Leveling conundrum... to bag or not to bag??? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 2011 to 2016 LML Duramax Trucks No Advertising

6Likes
  • 3 Post By matt45648
  • 2 Post By rockn69
  • 1 Post By matt45648

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Leveling conundrum... to bag or not to bag???

So I am in a dilemma of sorts. This is on a í16 2500. My current setup is Suspensionmaxx keys that are not really cranked at all (torsion bolt is barely threaded in), Fox shocks (1-3Ē lift), and Kryptonite UCAís. my truck is sitting perfectly level, but I feel like I can get a bit more lift out of my setup and have a couple more inches before I hit my garage door.

My question is should I install a 1Ē rear block and turn my keys up to match it? Or should I opt for airbags in the rear, add a little pressure to gain an inch or so and turn the keys to match the height? Then Iíd maybe have some more adjustment in the bags to level out when hauling a camperÖ Basically are airbags ok to use as a lifting/leveling method for this?

Or do I leave it all alone?

2016 Chevy 2500 Z71 LTZ
Fleece CP3, Airdog 165 4g, Beans sump, Sinister EGR delete, MBRP 5" turbo back, S&B intake, EZ Lynk by PPEI, Edge CTS2, Sinister PCV reroute, Sinister resonator delete

Kryptonite UCA'S, Fox 2.0's, suspensionmaxx keys and diff drop, 22" Fuel Blitz's wrapped in Nittos... rub-a-dub dub... scrub scrub scrub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 09:03 AM

Location: we live in a high mountain valley in the hi country of northern arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt45648 View Post
So I am in a dilemma of sorts.… Basically are airbags ok to use as a lifting/leveling method for this??
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I found our 3500 long-bed dualie to have vastly more load capacity then we would ever need - the "price" for engineering that into a truck gave us a horrific, literally destructive rough ride on those occasions when we had to use it un-loaded.

And, as a side-note, I like my vehicles to ride relatively level, although I appreciate (we used to live in Southern Californicated) that in some cultures, it is important "for appearances sake" to dramatically change the riding heights and angles of a truck.

What do do?

As for the front adjustment, I recommend that you tighten the torsion bars only enough so that you can see a TRACE of daylight between the suspension component and the rubber limiting "bumper".

As for the rear suspension - I removed one of the spring leaves from each side. Much to my surprise, the rear riding height, now reduced to a just about level position, didn't change much with or without an approx. 1,500 "bumper pull" tounge load.

All that being said, I did install air shocks, hoses tied together, with a "Shraeder" valve easily accessible next to the rear license plate. I leave about 5 lbs air pressure (psi) in them on those occasions when we have to use the truck for individual transportation, and about 40 lbs psi when towing.

Frankly, as good as the air shocks are, I think the much larger surface air bags available from at least two manufacturers, would be even better.

2013 3500 long bed crew cab. Purchased at approx. 80,000; at this writing have 93,000+, bone-stock except for a few things to increase reliability - convert to CP3. CAT oil filter with nipple installed. Removed one leaf for smoother ride when "empty" - air-shocks to re-gain correct rear elevation when heavy "bumper-pull" towing. Sold to me with round wheels and round tires. I am happy with round wheels & round tires. Went into "limp mode" at the wrong time. Had the DPF cleaned by a professional DPF cleaning service so pollution system is bone stock and fully operable....well..it was until...Ö..
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

I appreciate the reply..... but I'm not sure what any of what you said means.....

2016 Chevy 2500 Z71 LTZ
Fleece CP3, Airdog 165 4g, Beans sump, Sinister EGR delete, MBRP 5" turbo back, S&B intake, EZ Lynk by PPEI, Edge CTS2, Sinister PCV reroute, Sinister resonator delete

Kryptonite UCA'S, Fox 2.0's, suspensionmaxx keys and diff drop, 22" Fuel Blitz's wrapped in Nittos... rub-a-dub dub... scrub scrub scrub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt45648 View Post
I appreciate the reply..... but I'm not sure what any of what you said means.....
LOL, all his posts ramble like that. Surprised no fuzzy bunny wabbits were killed while he was installing the air shocks.
randallsfield and denarli6.6 like this.

2015.5 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ, Z71, SRW.
Summit White
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 02:36 PM

Personally I would just leave it alone. The higher you crank the front the worse the ride will be or you can fork out the cash for a 4-6" lift and turn it all the way down. As mentioned above all his posts are irrelevant to the threads.

2016 LML Denali 2500
Mcgaughy's 2" drop shackle
Bilstein 5100
22x10 American Force Flux black w machined or Toyos on OEM wheels. Depends on the day of the week
Wehrli S300 kit w/ 66mm SXE
Wehrli CP3 conversion 10mm stroker
Profab Manifold & Up-pipes
Stock Trans For Now
Stock Sticks For Now
Air Dog 165 4G
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 04:55 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

I have 1Ē blocks and air bags. I only use the bags for towing, if you used them pumped up and the truck unloaded, it would ride like 💩. Mine still has a little rake to it and the front is leveled within reason so that I still have a good ride. I might have to replace a few parts sooner than normal, but I am ok with that.
Attached Images

2016 2500hd Custom Sport, Z71, LTZ
Leveled with Moto 961's and 295/70\18 Ridge Grapplers,Amp steps, Weathertech mats, Extang Encore,S&B dry,
Wehrli intake bridge and AFE IC piping,Edge Insight cts2, AirDog II 165,SDP resonator delete, Mishimoto pcv catch can, MBRP down pipe,Recon led tail lights and third brake light, Morimoto mini D2S 5.0 projectors w/hidís, Morimoto 2stroke 2.0 ledís highs and fogs.
Kryptonite ucaís & tie rod sleeves, CCM diff drop,Fox 2.0 reservoirs, steering stabilizer, CalTracs,
Cognito PISK and heavy duty sway bar links, AirLift bags,
Nitro 4.30ís w/Nitro TracRite posi...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Mine rides pretty well... I just dont know that Im getting the lift the setup is capable of...
Attached Images

CDmax16 likes this.

2016 Chevy 2500 Z71 LTZ

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

It look pretty normal?

2016 Chevy 2500 Z71 LTZ

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 07:13 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

I think it looks good like that.👍🏻

2016 2500hd Custom Sport, Z71, LTZ
Leveled with Moto 961's and 295/70\18 Ridge Grapplers,Amp steps, Weathertech mats, Extang Encore,S&B dry,
Wehrli intake bridge and AFE IC piping,Edge Insight cts2, AirDog II 165,SDP resonator delete, Mishimoto pcv catch can, MBRP down pipe,Recon led tail lights and third brake light, Morimoto mini D2S 5.0 projectors w/hidís, Morimoto 2stroke 2.0 ledís highs and fogs.
Kryptonite ucaís & tie rod sleeves, CCM diff drop,Fox 2.0 reservoirs, steering stabilizer, CalTracs,
Cognito PISK and heavy duty sway bar links, AirLift bags,
Nitro 4.30ís w/Nitro TracRite posi...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode