High Mileage Reports - With Stock Cp4 - Page 14 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #131 of 140 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 05:41 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Another update. We just drove up to Jacksonville, FL from Punta Gorda, FL and now have 157,700 miles. Still running strong. Any ideas from those of you with similar miles on how best to keep things reliable? I'm always happy to benefit from those of you with more experience!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 140 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 05:53 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark001 View Post
Another update. We just drove up to Jacksonville, FL from Punta Gorda, FL and now have 157,700 miles. Still running strong. Any ideas from those of you with similar miles on how best to keep things reliable? I'm always happy to benefit from those of you with more experience!
based on what i have put together from this site and others the best bet seems to be to run a good additive and or biodiesel to increase fuel lubricity, use good quality filters (bob did a tear down comparison on the big names) and fill up from busy reliable stations so you dont get watery fuel. Thats really all that you can "do", at least within reason.

A note on the filters, Bobs testing showed that some filters may not remove water to the degree we would expect them to, water kills pumps and injectors so the filter brand may be something to consider when replacing fuel filters in addition to the previously mentioned best practices.
Black HD likes this.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
post #133 of 140 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 08:07 AM

Just rolled over 77k on my 2011. Also just did a 4000 mile round trip from New York to Colorado using dieselkleen additive. I always monitor DFRP and FRP on my edge cts2
6686L likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #134 of 140 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 10:34 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

I know this forum goes back a ways and has been the subject of some very interesting conversation to say the least, bacon anyone? I'm new to the game and bought my LML knowing about the CP4 issues to an extent. There are many LML's running around my town, and its nothing I've ever heard of casually, but my brother in law works for a local diesel shop, and he says they do many CP3 conversions a year, so we are going to eventually do one on mine (2012 2500 w/ 56K miles).

I'm nervous about my truck just a little bit. It doesn't surprise me that many people get 200K plus on the pumps without an issue. They likely drive the truck hundreds of miles weekly, fill up weekly and do solid regular maintenance. On the flip side, my truck has not been a daily driver previously, and wont be for me either. Its got a fraction of the miles of a typical truck in 8+ years. I'm the third owner and I know the 2nd owner. Adult owned and maintained (I know the owner of the shop where he did the maintenance). So running quality fuel, additives (I picked up some stanadyne high lubricity formula last night) and keeping the filters changed regularly are important. Unfortunately that doesn't guarantee the pump wont grenade and cause $10K in damage.

Hopefully, the truck lasts me forever. It sounds like for the most part these trucks are amazing, and the L5P's have been borderline nightmarish. I intend to maintain it meticulously, use quality fuel and filters and fuel additives.
post #135 of 140 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 10:59 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

American DMAX, do you know why the shop doing the CP3 conversions is doing those jobs? Is it mostly elective by owners doing a pre-emptive change, or are they switching as the result of an actual CP4 failure?
BTW, I've put my engine and transmission on an oil analysis program with Blackstone Labs. First report states that both are "exceptionally clean" at 158,400 miles - very low wear indications. I'm going to keep things stock, use severe duty service intervals and a lubricity enhancer. I want to see just how many miles I can get out of this truck!
post #136 of 140 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 12:21 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark001 View Post
American DMAX, do you know why the shop doing the CP3 conversions is doing those jobs? Is it mostly elective by owners doing a pre-emptive change, or are they switching as the result of an actual CP4 failure?
The majority of their swaps are preventative however when someone shells out a CP4, this shop insists on a CP3 conversion. I don't have exact figures, however my BIL said he has done several conversions in the last year.

Fear of the unknown drives many people (including myself) to do the preventative work. $1700-$2500 for parts vs $10000 for repairs. That's a big jump. I get that your engine oil is clean, but is that indicative of whats happening on the fuel side of things? The CP4 is lubricated only by fuel, so there would not be any fuel pump indications in your engine oil, that I'm aware of. Unless the pump deposits fuel into the engine oil in some way shape or form before it fails and the oil analysis picks it up.

2012 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 CCSB
Purchased 01/20 @ 57K Miles
H&S Mini Maxx
S&B Intake
5" Full Length Exhaust
post #137 of 140 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 03:14 PM

High Mileage Reports - With Stock Cp4

Do CP3 conversions exist for emissions intact trucks? The ones Iíve seen all appear to require a delete and tune...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rat

-----------
2011 2500 HD Silverado Z71 - LTZ - Imperial Blue Metallic - Crew Cab - Standard Box
Line-X
DiamondBack HD
Banks Monster Exhaust & Intake / AirDog II / CAT Adaptor / AMSOIL Bypass Filter Kit / Titan 57gal Tank
-----------
post #138 of 140 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 03:25 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankerpilot01 View Post
Do CP3 conversions exist for emissions intact trucks? The ones Iíve seen all appear to require a delete and tune...

This is the kit I'm looking at:

https://www.xtremediesel.com/industr...-kit-with-pump

S&S Makes a similar kit but for $2500
tankerpilot01 likes this.

2012 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 CCSB
Purchased 01/20 @ 57K Miles
H&S Mini Maxx
S&B Intake
5" Full Length Exhaust
post #139 of 140 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by American DMAX View Post
This is the kit I'm looking at:

https://www.xtremediesel.com/industr...-kit-with-pump

S&S Makes a similar kit but for $2500

Thanks! Hadnít come across those.

Rat

-----------
2011 2500 HD Silverado Z71 - LTZ - Imperial Blue Metallic - Crew Cab - Standard Box
Line-X
DiamondBack HD
Banks Monster Exhaust & Intake / AirDog II / CAT Adaptor / AMSOIL Bypass Filter Kit / Titan 57gal Tank
-----------
post #140 of 140 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 06:42 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

American DMAX, I understand how the CP4 pump and fuel delivery system works. I just added the BTW to my post as an update to my previous posts to the high mileage theme of this thread. I'm mostly interested in how stock setups fare as they accumulate miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode