Battery Replacement - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Battery Replacement

I am thinking it is time to be proactive and replace my original batteries before I get stuck in the boonies. I have probably replaced a dozen batteries on autos, but the two batteries in the truck have me a little worried about screwing up the electronics and having bigger issues. I have tried to read as many forum posts as possible and have watched a CarcareKiosk fixit video. None show or mention what I think is a fuse distribution box near the passenger side positive cable on the battery. Does this just lift off or is it attached to the battery or cable? Also, I read somewhere the passenger side battery is tough to get out? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks

2013 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 LML
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 02:42 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruduer View Post
I am thinking it is time to be proactive and replace my original batteries before I get stuck in the boonies. I have probably replaced a dozen batteries on autos, but the two batteries in the truck have me a little worried about screwing up the electronics and having bigger issues. I have tried to read as many forum posts as possible and have watched a CarcareKiosk fixit video. None show or mention what I think is a fuse distribution box near the passenger side positive cable on the battery. Does this just lift off or is it attached to the battery or cable? Also, I read somewhere the passenger side battery is tough to get out? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks
I don't know anything about the batteries in your truck, but in my 2017 it's easy to remove them. That said...

...I personally am not a fan of replacing parts -- even wear items -- preemptively or preventatively, unless the job requires a bunch of labor that I already committed myself to for another part (for instance, replacing a water pump while doing timing belts on an older car because the same labor is involved and the pump isn't expensive, but the labor is very time consuming). In the case of batteries, I would have them load tested separately and, if they're up to spec, leave them alone.

If you're looking for insurance against a battery going bad on you (or being discharged due to some other reason such as parasitic draw from a short circuit, which will put you out of business even with brand new batteries), I'd pick up a jump starter and keep it plugged into your 12V socket so it's always ready to go. This will protect you against a lot more things than just bad batteries and it can be used to help others as well.
bruduer likes this.

2017 Silverado 3500 LTZ (Summit White) | CC SB SRW | Z71 | Duramax L5P | Undercover Ultra Flex bed cover | Draw-Tite front receiver | AIMS 3kw inverter-charger | Titan Travel Trekker 50-gallon auxiliary fuel tank
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 03:16 PM
Duramax Forum Supporter

First unhook both negative cables. The pass. Side needs the brace removed. The fuse thing will come off easy, and while off clean the connections. Negative cables are last thing reconnected.
bruduer likes this.

2012 3500hd srw 4 wd EFILive cp3 conversion dsp5 Jamco exhaust Blue Ridge Diesel lift pump Trifca bed cover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 03:36 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

I just did both a couple weeks ago and had similar question. I did the driver's side first which took about 5 minutes. The passenger side is a PITA and requires removing a brace and some other part to get to one bolt holding the brace.

Here's my link and there's a response from a member with a video: https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/g...ies-again.html

Hope it helps.
bruduer likes this.

Gerry

2015 Chevy Silverado 3500HD SRW CCSB 4X4 LTZ Z71
LML, 6 Spd Allison, 2nd owner and my First diesel ever, B&W Turnoverball Goose Neck,
Pace Edwards BedLocker Tonneau Cover, Sulastic Shackles, Tinted Windows, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar(TheBigWig),
Airlift Ultimate 5000 Airbags with Wireless Air, Fass Titanium 150GPH Lift Pump, AVS Bug/Hood Protector, Autocal, Edge Insight CS2

Soon to get: maybe more tint, Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection, LED Lightbar or Flood Lights, Train or Air Horn
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the very helpful information.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 12:37 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Garage
Did two Duracell 78's yesterday.. not bad, maybe 30 minutes. 800 CCA and $233 for both out the door at Sam's Club. 3 year replacement which is about what we get here in SW AZ...
bruduer likes this.

Yumadavis
2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE
6.6 Duramax 4x4
Acquired 6-20-2019 w/203,157
Stock, set up for 5th whl, PAC brake, 40 gal aux tank
Yuma, AZ
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 01:35 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruduer View Post
Is this on the 2013 i your sig?

Are they original batteries?

2018 GMC 2500 L5P CCSB 4x4 Denali - Mineral Metallic; previous '11 LML, '10 LMM and 04.5 LLY
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Yes, original batteries on 2013. I live in socal desert area and quite a bit of camping, so do not want to get stuck. I will probably go down Autozone and have them do a load test first.
redwngr likes this.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 04:00 PM
Duramax Forum Supporter

When do load test make sure you separate batteries. They must be tested as one, elsewise will get incorrect read.
bruduer likes this.

2012 3500hd srw 4 wd EFILive cp3 conversion dsp5 Jamco exhaust Blue Ridge Diesel lift pump Trifca bed cover
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 04:04 PM

I've had a Duramax since 2001 and always have had one battery go bad first and you can tell when cranking. Still starts ok but it's a warning to replace them soon. Always waited for a slow crank and never been stranded.

bruduer and jdwarren like this.

2012 GMC LML/ALY 4X4 SLE CC 3500HD DRW - STOCK - FuelBox 60 gal Aux tank/Tooll box, Air Lift Bags with SmartAir Leveling System, Exergy Fuel System Saver, Kennedy Single LP - Just fits in the garage.

2007 Mobile Suites 36' TK3 Demco Glide Ride Pin, weighs 17,500# loaded.

2007 GMC LBZ/ALY 4X4 SLT CC 3500 DRW - TransferFlow Tank Tool Box Combo, EFILive DSP5, MBRP, Fred's 1.5 spacers, BD Exhaust Brake.
2004 GMC LLY/ALY 4X4 SLT CC SB, EFIlive, Mike L SCIV, TRADED
2001 Chevy LB7/ALY 4X4 EC SB - SOLD to neighbor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode