This truck is a curse... trans might be toast - Page 7 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 08:45 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

So the tune is what ruined the engine ?

the tune made the timing slightly off, then all hell broke loose ?

I'm learning as well ..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 12:19 PM

No the timing issue happened when the crankshaft broke into 2 pieces
eli_harper13 and mstein86 like this.

2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 2wd Crew Cab. Stock. 200 mile regen club
post #63 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985TS View Post
So the tune is what ruined the engine ?

the tune made the timing slightly off, then all hell broke loose ?

I'm learning as well ..
I'm not saying the tune was the only cause that made the engine go bye bye but I'm sure it attributed to it depends on what tune and how it was driven several factors can play into this in my opinion IM not an expert and you know what they say about opinions everybody has one lol I do feel sorry for the guy I hate to see this happen to anyone
eli_harper13 likes this.

2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 2wd Crew Cab. Stock. 200 mile regen club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashguy207 View Post
I'm not saying the tune was the only cause that made the engine go bye bye but I'm sure it attributed to it depends on what tune and how it was driven several factors can play into this in my opinion IM not an expert and you know what they say about opinions everybody has one lol I do feel sorry for the guy I hate to see this happen to anyone
This is why I have always ran a stock power level tune. Can't be too careful lol

*Crank breaks tomorrow on stock level tune...

2011 LML Silverado 2500HD CCSB Z71, Leveled, Bagged, AFE DFS780 Lift Pump, B&W Companion.
post #65 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 02:40 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

My worthless 2 cents worth.
I've read the whole post I think the crank just broke .Period. I don't think it was the tunes you would have to be beating the crap out of it for slightly hot tunes to ruin it like that . Also I think your injector shop aint worth 2 squirts of piss . Hence the reason I only use or recommend Lincoln Diesel.
mstein86 likes this.

2002 2500HD 4x4 ccsb
EFI live Idaho Rob
LBZ CP3 and regulator
4'' lift
Ultra Predators
Toyo RT's
WHEN GUNS ARE OUTLAWED I'LL BE THE OUTLAW !!
post #66 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 04:32 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

I guess I didn't look close enough at that last pi to see the crank in two pieces.

Yeah that would cause a "slight" timing issue and cause those bent pushrods.........as well as other issues as well.

How could that dealership tell you ALL your cylinders had low compression, half of them were not turning?
J83 and LMLLover like this.

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
post #67 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 04:35 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Garage
what journal broke on the crank? I've read with the firing order on the duramax the front of the crankshaft takes a beating.

2012 Silverado 2500 HD LT tuned for reliability, lift pump, 4" exhaust,Stock tires no lift.
1998 VW Beetle TDI
1980 Yamaha MX100 restoration
1971 VW Super Beetle Vert. sold
1971 VW Westy sold
post #68 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 05:38 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstein86 View Post
So I finished taking the engine a part this weekend and this is the aftermath...

well then that would do it...... Im a little surprised it took the dealer so long to come back with a diagnosis, being the crank is in 2 pieces and rotating the engine to do a compression test might be interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashguy207 View Post

theres stock trucks that have broken cranks, and 2000 HP sled pull trucks that havent. Some times you just get the short straw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 407driver View Post
I guess I didn't look close enough at that last pi to see the crank in two pieces.

Yeah that would cause a "slight" timing issue and cause those bent pushrods.........as well as other issues as well.

How could that dealership tell you ALL your cylinders had low compression, half of them were not turning?

Makes you wonder what exactly the OP paid for vs what he actually got....

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
post #69 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 06:22 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

If the twisting isn't done at the exact right temperature, the metal "tears" at the molecular level, instead of twisting.

This makes a flaw in the structure that may or may not raise it's ugly head during the service life of the part.
mstein86 likes this.
post #70 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 05:57 AM

I think you can get a billet crank for these correct? However, I don't think you need one if your under like 600hp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode