4" or 5" exhaust - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 2011 to 2016 LML Duramax Trucks No Advertising

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

4" or 5" exhaust

I am looking for a quiet exhaust. Videos I have watched are making me think the 5" with muffler is the most quiet option. (this is will be a delete btw) Anyone have experience with Aero mufflers? Would this give me a much more quiet exhaust?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 12:36 AM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Generally speaking the larger the diameter the louder it is because people tend to use straight through mufflers with aftermarket pipes. If you want quiet you want to stick with stock.

If you just have to throw money at your exhaust then look for a muffler that has baffles inside, not straight through.
Dales Super Store likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 02:37 PM

4 is quieter than 5. I'd buy a straight pipe kit and install a 30" resonator instead of a kit with a muffler. FTE knocks out the drone and muffles.

2016 LML Denali 2500
Reverse level with Mcgaughy's 2" drop shackle
Bilstein 5100 all-around
22x10 American Force Flux black w machined
Wehrli S300 kit w/ 66mm SXE
Wehrli CP3 conversion 10mm stroker
Profab Manifold & Up-pipes
Stock Trans For Now
Stock Sticks For Now
Air Dog 165 4G
Off-road Only
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 11:38 AM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizterwizard View Post
Generally speaking the larger the diameter the louder it is because people tend to use straight through mufflers with aftermarket pipes. If you want quiet you want to stick with stock.

If you just have to throw money at your exhaust then look for a muffler that has baffles inside, not straight through.
As one of those people who owns a straight through muffler i can can confirm for you its not quiet.
Dales Super Store likes this.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 01:06 PM

Location: we live in a high mountain valley in the hi country of northern arizona
I deny everything - just "what I have heard"...….just "hypothetically speaking" if I did a "full delete", so that my DPF and CAT are now safely stored...……..I would chose 4" for the reasons stated in the above posts.

The exhaust kit that came with my "hypothetical" delete kit did have a muffler - standard "straight thru". Was fairly quiet, but not quiet enough. Had a ( again, hypothetical speaking.....!) 2nd "straight thru" muffler installed - much quieter - now almost as quiet as "stock". Yes, you could get it as quiet as stock, but then you'd have some back-pressure. I do not know if a modern big 4" truck muffler with baffles would add significantly to "back pressure" - guess whether it is significant would depend on what you use your truck for.
mizterwizard likes this.

2013 3500 long bed crew cab. Purchased at approx. 80,000; now have 91,000, convert to CP3. DPF "triggerd" a limp mode, so was cut out of the vehicle & cleaned by a DPF cleaning co., on re-installation, everything back to normal. Would never ever think of something as nasty and as anti bunny wabbet as a full-delete...after all..dosnt everyone like the fun & excitement of being stuck by the side of a Interstate in the ran while towing when one's truck's computer decides to go into "limp mode"...?.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 08:03 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Ultimately you are unlikely to gain enough power from a large exhaust to make any difference other than maybe nosing out your buddy in his totally stock truck. As far as economy goes, it would never pay for itself in a lifetime of use.

Large exhausts work well on highly modified trucks making north of double the stock power and they give you something to bench race about but otherwise they have little value.

Here's some other ideas of thing you could do to your exhaust to make your truck stand out:

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 11:02 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quiet exhaust with a 4” or 5” there’s no such animal.
Leave the stock cat go straight back open exhaust from the cat back add a 30” FTE resonator/muffler.
Less stink with the cat and less drone with the FTE, aftermarket cats like the Magnaflow does nothing to tone down the stinky exhaust.
4” or 5” back, at this point it won’t matter, 5” might have a little deeper tone.
Mine did with 5” filterless back exhaust with 6” vented tip, compared to 4” back with stock bugle looking tip.
mizterwizard likes this.

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B."BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe
DHD PCV Re-Route
AirDog 4G100

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 05:49 AM

For the price, this 30" muffler is great quality and really quiets down a 4" straight pipe. It is a flow through design, but I can confirm that it took away all drone while cruising. I was very surprised out how much this quieted the truck down. I have never heard this muffler while towing though. For the price of $50, you can't beat it. I am pretty sure it is the exact same muffler MBRP sells for $150.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2011 LML Silverado 2500HD CCSB Z71, Leveled, Bagged, AFE DFS780 Lift Pump, B&W Companion.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 01:12 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eli_harper13 View Post
For the price, this 30" muffler is great quality and really quiets down a 4" straight pipe. It is a flow through design, but I can confirm that it took away all drone while cruising. I was very surprised out how much this quieted the truck down. I have never heard this muffler while towing though. For the price of $50, you can't beat it. I am pretty sure it is the exact same muffler MBRP sells for $150.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That sure looks like what came with my MBRP kit.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J83 View Post
That sure looks like what came with my MBRP kit.
Seriously? lol. I was gonna order the MBRP muffler that was $150 but saw one review for it that stated they received an unmarked muffler that looked like the $50 one. So I took a gamble on it and I am glad I did. Truck is almost as quite as stock inside the cab. Not much louder than stock outside. $50 is much better than $150

2011 LML Silverado 2500HD CCSB Z71, Leveled, Bagged, AFE DFS780 Lift Pump, B&W Companion.

Last edited by eli_harper13; 10-31-2019 at 02:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode