Dealer F*****y or Not? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Dealer F*****y or Not?

Took my leveled 2013 into the dealer back in march to have the passenger side output shaft seal replaced since it was leaking.
Took it in for an oil change and they noticed its leaking again and offered to fix under warranty.

Now they are saying the bearing is "walking out and pushing on the seal causing it to leak"
They are saying it is not warranty because it is a new problem and they have never seen the bearing walk out like that before.
They want me to pay for the job plus a new bearing and housing.
My thoughts are- why didn't they see it when they replaced the seal last time and is this legit?
For $900 bucks they can't even tell me that this will 100% fix it for good because they say they have never seen this before.
And of course, its because my cv angles are so bad WHEN ITS LIFTED IN THE AIR!

Any chance the tech messed something up when he removed the housing the first time?
Anybody know exactly what I can say so that I don't get screwed?
Just trying to check this before I go nuts.

PS there were 3 dimples on my CV shaft on the flat part inside the circle where it mates up. No one seems to know what caused that.

TIA.

2012 LML Duramax Denali
SDP Compound Kit: Billet Wheel S475 over stock.
Fleece CP3K Conversion
Fass Titanium with Beans Sump, Edge CTS2, 5" FloPro, Max Flow Manifolds
EFI Live tunes with MotorOps SOTF.
RevMax TC (Billet shaft)
Built Trans (Revmax kit)
4/2 Level with 35s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 06:24 AM

Can't say for sure, but it sounds like the bearing was bad the 1st time and the tech just didn't see it. The tech might have used an air hammer to knock the axles shaft free from the stub shaft. There are tons of guys here with lifted trucks and don't seem to have these bearings go bad...I would find a decent 4x4 shop or a buddy who could give you a 2nd opinion. the seal replacement is pretty simple, unbolt axle shaft, move aside, unbolt stub shaft, pull out stub shaft, remove seal, install new seal, install other parts that you took off and top off the fluid. Its possible to damage the seal if its not lubed up or if there is a burr on the stub shaft. Lots of us have had the passenger axle shaft seals go bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode