but none of the dealers' shops had applied to my truck. I remember the problems when catalytic converters and advanced emissions control systems were first introduced on gas powered vehicles and how it compromised reliability and made it much more expensive to maintain them. We are at a similar point in time with respect to diesel and DEF and emissions control systems reliability. I can do all the required maintenance and still find myself stuck out on the highway do to a firmware bug in the ECM. It does not make for a happy camper.

"In almost every case (where the United States has fought wars) our overwhelming commitment to freedom, democracy and human rights has required us to support those regimes that would deny freedom, democracy and human rights to their own people." - Gore Vidal
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 01:43 PM

I have an update on my truck. There's an emissions sensor behind the block that needs replacing. It's an 8hr job that requires cab removal according to the dealership. It's all under warranty so from that standpoint I'm in good shape. Sounds like a painstaking repair though...
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 09:00 AM

How much would a dealer or independent shop charge to flash ECM with the most current firmware? I am getting a P205B and random fluid level readings on the DEF when i know that it is full. I changed the tank heater out yesterday and the code is still popping up. Also have P2493 and P140A codes related to EGR by pass cooler that keep showing up. 2011 LML with 229,600 miles.

2011 2500HD LTZ CCSB (LML)
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB64 View Post
This same message just came up on my 2018 Duramax with under 600 miles, I traded my 17 Powerstroke in last week with 17K miles because front hub went bad and first ford I've ever owned and the last.
unfortunately I fear my new Duramax has let me down today but the temp is -10 deg so I'm giving some consideration. When I spend 60K plus on trucks I don't want to be concerned I cant get out of driveway.
Not impressed
Any thoughts?
I had a similar problem with my brand new 2017 when it had 250 miles on it. The lights came on and it kicked me into safe mode. On Star directed me to drive to the nearest dealership for immediate service. It was also below zero outside and apparently the dealer filled my tank for me without using any winter additive. Cost to fix was only 280.00 which they covered and I've been careful to use anti-gel additive since. 2500 miles later, no problems.

2017 Chevy 2500HD Crew Std. Bed
Duramax L5P

post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 07:43 PM

Had a similar issue with my 2012 and it turned out to be a faulty nox sensor.

2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD CCSB
Summit White
All Stock For Now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode