Moderate LML engine rebuild... - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 05:16 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstein86 View Post
I’m people are asking for an HP goal. I’d say 600hp, not that I would be running that tune all the time though. I know I can run 600hp with most of the stuff already in the motor.
600 is at the top end of what you can get on stock air and fuel if im not mistaken, but i still think the only thing you need from the list would be head studs. Your still not making enough power for the girdle or billet caps, but if they would make you sleep better at night, dont let me stop you from getting them. To be totally honest i would probably do the girdle even if i didnt need it. I would swap out the LML pistons though, be it for LB7 pistons or the Mahles others have recommended. The pistons seem to be the weak link in the LML engine followed by the rods.
mstein86 likes this.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML

Last edited by J83; 09-18-2019 at 05:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Started tearing into it tonight, I don't have a factory repair manual so I'm playing it by ear. Does anyone have the HELM factory repair manual? I want to know if it's worth the money.
Attached Images

2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali
Fass 150, CP3, Up pipe, Down pipe, EZ lynk w/ 5 tunes SOTF, Magnaflow exhaust, DPF delete, EGR delete
PCV re-route, 4 inch Fabtech lift, 35in tires
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 09:20 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

I agree with matt 100%. For what you're doing I would skip 90% of your list. Victor Reinz grade cs or get lml golds, arp 425s and some mahle race cast or even delipped lb7 lly pistons would be fine. Theres been plenty of lmls bend rods also but most were running compounds where the torque is instant in the lower rpm range and that's what bends rods. Good tuning plays a huge roll also. It doesn't matter what you do with the crank. Guys buy 5k dollar ones and they still snap. Stock cam will be fine also. The alt fire ones havent proved to be the fix all like people hoped.You can still get delete tunes from very good and highly reputable tuners its who you know.
shmoky and CDmax16 like this.

2012 QCSB/Built 6.8L Cummins/48RE/Gated shifter

Last edited by SilverGorillaLML; 09-18-2019 at 09:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

ok so time is a factor, I think I'm just going to go this route:

https://dmaxstore.com/products/?rout...roduct_id=3697

I'll take the heads to a local shop and get them done.

is piston thermal coating necessary?

Fass 150, CP3, Up pipe, Down pipe, EZ lynk w/ 5 tunes SOTF, Magnaflow exhaust, DPF delete, EGR delete
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 08:52 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

It burns off. Check around for short blocks.Call dan at ppe he had very reasonably priced short blocks a little awhile ago. I believe his had carrillos in it and mahle race cast.

2012 QCSB/Built 6.8L Cummins/48RE/Gated shifter
post #16 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 10:41 AM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Started tearing into it tonight, I don't have a factory repair manual so I'm playing it by ear. Does anyone have the HELM factory repair manual? I want to know if it's worth the money.
i would get a single vehicle DIY subscription to alldata, its like 50 bucks or something for a couple years of access.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
post #17 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by J83 View Post
i would get a single vehicle DIY subscription to alldata, its like 50 bucks or something for a couple years of access.
Thanks, I actually did this last night. It was like $30 for a year.
Sierraluva likes this.

post #18 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Quick update, cut open the oil filter and this was at the bottom, filter paper element also has lots of metal... Motor is coming out Tuesday.
Attached Images

post #19 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 06:21 PM

Location: we live in a high mountain valley in the hi country of northern arizona
Quote:
So my engine is toast,,.....?
Could you help us out with a little more info? Specifically, can you tell us what kind of engine failure you had, and under what conditions ? From your experience, do you have suggestions as to what we fellow LML operators can do to keep this from happening to us ?

2013 3500 long bed crew cab. Purchased at approx. 80,000; now have 91,000, convert to CP3. DPF "triggerd" a limp mode, so was cut out of the vehicle & cleaned by a DPF cleaning co., on re-installation, everything back to normal. Would never ever think of something as nasty and as anti bunny wabbet as a full-delete...after all..dosnt everyone like the fun & excitement of being stuck by the side of a Interstate in the ran while towing when one's truck's computer decides to go into "limp mode"...?.
post #20 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Not sure what engine failure I had until I take it a part. I will update after I get it out and taken a part. I was on a tow tune so the transmission would learn, then the truck started knocking. Not sure if it was a tune problem or a mechanical problem...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode