Help smoking after down grade - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Help smoking after down grade

I have a 2011 LML 134000 miles it has a PPEI 5stage tuner and is deleted. The truck has been great until I too it to our cabin. Coming home there is a few steep down grades and both time when I got to the bottom the truck started stumbling and puffing white smoke it took about 5 min running it to get it to clear out. I had to step on the throttle and raise the rpms up to 2500 before it cleared. I’m new to diesels so any advice would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 03:11 AM

White smoke is coolant. Check your coolant level and also take the truck for a 15 minute hard run and see if the upper radiator hose is rock hard. If so it is head gasket time.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 04:59 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

When checking the upper rad hose you want to get it up to temp be hard on it then let it sit for at least 5+ hours. If it's hard after that your keeping pressure in the system and 98% of the time headgaskets . If you take the degas cap off it shouldnt have any pressure left in it either. Can try replacing it before headgaskets as its 12 dollars compared to 1k to 4500

My name is Nic
2012 qcsb 6.8L cummins, Big single, Big fuel, 48re swapped,
2011 GMC Sierra 2500 CCSB LML,
BIG s400, fuel, supporting mods
THANKS TO, SDP, WCFAB, LDS, DHD, FREEDOM RACING ENGINES, GDP, EXERGY, S&S, ATS, FLEECE, DEALER FOR UNLEASHED TUNING.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

I will check that tonight. I hope it’s not a head gasket!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Well took it for a hard ride and the hose is pretty darn hard. I’ll see in 5 hrs what it’s like.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Well after a few hrs the hose was soft no pressure so idk what’s going on
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 10:22 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Hows it deleted? Full exhaust? Egr deleted also or just unplugged? Stock down pipe with 9th injector still installed? Pull intake and mouth piece is there oil inside?

My name is Nic
2012 qcsb 6.8L cummins, Big single, Big fuel, 48re swapped,
2011 GMC Sierra 2500 CCSB LML,
BIG s400, fuel, supporting mods
THANKS TO, SDP, WCFAB, LDS, DHD, FREEDOM RACING ENGINES, GDP, EXERGY, S&S, ATS, FLEECE, DEALER FOR UNLEASHED TUNING.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:52 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessapio View Post
Well after a few hrs the hose was soft no pressure so idk what’s going on
GOOD News, not head gaskets!

Is your coolant level dropping or staying the same, check it several mornings in a row when it is cold to see what it is doing. If necessary use a marker to mark the level the first time.

If it is dropping you are losing coolant somewhere and the white smoke tends to indicate it is going into the cylinders. A coolant leak in the EGR Cooler (IF it is still there) or the Turbo both can put coolant into the engine.

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, MBRP Downpipe back 4" exhaust with muffler and FTE 30" resonator/muffler, Sinister EGR Delete, Tuned but wont say who did it, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.

Last edited by 407driver; Yesterday at 05:57 AM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Ok so took it to shop and this is where I’m at. my truck has the egr turned off from the ppie tuner. There is no block off plate. What they think is the egr is opening while I’m costing down a long hill and causing the Engine to run rich. I’m getting a scanner so I can check the mass air flow sensor while I’m doing the same down hill run. They say if the numbers are low that’s probably what’s going on. They we’re not able to open the EGR because of the tune that’s on the truck so they could not replicate the problem . I should have the scanner by end of the week so I’ll update ASAP. Thanks
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:30 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Personally I've never seen or heard of an lml blowing the egr open under load since they've been deleted n tuned in 2013 but theres a first for everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode