Another delete thread... Buy now?? - Page 3 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 2011 to 2016 LML Duramax Trucks No Advertising

 43Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 10:52 AM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast
 
J83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Alaska
Posts: 4,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon Summit View Post
I really doubt this finding people on forums will be their way to catch people.

But that does lead me to what I've been thinking for a while:

If they get serious about enforcing the laws on diesels I'm guessing they'll just mandate pollution checks every so many years.
I live in SD and we don't have any of that now and I hope it stays that way.

But lets say I would get pulled over for a traffic ticket like speeding. All the cop would have to say is "I thought your exhaust sounded a little loud, start your truck up and let me hear it. " Its kind of like them saying "I think I smell alcohol, have you been drinking?" You can never prove what they did or didn't really smell but if you blow hot you are going to jail. If you have not been drinking they just say "oh I guess I was wrong, don't know what I smelled". It will be same with this, you start your truck and it whistles he'll know right then you've done a delete. If its stock then he just says "oh I guess I was wrong, I don't know what I heard". Too easy to catch and really no probable cause needed to "search" for it. Just a BS excuse about smoke or loud exhaust.

Not that I ever would do a delete but if I did I always thought I'd leave the def tank hanging there just to keep the appearance of stock. But the turbo sound, not sure you can hide that.

So long story short maybe this thread should be if someone ever was going to delete is there any way to mask the fact its been done?

Im not saying that you are wrong, i forsee some bad days ahead as well, however i dont think that you could use the exhaust sound as a pass fail as there is emissions compliant aftermarket exhaust, and there is no way they would be able to train every cop to tell the difference between a deleted and non deleted truck. Keep in mind that you can get emissions compliant turbo upgrades including twins, so the sound of the truck should not legally qualify for probable cause to search.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dales Super Store View Post
To clear up some hearsay here is the link describing a main component of the new EPA enforcement.

https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/nati...es-and-engines


my favorite line from that is

"...and impedes efforts by the EPA, tribes, states, and local agencies to plan for and attain air quality standards."

Its like the EPA forgets that we live in the same atmosphere as china while we as a country also further remove ourselves from global efforts to reduce emissions. Kind of sounds more like someone at the EPA just wanted to go on a crusade and saving the planet is just the *insert cause here* for there mission.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML

Last edited by J83; 12-10-2019 at 10:58 AM.
J83 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Rapid City, SD
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by J83 View Post
Im not saying that you are wrong, i forsee some bad days ahead as well, however i dont think that you could use the exhaust sound as a pass fail as there is emissions compliant aftermarket exhaust, and there is no way they would be able to train every cop to tell the difference between a deleted and non deleted truck. Keep in mind that you can get emissions compliant turbo upgrades including twins, so the sound of the truck should not legally qualify for probable cause to search.

I'm just hoping that SD stays behind the times on this like we are on everything else! But for guys in more populated areas or travel a lot I things might get dicey.

2016 GMC Denali 2500HD
Carbon Summit is offline  
post #23 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 11:01 AM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast
 
J83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Alaska
Posts: 4,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon Summit View Post
I'm just hoping that SD stays behind the times on this like we are on everything else! But for guys in more populated areas or travel a lot I things might get dicey.
It just seems like there are literally millions of things more important then spending tax dollars fighting 0.5% of the diesel market. There's homeless kids on the streets, people who cant feed themselves in our own country, high unemployment, record debts, politically divided country.... but hey, at least were spending the money where it matters....

We have kids here under 18 whos only meals come from school, and they couch surf at night... but thats less important then making sure our trucks fail at predetermined times.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
J83 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 11:02 AM
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: MB Canada
Posts: 8
my favorite line from that is

"...and impedes efforts by the EPA, tribes, states, and local agencies to plan for and attain air quality standards."

Its like the EPA forgets that we live in the same atmosphere as china while we as a country also further remove ourselves from global efforts to reduce emissions. Kind of sounds more like someone at the EPA just wanted to go on a crusade and saving the planet is just the *insert cause here* for there mission.[/QUOTE]

That's what I can't figure out. Light duty diesels make up such a small fraction of a percent of the emissions in the world. Why are they on a vendetta to punish this class of vehicle compared to the factories belching out pollution? (Rant over)
HuckLB7 likes this.
Blujett2.0 is offline  
post #25 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Rapid City, SD
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by J83 View Post
It just seems like there are literally millions of things more important then spending tax dollars fighting 0.5% of the diesel market. There's homeless kids on the streets, people who cant feed themselves in our own country, high unemployment, record debts, politically divided country.... but hey, at least were spending the money where it matters....
Ironically I typed something very similar to that on my last post but deleted it thinking there is so much political stuff online right now and I'm already in the dog house on this forum for even starting this tread with some members lol.

2016 GMC Denali 2500HD
Carbon Summit is offline  
post #26 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 11:07 AM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast
 
J83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Alaska
Posts: 4,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blujett2.0 View Post
my favorite line from that is

That's what I can't figure out. Light duty diesels make up such a small fraction of a percent of the emissions in the world. Why are they on a vendetta to punish this class of vehicle compared to the factories belching out pollution? (Rant over)
because the corporate america runs the country. Your not going to punish the guy shoveling money in your pocket, especially if they point you in a direction to attack. Amazon is a perfect example of this. 11 billion in incom, 0 taxes paid. You think if you or I made 11 billion dollars that we'd pay 0 taxes?

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
J83 is offline  
post #27 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 11:09 AM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast
 
J83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Alaska
Posts: 4,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon Summit View Post
Ironically I typed something very similar to that on my last post but deleted it thinking there is so much political stuff online right now and I'm already in the dog house on this forum for even starting this tread with some members lol.

If that post gets me in the dog house here, so be it. And if someone disagrees with it, i would be happy to have a conversation about it so long as its not "I'm right because you're wrong and that's it"

Better yet, tell the kids with no families who go to school hungry, go to bed hungry and dont know where there going to sleep night to night that they dont deserve help because 1 in every 200 (and i think that is very a generous estimate) diesel trucks are ruining the air we breath.
Carbon Summit likes this.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML

Last edited by J83; 12-10-2019 at 11:11 AM.
J83 is offline  
post #28 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 11:10 AM
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: MB Canada
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by J83 View Post
because the corporate america runs the country. Your not going to punish the guy shoveling money in your pocket, especially if they point you in a direction to attack. Amazon is a perfect example of this. 11 billion in incom, 0 taxes paid. You think if you or I made 11 billion dollars that we'd pay 0 taxes?
I agree with you J83. It just sucks. I just got into Duramaxes over a year ago and fell in love with them. I wanted to look at an LMM or LML but this is a concern upgrading down the road. Granted the EPA doesn't appear to have the same reach up here in the land of maple syrup. (yet)
Blujett2.0 is offline  
post #29 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 11:14 AM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast
 
J83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Alaska
Posts: 4,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blujett2.0 View Post
I agree with you J83. It just sucks. I just got into Duramaxes over a year ago and fell in love with them. I wanted to look at an LMM or LML but this is a concern upgrading down the road. Granted the EPA doesn't appear to have the same reach up here in the land of maple syrup. (yet)
You can see my location under my avatar, im like 50% maple syrup

I mean theres new cases of polio in kids in the US.... but a minor increase in diesel emissions are the issue. get real people. You have a finite (yes... it is ACTUALLY finite) amount of tax money to spend.... and you choose to spend it on a fraction of light duty diesel engines. Pick your battles....

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML

Last edited by J83; 12-10-2019 at 11:18 AM.
J83 is offline  
post #30 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 11:27 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
 
Hook'em_Horns!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Awww-stin, TX
Posts: 25,966
Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Quote:
....high unemployment,....

Where?
77cruiser, Grog and mizterwizard like this.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
Hook'em_Horns! is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in













Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome