blew up my LML - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 2011 to 2016 LML Duramax Trucks No Advertising

24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 03:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
blew up my LML

I've owned this truck since new in 2012
was a great truck and I could not ask for a better truck. I've always maintained the F out of the truck but I also beat it up and was not easy on her. 130k trouble free miles till the other day

so long story short

I was WOT for a long time and burnt a hole in #2 piston. Compression checked and its dead
truck still starts and drives under its own power but its hard.

I just picked up my new truck from the dealership yesterday, a 2020 dmax

now I'm looking for some advice or some input on what to do with my LML now. the truck has been paid off since 2016. the truck was tuned since 2k miles on it.

all labor will be done by me so no charges will be applied

option 1

so a new short block from industrial injection is $10K
I will rebuild my heads with new valve, springs, retainers, seats and guides. deck the heads, all new gaskets,
arp head studs all new hoses, lines for the entire motor, new over sized injectors, new aftermarket manifolds. and a woldFAB bored turbo and new billet wheel. just for a start 15k-20k in parts just right here!

still would need to build my tranz $6-9K depends on what kit I want to go with.

option 2

find a crashed truck from copart and take the motor out from the if I get one for a good deal.

or buy an eBay motor and take a shot on that and who knows what I'm getting or how long it will last.

option 3

sell it as is

parts list on my truck
ADD front and rear bumpers
BDS 4" coilovers kit
method rims 35" tires
mbrp 5"
motor ops dps5
egr delete
Yukon lsd
krypotnight frontend
ECT ECT

I want to hear what some of you would do out of these 3 choices, please don't say something stupid like
oh well I just wouldn't have blown it up in the first place lol
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 06:00 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickasurus_rex View Post
I've owned this truck since new in 2012
was a great truck and I could not ask for a better truck. I've always maintained the F out of the truck but I also beat it up and was not easy on her. 130k trouble free miles till the other day

so long story short

I was WOT for a long time and burnt a hole in #2 piston. Compression checked and its dead
truck still starts and drives under its own power but its hard.

I just picked up my new truck from the dealership yesterday, a 2020 dmax

now I'm looking for some advice or some input on what to do with my LML now. the truck has been paid off since 2016. the truck was tuned since 2k miles on it.

all labor will be done by me so no charges will be applied

option 1

so a new short block from industrial injection is $10K
I will rebuild my heads with new valve, springs, retainers, seats and guides. deck the heads, all new gaskets,
arp head studs all new hoses, lines for the entire motor, new over sized injectors, new aftermarket manifolds. and a woldFAB bored turbo and new billet wheel. just for a start 15k-20k in parts just right here!

still would need to build my tranz $6-9K depends on what kit I want to go with.

option 2

find a crashed truck from copart and take the motor out from the if I get one for a good deal.

or buy an eBay motor and take a shot on that and who knows what I'm getting or how long it will last.

option 3

sell it as is

parts list on my truck
ADD front and rear bumpers
BDS 4" coilovers kit
method rims 35" tires
mbrp 5"
motor ops dps5
egr delete
Yukon lsd
krypotnight frontend
ECT ECT

I want to hear what some of you would do out of these 3 choices, please don't say something stupid like
oh well I just wouldn't have blown it up in the first place lol
To my mind it would depend on what you intend to do with the truck, sell it or keep it.

If selling, what would net you more money, option 2 or option 3, taking into consideration the labor involved in each one.

If you intend on keeping it, then option 1 or 2 would depend on what you intended to do with it.

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 06:16 AM

I agree with 407. It really depends on what you want to do with it afterwards. If you are going to keep it then option 1 is the way to go. If you are gonna sell it then just sell it. You will not get your money back from building it or putting a motor in it unless you get something really cheap and you can just swap it. A coworker of mine bought that really cheap one that had a replacement motor in it and he had to put another motor in it. Spent about 7k more on the truck and is pissed about it. If you’re gonna sell it, sell it.
rickasurus_rex likes this.

2015 GMC 2500 HD Denali, Cooper ST MAXX 35-12.5-20, 5" Rough Country lift, & EGR pocket flares.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 08:11 AM
Duramax Forum Supporter

Hot Rod the LML (badass looking truck you have there, btw!) if you're gonna keep it and leave the new one stock!

Adam
2006 GMC 2500HD 4x4 (VIN 2)
6" Pro Comp Lift, CST upper arms, DMax Store tie rods, King dual shocks, Sulastic shackles, 60" traction bars, rear airbags, 4.56 gears, Detroit TT, MA transfer case, 35/12.50 on Hostile 20x10's
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 03:46 PM

Garage
option #2 if you have the space to stash away a parts truck and the ability to do the work. You wont get what it's worth to you by selling anyway, and you have a done a very nice job with it thus far. That truck is sweet! with option #2 you can keep it check and as long as you aren't looking to get wild witha 750-1000 horse monster you don't have to get crazy on engine builds

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

2012 Graystone Metallic CCSB 6.6 LML
Work in Progress
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 03:54 PM

Garage
I vote option one if you're keeping or selling. Keep all receipts and document the build. That will make the truck worth the most.

“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.” - Albert Einstein

2017 2500HD GMC Denali CCSB
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 12:01 PM

I'd keep the 2012 and fix it for a fun truck. You have another truck so you're not in a hurry to get the 2012 on the road. Take your time and have fun learning how to fix it...

This is what I bought: https://dmaxstore.com/products/?rout...roduct_id=3697

with all the goodies it came to @$11K better option than the industrial injection short block IMO...

2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali
Fass 150, CP3, Up pipe, Down pipe, EZ lynk w/ 5 tunes SOTF, Magnaflow exhaust, DPF delete, EGR delete
PCV re-route, 4 inch Fabtech lift, 35in tires
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 12:16 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

I melted my #2 in my LBZ. I found a low mileage motor from a wrecker and replaced the whole thing. $4k CDN and 3 days with a buddy to pull and swap in the middle of winter. Gives ya a rough idea on what it may cost you.
mizterwizard likes this.

Beastly Build
LBZ Drag Racing
2006 GMC LBZ 4x4 CC/SB
1/4 Mile [email protected]
1.793 60'
DIED 09/19/17 11:02AM
REVIVED 12/21/17 3:57PM
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 11:30 PM

nice truck!!!

2015 Duramax LML Stock
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 08:38 AM
Duramax Forum Supporter

Me, I would do option #2 IF you know the condition of the donor truck and get all the harnesses, wiring, pulleys, computers, alternator etc and can pull it yourself, much easier to R&R with everything intact, lot cheaper than rebuilding, truck is back on the road in less than a week and you can keep the extra stuff for spares if you ever need them or sell/trade 'em. However, I'm on a fixed income and $15K for a rebuild wouldn't fit my budget...
mizterwizard likes this.

2004.5 GMC SLT 4X4 CCLB LLY Ally, some mystery stuff, trans by Mike L, Magnaflow DP, Ride Rites, LBZ turbo inlet mod, AD II 165, po' man CAI, HIDs, stock height, Cognito tie rods, Bilstein 5100s, Isspros, H2 wheels with Toyo OC 285-70-17s, B&W turnover & Companion, Prodigy P3, dog snot on windows......

Sent from my antique HP DV7-4183cl with Radeon HD5470 graphics, Beats Audio and Blu-ray drive.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in