This truck is a curse... trans might be toast - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy This truck is a curse... trans might be toast

So I was driving my truck today and it started making a load noise, kind of like an exhaust manifold leak. Thought maybe the gasket went bad, no biggie right? Gave it a little gas and the truck just stopped running on the highway. It turns over but sounds funky, wont start though. No smoke, had good oil pressure, no coolant leak or coolant loss. I have a CP3, new injectors when the CP3 was installed, has a lift pump, and a kory tune. I was only on tune #2, never went higher than that because the truck would shudder like the trans was slipping. So the truck is at the dealer. I'm waiting for the call tomorrow to tell me the motor is shot. I just stuck $8k in it for the injection pump failure. I'm wondering if the trans took a dump??? Anyone have anything similar happen to them?

2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali
Fass 150, CP3, Up pipe, Down pipe, EZ lynk w/ 5 tunes SOTF, Magnaflow exhaust, DPF delete, EGR delete
PCV re-route, 4 inch Fabtech lift, 35in tires

Last edited by mstein86; 09-11-2019 at 07:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 08:25 AM

Doesn't sound like a transmission- sounds like fuel system problems. How long since the CP4 failed? Got to wonder if it was properly flushed..

2011 Chevrolet LML
PPEI 60HP tow tune
4" Flo pro w/ muffler
Airdog 4g lift pump
Exergy MPROP
post #3 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstechfl View Post
Doesn't sound like a transmission- sounds like fuel system problems. How long since the CP4 failed? Got to wonder if it was properly flushed..
when the CP4 failed I dropped the tank, flushed it, flushed all fuel lines and put new injectors and new CP3 pump. Every line was either flushed or replaced. I doubt it's a fuel issue, I'm waiting to hear from the dealer.

Fass 150, CP3, Up pipe, Down pipe, EZ lynk w/ 5 tunes SOTF, Magnaflow exhaust, DPF delete, EGR delete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 10:15 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Garage
You said it was tuned, Iím sure you have an updated tune for your CP3?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 GMC 3500 DRW/CCLB

--2015 GMC 3500 SRW/CCLB--
post #5 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.M. View Post
You said it was tuned, Iím sure you have an updated tune for your CP3?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yes its tuned for the CP3, truck has ran great until the last day or so.

post #6 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

well worst case scenario is the motor is shot. Shop is still looking at it but they said they will know more in a few hours.

post #7 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 03:48 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

How long does it take to cut the oil filter open, or remove the FPR and look for debris?

Dealers milk it, every chance they get.
post #8 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 04:31 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstein86 View Post
well worst case scenario is the motor is shot. Shop is still looking at it but they said they will know more in a few hours.
did they tell you what failed? I had a guy tell someone i know there engine was shot, just needed a spark plug. If they cant give you a detailed reasoning for there conclusion id get a second opinion before dropping a new engine in it.

Reason i ask is "engines shot, well know more later" well either the engine is shot, and theres no reason to look further, or the engine is repairable and theres a reason to continue looking. If the diagnosis though is the motor is toast, why are they burning more of your money "looking into it"?

it sounds like either there not sure its actually shot, or there milking you. Either way, im skeptical of the current diagnosis.
mstein86 likes this.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML

Last edited by J83; 09-11-2019 at 04:34 PM.
post #9 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

I'm wondering if a valve failed, like an intake valve and that's why is sounded like a monster truck AKA exhaust leak. I talked to the service rep because I haven't heard anything all day so I called. He said they think its a bad piston. I'm wondering if a valve hung open and the piston hit it...I'll know more shortly... I'll keep you guys posted!!!

post #10 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

service rep called from the dealer and he said they are still looking at it but they think #1 piston is shot. They want to dig into the motor, I said just do a compression test and let me know how that turns out. I'll probably be looking for a motor soon...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in