Fuel filter heater head is it worth it? - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 08:09 AM

Hello, I'm in Iowa, I have a 14, it did the exact same thing, blew fuse and gelled up in the fass. I treated with Howes and 30% kerosene and it didn,t make a difference at -30 deg. The only solution is a heater for the Fass. Like you I'm unable to get the fass heater kit so ordered the BD heater kit. It appears to be a good heater, guess i'll find out. I decided not to wait for the fass since the temperature is forecasted to be below zero again this week. Hopefully it arrives today! Good luck... Oh yeah, I've talked to two other people that have experienced the exact same problem and the heater kit solved the problem, they didn't gel up with the -30 temp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vent_tiger lml View Post
Hello, I'm in Iowa, I have a 14, it did the exact same thing, blew fuse and gelled up in the fass. I treated with Howes and 30% kerosene and it didn,t make a difference at -30 deg. The only solution is a heater for the Fass. Like you I'm unable to get the fass heater kit so ordered the BD heater kit. It appears to be a good heater, guess i'll find out. I decided not to wait for the fass since the temperature is forecasted to be below zero again this week. Hopefully it arrives today! Good luck... Oh yeah, I've talked to two other people that have experienced the exact same problem and the heater kit solved the problem, they didn't gel up with the -30 temp.
This interests me. I have been running my AirDog 4G 165 lift pump on my truck for 3 years now up here in ND and have had temps at or below -30 ambient every winter since installing and I have never had an issue. I actually had to travel 200 miles for work last week and when I left in the morning it was -33 ambient and I had no issues. As I mentioned in my last post, when you are hitting -30 or less a 50% blend and additive is what I run at an absolute minimum for No. 1 concentration.

I would still encourage people who are running blended fuel and additive and having issue to ask their station for their Bio content. As bio concentration goes up gelling potential goes up. I am very curious if your No.2 diesel has Bio in it and if so what percent.

2015 Chevy LML 2500HD LTZ CC/LB
14" Duraflap Mudflaps
ICI SS Running Boards
Bushwacker OE Fender Flares
Northland Aluminum Front Bumper
EDGE CTS2/EGT Probe
MBRP Downpipe /5" Flo Pro Exhaust
PPEI ECM/TCM Tunes
Airdog 4g 165 Lift Pump
Deviant EGR Plates/Merchant Auto PCV Reroute
295/55R20 Toyo MT's on Stock Rims/Height
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 12:32 PM

Hey 6.5, That IS interesting, maybe there's a difference in design between the Fass Titanium 165 and your AD that prevents it from gelling. Smaller passages in the housing of the fass or something of the like?? I am pretty sure the station I fill at does not have any bio in their fuel. It's a Phillips 66 and there is no signage on the pumps, and the cost is at least 20 to 30 cents higher than the bio blended fuel I see around here. That's why I only fuel up there. I also added 8 gal. of kerosene per tank of diesel and 16 oz. of Howes treatment and also replaced the filter and water separator on the fass before it got so cold. From what I'm hearing it seems to be a common issue with fass if you don't get the heater no matter how you treat. I would love to hear from someone who has had a different experience. For $150 I'll add the heater and hope it stops the gelling as it has for two other people I know about here in my area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 12:57 PM

One other comment, well two I guess. Once you add the heater to the lift pump, the heated filter housing for the factory filter is not necessary. The lift pump will constantly heat up all of the fuel in your tank while the truck is running, I think to somewhere between 40 and 60 deg. if your truck is running long enough. This will prevent any gelling. The second comment is about bio diesel, I think here in Iowa the common mixture is up to 10 percent in #2. However I'm not 100% sure as I don't run it in my truck. This is the first winter for me with the fass and also the first winter this cold since I've owned a diesel truck so it's been a real treat!!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 12:35 PM

Biodiesel is the main culprit and this is covered by GM with regard to 2011 and later engines that had the heater added so they could safely burn this fuel during the winter months.

"In almost every case (where the United States has fought wars) our overwhelming commitment to freedom, democracy and human rights has required us to support those regimes that would deny freedom, democracy and human rights to their own people." - Gore Vidal
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 12:27 PM

I got an '18 and the damn fuel filter has frozen several times. Ran the fuel out, changed the filter, added new fuel from different stations twice, added anti-gel fluid, changed the filter and at below 0 F it still won't start. Put a heat lamp on the filter housing and in 5 minutes it will start. Not happy with Duramax! Have to carry a generator and heat lamp if I go some place overnight.

'18 Ext Cab Z-71
'16 Reserve 26'
RC Jets
N8AGS
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

I have two heater for the fass coming and I'm also looking at buying a stock filter housing with the heater installed. Overkill? Probably, but it's cheaper than missing a day of work because I'm stuck on the side of the road. People have no idea how cold Minnesota gets in the winter.

2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali
Fass 150, CP3, Up pipe, Down pipe, EZ lynk w/ 5 tunes SOTF, Magnaflow exhaust, PCV re-route, 4 inch Fabtech lift, 35in tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode