(FULLY DELETED) 2014 GMC Denali Tuner Question - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 2011 to 2016 LML Duramax Trucks No Advertising

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

(FULLY DELETED) 2014 GMC Denali Tuner Question

Hey guys and gals, I just purchased a 2014 GMC Sierra Denali 2500 and it is a fully deleted truck with an H&S mini maxx on it and I'm looking for a new tuner due to H&S going out of business. I will be using the truck for towing around a gooseneck up to 13k pounds and was looking for what everyone has (or hasn't) had luck with as far as tuners and monitoring. I was looking at Edge and EFI products but figured I'd ask here first before spending the money. Any and all input will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 09:44 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Just because a company is going out of business doesn’t mean your tuning will stop working.
EFI would be better but the choices are getting slim to none.

People are still running Quadzilla, they closed their doors back around I think 2012-2013.
I still have my Quadzilla Stealth II device loaded with no DPF tunes for the LMM, not currently using but under my desk in its box.

I’m still running my first ATP tune that I got 6/2012 they are also out of business, my truck still runs even though ATP is not around anymore.

Factory tuning is in a vehicle until death do you part or you load tuning from another device.

Edge doesn’t do delete tuning.

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B."BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe, DHD PCV Re-Route, AirDog 4G100
Castrol Hypuron/Vecton 15W40 synthetic blend oil
Donaldson P550832 2 qt oil filter

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning

Last edited by D_R_C; 01-16-2020 at 09:48 PM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

It's not so much that I want to change it strictly because they are out of business as much as if something was to go bad with the tune or programmer there is little to no tech support aside from forums. And with it being a deleted truck as you mentioned not a lot of companies even produce deleted tunes as it is, so I'm just trying to find one that I can work with and can actually build me tunes for the truck. I didnt know edge doesn't produce tunes for deleted truck so I guess they are off the list. Thanks for the reply definitely appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 05:57 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

The Edge Insight is a good choice for a monitor, particularly when towing. The things you should monitor is Trans Fluid Temp, Engine Coolant Temp (Notoriously inaccurate dash gauge on these trucks) and Exhaust Gas Temp (requires a probe to be installed because it ois not on the truck from factory).

There are several threads on here explaining how to operate your vehicle while towing (RPMs to maintain, gears to maintain (Stay out of 6th gear) use Tow haul, Exhaust Brake usage etc. There at many guys on here with lots of experience towing heavy with these trucks.

This thread has a lot of good information:

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/t...vy-towing.html

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.

Last edited by 407driver; 01-17-2020 at 06:20 AM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 07:39 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

I understand your concerns but a lot of members on this forum has tunes from a company that no longer does tunes, you never know when another one bites the dust.
In most cases the only time you might have a problem is if you change to a bigger turbo, larger injectors.

ECM/TCM tuning is not quite the same as parts failing because of age.
You want to make sure you have the tuning device incase you have to replace the ECM you have the tuning to load on the new one, you have that.

A few go the less costly way with tuning by having a shop load tunes but the shop keeps the device.
Then when they want to change something like the tire size, turbo, injectors the shop or guy that has the device canít be found.
Iím in that position now, I doubt Iíd ever go with a bigger turbo, larger injectors, my tires are large enough.
EFI you have to have the tuner change the tire size, Quadzilla and Iím sure your mini max you can adjust the tire size if needed with your device.

To be honest your list is about as short as it could get, one, if you can find one.
The only reason I went from Quadzilla after 5 years to EFI was the turbo brake, otherwise Iíd still be running my Quad with no support, donít really need it.
This was before it was figured out how to wire up for a turbo brake, which you already have a factory engine brake.

ĒGood luckĒ

Dan

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_R_C View Post
I understand your concerns but a lot of members on this forum has tunes from a company that no longer does tunes, you never know when another one bites the dust.
In most cases the only time you might have a problem is if you change to a bigger turbo, larger injectors.

ECM/TCM tuning is not quite the same as parts failing because of age.
You want to make sure you have the tuning device incase you have to replace the ECM you have the tuning to load on the new one, you have that.

A few go the less costly way with tuning by having a shop load tunes but the shop keeps the device.
Then when they want to change something like the tire size, turbo, injectors the shop or guy that has the device can’t be found.
I’m in that position now, I doubt I’d ever go with a bigger turbo, larger injectors, my tires are large enough.
EFI you have to have the tuner change the tire size, Quadzilla and I’m sure your mini max you can adjust the tire size if needed with your device.

To be honest your list is about as short as it could get, one, if you can find one.
The only reason I went from Quadzilla after 5 years to EFI was the turbo brake, otherwise I’d still be running my Quad with no support, don’t really need it.
This was before it was figured out how to wire up for a turbo brake, which you already have a factory engine brake.

”Good luck”
Thank you for the advice, I'm just super worried about the truck since $60 worth of contaminated fuel totalled my 02 F250 and this truck is extremely nice and I want to keep it that way so I want to make sure all off my temps and everything stay in check so I dont hurt the truck. Also on a side note is there anywhere I can find a fuel table for the timing on this truck. I noticed the other day that when I was merging and really had to get in the truck that the timing jumped to a +21 on my tuner then leveled out at +3. I understand that at idle timing should be +4/-4 according to GM so I just want to see what my "safe" parameters are for it.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 01:59 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

I don't know about fuel tables you asking for but when mines cold the timing will run up in the mid-high teens, then taper down as the ECT gets normal, on it hard mid 20's normal operating ECT.
Average -2 to + 2-3, cruising 60-80 +8 to +9, this is with my ATP 40 hp towtune with turbo brake.
The larger the HP tune usually means higher timing.
Have you monitored the timing on all your HP tunes to find one that you might be more comfortable with the timing.
Towing always IMO use your lower HP tune.

Dan

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

The only tune on this H&S mini maxx is the street tune which I believe is +100hp and that is why I wanted to switch. I saw a video that showed Idaho Rob at ATP is no longer doing delete tunes and I'm trying to find a company still doing them before the EPA fully kills delete tunes. I NEED delete two tunes and if anyone has any and would like to share them I am fully open to suggestion or help since i will be hauling 10,000+lbs almost daily here in the next few months and do not want to haul on 100hp.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 06:15 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Thereís really no tune sharing with EFI, theyíre written for the vin number and lock to the tuner.
EFI is not like canned tuners like, H & S, EDGE, Bully Dog, etc are for multiple vehicles.

Dan

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_R_C View Post
There’s really no tune sharing with EFI, they’re written for the vin number and lock to the tuner.
EFI is not like canned tuners like, H & S, EDGE, Bully Dog, etc are for multiple vehicles.
So do you know of any major brands or reputable tuners still willing to work with deleted trucks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode