Need advice!! - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By rage793
  • 2 Post By Hook'em_Horns!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Need advice!!

So the other day coming from Texas to Colorado truck lost power and started shaking. Upon pulling over and lifting the hood oil had been blown out of the dip stick and oil was blown out all over the driver side. Didn’t see any visible holes in the block or any thing. But not sure where the oil came from that was all over the front wheel and all down the side of the truck. The engine would start and run again. However it was deff missing. In fear of doing more damage I had it towed and had some one come pick up. Truck has 122k on it. EFI live, lift pump, inner cooler, intake bridge, cold air, 5” turbo back. I’m hoping it’s not as bad as I think it is. But worst case I really don’t want to put a stock motor back in. What are my options? Any opinions are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 07:40 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rage793 View Post
So the other day coming from Texas to Colorado truck lost power and started shaking. Upon pulling over and lifting the hood oil had been blown out of the dip stick and oil was blown out all over the driver side. Didnít see any visible holes in the block or any thing. But not sure where the oil came from that was all over the front wheel and all down the side of the truck. The engine would start and run again. However it was deff missing. In fear of doing more damage I had it towed and had some one come pick up. Truck has 122k on it. EFI live, lift pump, inner cooler, intake bridge, cold air, 5Ē turbo back. Iím hoping itís not as bad as I think it is. But worst case I really donít want to put a stock motor back in. What are my options? Any opinions are appreciated.
As much as it sucks to say it sounds like the crankcase was over pressurized and blew the dipstick/ oil out. This is usually a result of a piston getting a hole blown in it from a stuck injector or the piston cracking. Do a compression test and try and pinpoint what cylinder/piston may have went south. Either way it's going to be time to tear it down and replace what's bad or drop in another known good motor.

I know it's not what you want to hear but it's the likely scenario.

2005 LLY CCSB LT2 4X4
Driven by Austin
ECM Tuned by Kory @PPEI
TCM tuned by Dustin @DA

Performance: Bullseye Power S468_83_.90/ Profab WG Pedestal/AFE 3" Intercooler Tubes hot&cold/ 3" Custom Y Bridge/ 4" Custom Downpipe/ Custom 5" LBZ S&B Intake/ Exergy Sportsman CP3/ Suncoast Gmax-5/ Precision Converter/ RDP Manifolds/Uppipes/ AirDogII 165 w/ CAT filter/RDP Sump/ 5" Diamond Eye Straight Pipe/ PPEI EFI tuning with DSP-5/ TCM tuned by [email protected]

Appearance: 20x9 +18MM XD Hoss/ 305/50/20 Nitto 420S/ 2" Rear Spacers/ TBSS Steering Wheel Swap/ Factory Touchscreen Navigation Swap/ 2 MTX 10" Subs/LED lows&fogs/ Recon LED tails/ Kool-Vue Tow Mirrors/ Reflexxion Cowl Hood/Color matched grill

Supporting: DMAXStore Kryptonite Engine Mounts/ DA Transfer Case Brace/Pump Rub/ Dirty Hooker Steering Brace/ DHD Hybrid Water Pump/ 3" Drop Shackles/ Belltech Shocks/ Autometer Cobalts EGT&Boost/Edge CTS/ Rare Parts Extreme Tie Rods/ PCV Re-routed/ FPRV Shimmed/Red Head Steering Gearbox/ Tailgate EZ-Down/ 12K Badlands Winch (removable)

280K+ Miles of Smiles

On My:
2nd engine
3rd trans
2nd transfer case

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 01:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokesmoke View Post
Quote:
So the other day coming from Texas to Colorado truck lost power and started shaking. Upon pulling over and lifting the hood oil had been blown out of the dip stick and oil was blown out all over the driver side. Didn’t see any visible holes in the block or any thing. But not sure where the oil came from that was all over the front wheel and all down the side of the truck. The engine would start and run again. However it was deff missing. In fear of doing more damage I had it towed and had some one come pick up. Truck has 122k on it. EFI live, lift pump, inner cooler, intake bridge, cold air, 5” turbo back. I’m hoping it’s not as bad as I think it is. But worst case I really don’t want to put a stock motor back in. What are my options? Any opinions are appreciated.
As much as it sucks to say it sounds like the crankcase was over pressurized and blew the dipstick/ oil out. This is usually a result of a piston getting a hole blown in it from a stuck injector or the piston cracking. Do a compression test and try and pinpoint what cylinder/piston may have went south. Either way it's going to be time to tear it down and replace what's bad or drop in another known good motor.

I know it's not what you want to hear but it's the likely scenario.
Yea kinda what I was figuring as when I took the filler cap off there a noticeable surge of pressure. And do to where it let go at and the nature of work I do, I will not have time to do any of this by myself. So it’s sitting at a dealership 250 miles from where I live.

I have done some searches for motor replacement but I really don’t want to put an oem motor back in. With the philosophy if it breaks build it better, faster, stronger.

What options are out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 03:54 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Yea kinda what I was figuring as when I took the filler cap off there a noticeable surge of pressure. And do to where it let go at and the nature of work I do, I will not have time to do any of this by myself. So itís sitting at a dealership 250 miles from where I live.

I have done some searches for motor replacement but I really donít want to put an oem motor back in. With the philosophy if it breaks build it better, faster, stronger.

Fill out yourru signature in the User CP section above under Tools.

Without knowing what you have it is VERY hard to advise you, isn't it?

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 05:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 407driver View Post
Quote:
Yea kinda what I was figuring as when I took the filler cap off there a noticeable surge of pressure. And do to where it let go at and the nature of work I do, I will not have time to do any of this by myself. So it’s sitting at a dealership 250 miles from where I live.

I have done some searches for motor replacement but I really don’t want to put an oem motor back in. With the philosophy if it breaks build it better, faster, stronger.

Fill out yourru signature in the User CP section above under Tools.

Without knowing what you have it is VERY hard to advise you, isn't it?
I thought I was asking pretty general questions, thought it was obvious I had a duramax. But if you really need to know what year and engine to advise. It’s a 2015 uridiam in color, 3500 Denali drw, it has an lml, internals are stock, it has a goose neck, tonneau cover, couple rock chips here and there, the outside tires on the rear are newer than the others, I’ll leave the mods out since I’m sure you read the first post. Oh I’ve put two windshields in it since I bought it. Trying to be through here. Oh and a bird pooped on it once.
LMLLover likes this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 06:17 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Cute.
19 model years produced, 6 different generations of engines, 3 different chassis designs.....yeah, only thing needed is to know it's a Dmax.
Unless it got pooped on twice...that's a deal breaker.

Seriously though, it does help in building our archives, knowing the version and the related mishap.
It does seem like the LML has endurance issues vs previous/earlier versions.
J83 and 407driver like this.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Trying to figure out how to add signature via mobile device. Not cooperating.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 03:50 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Needs a PC browser I think.
You might try not using the phone app, pull up the browser instead.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 01:20 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Garage
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but it sounds like you cracked a piston

2005 GMC 2500HD LLY CC SB 6 inch lift

2012 GMC 2500HD DENALI LML 7.5 inch lift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode