Time to upgrade the LML (opinions wanted) - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 2011 to 2016 LML Duramax Trucks No Advertising

 7Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 15
Time to upgrade the LML (opinions wanted)

I am at 93k on my 2015 LML. I had planned to do a full delete after my warranty is gone but that seems to be a home garage and canada tuner arrangement now. So I think I am going to go the emissions compliant route. My truck is currently bone stock aside from some suspension/wheel changes.

My plan was to safeguard my fuel system with an exergy system saver and a lift pump (can’t decide which one). Then throw some duramax tuner tunes at it. And I am at least doing this in the mean time.

But being that my buddy just blew his 16 gmc’s cp4 I am thinking of going a little deeper. He was at 75k and baby drives that truck by the way...

Anyways, I’m considering going with an S&S CP3 conversion or an exergy 10mm cp4.

The CP3 kind of speaks for itself and this kit is 50 state carb compliant and doesn’t require tuning, which I think is nice for selling the truck in the future.

However the guy from duramaxtuner tells me the cp3 isn’t without its failures and I have to hack up the fuel system to do the conversion. He assures me the exergy cp4 has upgraded components beyond the system saver metering valve and is a direct drop in. I believe the exergy pump requires tuning to run though which is a negative for when sell the truck as not everyone wants it.

I have also seen guys having fuel line leaks after their cp3 conversions where they did the line install. I certainly don’t want that.

I’m having some trouble making a decision. What is everyone’s opinion?
jpg.crna is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 03:22 PM
Senior Member
 
denarli6.6's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 417
From my understanding its not the components that make the CP4 so bad its the design of the pump. The CP3 has been proven to be a more reliable pump than the CP4. I also am pretty sure that you can get a CP3 conversion kit with sportsman pump for cheaper than the CP4 10mm pump. If it were me I would put a CP3 in and go on with life.

2016 LML Denali 2500
Reverse level with Mcgaughy's 2" drop shackle
Bilstein 5100 all-around
22x10 American Force Flux black w machined
Wehrli S300 kit w/ 66mm SXE
Wehrli CP3 conversion 10mm stroker
Profab Manifold & Up-pipes
Stock Trans For Now
Stock Sticks For Now
Air Dog 165 4G
Off-road Only
denarli6.6 is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 05:30 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic
 
SilverGorillaLML's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: The mountains of va/wva listen for the banjos
Posts: 9,477
Comparing cp3 failings to cp4s, saying youre "hacking" up the fuel system, and that the new cp4s are internally better?
Yup sounds like duramax tuner alright lol. Swap the cp3. If you have leaks afterwards you did it wrong.

Race/Pulling truck:2012 CumminGs/Built 6.8L/Big air/Big fuel/48RE Swap/PCS 2000/B&M Gated shifter
Kid hauler: 08 Lincoln navigator
Work/dd: 02 4.3 RCLB Silverado
SilverGorillaLML is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 15
These were my thoughts as well. I felt like that was a loaded push. A cp3 may fail but I certainly haven't heard of any failing catastrophically in the way a cp4 does. Is there currently a way to do a sportsman cp3 with the emissions on? The S&S is the only kit I've found that works with the emissions, especially without a tune. Maybe there is another route I just don't know about? It would be nice to do an upgraded pump vs a stock one.

Should I be wary of DT's tunes? I figured I would go with them because they've been on the emissions side of tuning for a long time. I just haven't seen much as far as reviews are concerned when it comes to emissions on tuning from ppei. I know they are looking to up their game now, but before I think it's safe to say they were heavily invested on the other side of the fence.
jpg.crna is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 09:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: we live in a high mountain valley in the hi country of northern arizona
Posts: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpg.crna View Post
A cp3 may fail but I certainly haven't heard of any failing catastrophically …

fail catastrophically ? Well..if a CP 3 has EVER failed I am not aware of it

in the way a cp4 does.yes- as others have noted - that's the problem; a sudden, unanticipated failure. I couldn't accept that risk. Very happy with my "50 state S & S conversion

Is there currently a way to do a sportsman cp3 with the emissions on? yes - read above - again, no adjusting, tuning, no anything. I had it done, and it worked & continues to do so without issue ( my DPF failure that caused me to honor all that "pollution" stuff was totally unrelated to the CP3 installation)The S&S is the only kit I've found that works with the emissions, especially without a tune.exactly ……....
……………………………………………………………………………………
side note - life is so boring now that my DPF, CAT, EGR and associated plumbing and hardware are now all wrapped up and in storage...premliminary mileage check suggests at least 2-3 mpg improvement. Will know more this week-end when I have a heavy-tow trip planned.

2013 3500 long bed crew cab. Purchased at approx. 80,000; now have 91,000, convert to CP3. DPF "triggerd" a limp mode, so was cut out of the vehicle & cleaned by a DPF cleaning co., on re-installation, everything back to normal. Would never ever think of something as nasty and as anti bunny wabbet as a full-delete...after all..dosnt everyone like the fun & excitement of being stuck by the side of a Interstate in the ran while towing when one's truck's computer decides to go into "limp mode"...?.
6686L is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 09:40 PM
Senior Member
 
denarli6.6's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 417
If life's still boring with your DPF, CAT, & EGR removed I'd suggest the maxxx effort file. Guaranteed to put some lead in that pencil.
Dales Super Store likes this.

2016 LML Denali 2500
Reverse level with Mcgaughy's 2" drop shackle
Bilstein 5100 all-around
22x10 American Force Flux black w machined
Wehrli S300 kit w/ 66mm SXE
Wehrli CP3 conversion 10mm stroker
Profab Manifold & Up-pipes
Stock Trans For Now
Stock Sticks For Now
Air Dog 165 4G
Off-road Only
denarli6.6 is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 10:22 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: we live in a high mountain valley in the hi country of northern arizona
Posts: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by denarli6.6 View Post
If life's still boring with your DPF, CAT, & EGR removed I'd suggest the maxxx effort file. Guaranteed to put some lead in that pencil.
. . . . . . . . .
Not sure exactly what you are suggesting.

Let me explain briefly to those who havnt followed my sarcasam, thanks to the suggestions by fellow Duramax owners in various threads in here, I have converted my potentially dangerous, unreliable truck into something that can do exactly what I bought it for.

I have no idea what a "MAXXX EFFORT" file is. Perhaps denar is suggesting I try and squeeze even more power out of my Duramax. If that is what he is suggesting, I respectfully disagree.

Engineers design products with a "fudge factor", meaning, a comfortable margin between the point where anticipated abuse and outright failure occurs.

My truck was powerful enough for our uses even when "bone stock". Now that I have had certain "adjustments", it is even more powerful. I am not about to "push my luck".
Sierraluva likes this.

2013 3500 long bed crew cab. Purchased at approx. 80,000; now have 91,000, convert to CP3. DPF "triggerd" a limp mode, so was cut out of the vehicle & cleaned by a DPF cleaning co., on re-installation, everything back to normal. Would never ever think of something as nasty and as anti bunny wabbet as a full-delete...after all..dosnt everyone like the fun & excitement of being stuck by the side of a Interstate in the ran while towing when one's truck's computer decides to go into "limp mode"...?.
6686L is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 10:48 AM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast
 
J83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Alaska
Posts: 4,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpg.crna View Post
I am at 93k on my 2015 LML. I had planned to do a full delete after my warranty is gone but that seems to be a home garage and canada tuner arrangement now. So I think I am going to go the emissions compliant route. My truck is currently bone stock aside from some suspension/wheel changes.

My plan was to safeguard my fuel system with an exergy system saver and a lift pump (can’t decide which one). Then throw some duramax tuner tunes at it. And I am at least doing this in the mean time.

But being that my buddy just blew his 16 gmc’s cp4 I am thinking of going a little deeper. He was at 75k and baby drives that truck by the way...

Anyways, I’m considering going with an S&S CP3 conversion or an exergy 10mm cp4.

The CP3 kind of speaks for itself and this kit is 50 state carb compliant and doesn’t require tuning, which I think is nice for selling the truck in the future.

However the guy from duramaxtuner tells me the cp3 isn’t without its failures and I have to hack up the fuel system to do the conversion. He assures me the exergy cp4 has upgraded components beyond the system saver metering valve and is a direct drop in. I believe the exergy pump requires tuning to run though which is a negative for when sell the truck as not everyone wants it.

I have also seen guys having fuel line leaks after their cp3 conversions where they did the line install. I certainly don’t want that.

I’m having some trouble making a decision. What is everyone’s opinion?

let me start with this. The CP4 issue is blown out of proportion. The total number of failures is very low, they are just concentrated at places like forums so the problem appears larger. Thats not to say its not a problem, it is, but its not the ticking time bomb everyone thinks it is based on this and other forums.

Now that we have that out of the way for context, the CP3 is a significantly superior pump in terms of longevity as well as failure mitigation. The internal design of the CP4 is the issue, so upgrading part quality will help, but ultimately, it doesn't matter how high quality the parts are if the design is deficient. This topics been beat to death on this forum so if you want to know more there are several very lengthy threads to explain the differences in the pumps. Basically the CP3, if it were to fail, wont send metal through the high pressure system, or at least is far less likely to. The CP4 is guaranteed to send metal through the fuel system when it fails.

For this reason i would run the CP3 if you were replacing the pump. Also, ive seen the kits online and its far from "hacking up the fuel system". As for the fuel system saver, there is no evidence one way or the other at this time to show if it makes a difference. Personally, im not convinced they will make a significant difference in the failure.
Dales Super Store likes this.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
J83 is online now  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 11:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: we live in a high mountain valley in the hi country of northern arizona
Posts: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by J83 View Post
let me start with this. The CP4 issue is blown out of proportion. The total number of failures is very low, they are just concentrated at places like forums so the problem appears larger. Thats not to say its not a problem, it is, but its not the ticking time bomb everyone thinks it is based on this and other forums.
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………
The service techs. at my local GMC dealer don't agree.

2013 3500 long bed crew cab. Purchased at approx. 80,000; now have 91,000, convert to CP3. DPF "triggerd" a limp mode, so was cut out of the vehicle & cleaned by a DPF cleaning co., on re-installation, everything back to normal. Would never ever think of something as nasty and as anti bunny wabbet as a full-delete...after all..dosnt everyone like the fun & excitement of being stuck by the side of a Interstate in the ran while towing when one's truck's computer decides to go into "limp mode"...?.
6686L is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 11:24 AM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast
 
J83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Alaska
Posts: 4,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6686L View Post
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………
The service techs. at my local GMC dealer don't agree.

well yes.... they want to sell you new parts so that would make sense.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
J83 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome