This truck is a curse... trans might be toast - Page 3 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 06:15 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstein86 View Post
then why does everyone praise the Kory tunes?
Because it's kewl....

Duramaxtuner and Motorops are way more conservative in their tunes...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisoBob View Post
Because it's kewl....

Duramaxtuner and Motorops are way more conservative in their tunes...
well I wasn't looking for Kewl, I was looking for reliability.. Looks like I have neither now. LOL

2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali
Stage 1 short block, ATI damper, Fass 150, CP3, upgraded trans, Up pipe, Down pipe, EZ lynk w/ 5 tunes SOTF, Magnaflow exhaust, PCV re-route, 4 inch Fabtech lift, 35in tires, HD motor mounts
post #23 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisoBob View Post
Read back through the pages.... there's quite a trail of broken parts leading back to PPEI
I wasn't gonna call them out like this.. but yeah. I kept a personal log of LML cracked pistons and what tunes they ran. All were hotshot guys. If I remember correctly, out of 21 confirmed users with cracked pistons, 17 of them (if my memory serves me right) were running PPEI 50hp tune for their daily towing...

I also work around alot of duramax drivers. I have personally only ever met one person that had their LML crack a piston, and he used PPEI. Also said he had overboost codes with reduced power every time he towed. Built a new engine and switched tuners and no more problems.

My dad was also running PPEI 50hp tune on his LML. Went into reduced power every time he towed due to some trans code (no trans tuning). Dropped down to 0hp tune and no more issues since.

Really not trying to dog PPEI, they no more than I ever will. Just sharing my findings.

2011 LML Silverado 2500HD CCSB Z71, Leveled, Bagged, AFE DFS780 Lift Pump, B&W Companion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 06:45 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
let me rephrase what the rep said, they are a good dealership and I have faith in them he said they need to do a compression test, then they can drop the oil pan to look into the motor. That will make it @$500 for the time they have in it diagnosing it. I said just do the compression test and let me know how that turns out. I said if the compression is bad, more than likely the motor is bad. He said yes, more than likely. I also asked about the valve covers, did they pull them yet. He said no, they will do that with the compression test. I said ok, let me know what going on after the compression test.
oh ok, thats much more reasonable.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
post #25 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eli_harper13 View Post
I wasn't gonna call them out like this.. but yeah. I kept a personal log of LML cracked pistons and what tunes they ran. All were hotshot guys. If I remember correctly, out of 21 confirmed users with cracked pistons, 17 of them (if my memory serves me right) were running PPEI 50hp tune for their daily towing...

I also work around alot of duramax drivers. I have personally only ever met one person that had their LML crack a piston, and he used PPEI. Also said he had overboost codes with reduced power every time he towed. Built a new engine and switched tuners and no more problems.

My dad was also running PPEI 50hp tune on his LML. Went into reduced power every time he towed due to some trans code (no trans tuning). Dropped down to 0hp tune and no more issues since.

Really not trying to dog PPEI, they no more than I ever will. Just sharing my findings.
well I'll probably need a new motor, I'll look for a new tune as well. Who do people recommend?

Stage 1 short block, ATI damper, Fass 150, CP3, upgraded trans, Up pipe, Down pipe, EZ lynk w/ 5 tunes SOTF, Magnaflow exhaust, PCV re-route, 4 inch Fabtech lift, 35in tires, HD motor mounts
post #26 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 06:51 PM

Sounds like another case of a kid with a tuner...

2018 GMC 2500 CCSB - Denali - White - L5p
post #27 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
well I'll probably need a new motor, I'll look for a new tune as well. Who do people recommend?
I have ZERO experience with them, but have read a few cases of people switching to Motorops and liking them. If I were need new tuning, thats who I would get. They are also based in Canada so EPA can't get them.
AlisoBob and mstein86 like this.

2011 LML Silverado 2500HD CCSB Z71, Leveled, Bagged, AFE DFS780 Lift Pump, B&W Companion.
post #28 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboyd5589 View Post
Sounds like another case of a kid with a tuner...
care to elaborate? referring to me? I kept my truck on tune #2. And I never raced or went hot rodding around town either...

post #29 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 07:04 PM

No I was talking to the other kid who's truck magically blew up running a hot tune without supporting mods

post #30 of 76 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 07:10 PM

Just take it to the big GMC dealer in the area and tell them you were only on tune 2 or 3, and im sure they will understand.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode