Moderate LML engine rebuild... - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

Moderate LML engine rebuild...

So my engine is toast, I'm looking at getting the short block done at a machine shop. What are the "must haves" for this engine. Truck will be tuned, I'm not trying to make 1000hp, just something reliable.

Is a girdle necessary?
Keyed cams and crank? I read this is a must!!! True?
Head studs? I heard the LML doesn't have head gasket issues like earlier models.
All internals will be stock, I plan on replacing the crank, cam, pistons, rod, and bearings, unless you guys chime in and recommend other wise...
ARP rod bolts?
after market main caps?

2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali
Stage 1 short block, ATI damper, Fass 150, CP3, upgraded trans, Up pipe, Down pipe, EZ lynk w/ 5 tunes SOTF, Magnaflow exhaust, PCV re-route, 4 inch Fabtech lift, 35in tires, HD motor mounts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 07:25 AM

I donít have first hand experience, but if I was rebuilding one I would look into getting an alternate firing order cam. That is if you can still find a tune for it.
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkey52 View Post
I donít have first hand experience, but if I was rebuilding one I would look into getting an alternate firing order cam. That is if you can still find a tune for it.
thought that's only necessary in high horse power applications?

Stage 1 short block, ATI damper, Fass 150, CP3, upgraded trans, Up pipe, Down pipe, EZ lynk w/ 5 tunes SOTF, Magnaflow exhaust, PCV re-route, 4 inch Fabtech lift, 35in tires, HD motor mounts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 08:31 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Moderate LML engine rebuild...

None of that stuff is necessary on a reliable daily driver, unless you plan on going high hp/high rpm. Keyed cam and crank, alt fire cam, billet main caps, girdle, connecting rods and arps for the rods arenít necessary.

Head gaskets are an issue, definitely do studs.

No point in doing new cam and crank unless oil starvation was an issue and theyíre scarred.

If I was in your place, I would do throw a set of Mahle Motorsports pistons in it, along with new bearings, head gaskets and head studs. Iím sure the shop would love to sell you the rest of that stuff, but itís overkill. If thatís your thing, go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 GMC 3500 DRW/CCLB

--2015 GMC 3500 SRW/CCLB--
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.M. View Post
None of that stuff is necessary on a reliable daily driver, unless you plan on going high hp/high rpm. Keyed cam and crank, alt fire cam, billet main caps, girdle, connecting rods and arps for the rods arenít necessary.

Head gaskets are an issue, definitely do studs.

No point in doing new cam and crank unless oil starvation was an issue and theyíre scarred.

If I was in your place, I would do throw a set of Mahle Motorsports pistons in it, along with new bearings, head gaskets and head studs. Iím sure the shop would love to sell you the rest of that stuff, but itís overkill. If thatís your thing, go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for your input M.A.M. I'm just trying to get people's opinions. I figured since I'm rebuilding the motor, I should do it right!!!

post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 10:57 AM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstein86 View Post
So my engine is toast, I'm looking at getting the short block done at a machine shop. What are the "must haves" for this engine. Truck will be tuned, I'm not trying to make 1000hp, just something reliable.

Is a girdle necessary?
Keyed cams and crank? I read this is a must!!! True?
Head studs? I heard the LML doesn't have head gasket issues like earlier models.
All internals will be stock, I plan on replacing the crank, cam, pistons, rod, and bearings, unless you guys chime in and recommend other wise...
ARP rod bolts?
after market main caps?

an actual power goal would help but im assuming that your looking for something in the 500 range thats reliable day to day. If that is the case, the girdle is not needed unless your just feeling like doing it. keyed cam and crank would be good, but again depends on your power goals. I would say that if your already having the block machined, may as well have them key the cam and crank, i doubt it will be that much more. LML's do still suffer head gasket failures, though not like the LB7 did, Personally i would do the head studs for peace of mind. I would use LB7 pistons and rods if you can, they are stronger than the LML rods and pistons. I dont think the rod bolt of main caps would make a difference for you one way or the other unless your trying to make bigger power than i am assuming. If the cam and crank are not damaged, i see no reason to replace them. IF you are going to replace them, i have heard the alternate firing order cam reduces the likelihood of a crank shaft failure.

If you could focus on a HP number to shoot for that would help though, If you wanted to make 800HP, some of the things above become needed and not optional.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkey52 View Post
Can't you just move some pins around in the wiring so tuning doesnt have to be changed?

2016 LML Denali 2500
Mcgaughy's 2" drop shackle
Bilstein 5100
22x10 American Force Flux black w machined or Toyos on OEM wheels. Depends on the day of the week
Wehrli S300 kit w/ 66mm SXE
Wehrli CP3 conversion 10mm stroker
Profab Manifold & Up-pipes
Stock Trans For Now
Stock Sticks For Now
Air Dog 165 4G
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 03:38 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by denarli6.6 View Post
Can't you just move some pins around in the wiring so tuning doesnt have to be changed?
thats my understanding of how that cam works, you just rewire the injectors to fire in the correct order for the new cam.
AlisoBob likes this.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Iím people are asking for an HP goal. Iíd say 600hp, not that I would be running that tune all the time though. I know I can run 600hp with most of the stuff already in the motor.

post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 05:12 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

I agree with Matt, at that power level and assuming nothing is broken internally, I would rebuild the bottom end all stock with the exception of the pistons. The lml pistons are the weak link in the bottom end and are prone to cracking. The Mahles are much stronger, along with a few others.

On the top end , I would have the heads rebuilt and install them with studs and Mahle gaskets. Everything else stock, with the upgrades you have already done, will make for a dependable engine.

I would save the money from the other upgrades discussed and spend it on a turbo.
burred and mstein86 like this.

2016 2500hd Custom Sport, Z71, LTZ
Leveled with Moto 961's and 295/70\18 Ridge Grapplers,Amp steps, Weathertech mats, Extang Encore,S&B dry,
Wehrli intake bridge and AFE IC piping,Edge Insight cts2, AirDog II 165,SDP resonator delete, Mishimoto pcv catch can, MBRP down pipe,Recon led tail lights and third brake light, Morimoto mini D2S 5.0 projectors w/hidís, Morimoto 2stroke 2.0 ledís highs and fogs.
Kryptonite ucaís & tie rod sleeves, CCM diff drop,Fox 2.0 reservoirs, steering stabilizer, CalTracs,
Cognito PISK and heavy duty sway bar links, AirLift bags,
Nitro 4.30ís w/Nitro TracRite posi...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode