Redneck's LML Dually Build Thread - Page 8 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 2011 to 2016 LML Duramax Trucks No Advertising

81Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 1025 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Finally! Wheels on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOKER View Post
Well done.

Tex, I won't ever apologize for posting memes on your thread...
No worries. I was on Spring Break, charity bike ride and the wife was in the hospital and my desktop computer crashed. Been a long few weeks. As soon as I get my desktop back, I'll update since all my photos on on that desktop. yes, there are multiple hard drives in a RAID array so they are backed up, but the power supply bit the dust.

I did get my AD165II installed this weekend, so the backlog of updates is growing.

AND Joker, you can post here any time and anything. Just having you part of my thread makes me feel like I'm hanging out with the cool kids...

The Bus
Looking for OBS interior parts: Graphite color code. (1999-2004 IIRC) Door panels for sure, but let me know what you have

RedNeck Dually Build Thread
Dually Club Member #191
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERWATCH_09 View Post
The perfect storm of incompetence....Nothing more dangerous than a redneck with money.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose2448 View Post
It's really complicated sounding, but it's easier than giving a fat girl a bucket of ice cream.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 1025 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedNeck View Post
Yeah, after $14k in work on the LB7 because I made a bad decision, I need the comfort of a warranty for a while. Give me a year or so and I may grow a set....
Story time? At least a quick & easy, I suck at looking through post histories and the search function on these forums usually blow.

2011 LML LTZ 3500 SRW

Full EGR, DPF, DEF delete (by myself, after lots of cussing). MBRP down pipe, up pipe, 4" Flo Pro, tunes by Kory Willis

HELP ME GET RID OF MY STOCK KNUCKLES
post #73 of 1025 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 04:55 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Here we go!!!

Tyler

2015.5 Chevy 3500HD High Country CC/LWB 4x4 DRW __Edge Insight CTS2, B&W turnover ball, factory nerfs, RDS 60gal fuel tank/toolbox combo,

Quote:
You can never have too much tire, only too much fender.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 1025 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Finally! Wheels on!

Quote:
Story time? At least a quick & easy, I suck at looking through post histories and the search function on these forums usually blow.

Ok. Once upon a time... there was a redneck who worked in an office behind a desk but grew up working on stuff so he always had to have a truck in the stable. An uncle had a 6.5GM diesel that sucked and my girlfriends parents had a 350 diesel in an oldsmobile that was a nightmare. So when it was time to get another truck in 2001 I did not want to be the guinnea pig on a new diesel so I bought a 2001 CCSB 4WD with the 6.0. It was fine for what I did which was DD and towing a small boat and jet skis as well as the occasional load of gravel, dirt what have you.

Fast forward to 2005 and hurricane Katrina/Rita. I had shed the blinders of civility and was keenly aware of the ability of man's depravity when I saw the breakdown of society before my eyes in the evacuation which caused many people to sit in a car on the freeway for 12 hours and only travel about 40 miles. Gas supply ran out and people were dying on the side of the road, fist fights and other assaults were common around the lines at gas pumps.

I knew then that I needed a diesel because during all this, the rednecks in their trucks were rolling up and getting fuel while all the gassers were throwing rocks at each other. I began to try to figure out what I wanted. My two daughters had grown up in my lifted 2001 gasser. (Daddy's big red truck) and when I told them I was going to get rid of it they literally cried hysterically. I had identified 2 candidates, a 7.3 Powerstroke with 70,000 miles and a 2001 CCLB 4WD Duramax that looked identical to my truck except the LB. The girls gave the thumbs up and I bought the LB7.

The mistake began as I was looking on line at Cars.com and Northwest Motorsports in Washington state had this great looking LB7 with only 120K miles on it. Not bad for an 11 year old truck and it looked cherry. Little did I know that there could be issues, expensive issues, with diesels. I called and talked to them and they seemed legit so I bought it sight unseen (except the photos) Mailed them a check and they sent it to Houston.

First, when I said I was going to arrange shipping they said that they could take care of it and would ship it for $1000, half of what I had been quoted. So to my surprise it shows up and they had driven it down and not "transported it" and expected me to haul the driver to the airport.

The next day, the truck lost prime sitting in my driveway and would not start. I knew nothing about the Duramax but knew I needed to get some professional advice to make sure all issues were identified so if I wanted to nix the deal and send it back I figured that out sooner rather than later.

So, I tried to find a reputable diesel mechanic and found a place in South Houston, Houston Performance Diesel. Talked to the owner and he seemed like he knew what he was talking about. He had several medium and heavy trucks in the shop and I thought, he seems legit. So I take the truck over there and ask him to go over it with a fine tooth comb. He pulls codes and looks it over and we discuss it.

So it had several codes related to the loss of prime and a P0700 for the tranny. The guys says, the injectors are OK, but the CP3 is weak and the filter head needs replacing. Remember the P0700? Yeah, he says, "ehh, lifted trucks always throw those codes because of the lift, its nothing to worry about" I report back to the dealer and they agree to split the cost of the repairs which would have been about what it would cost to ship it back. That started me looking for a place to learn about diesels,which led me here. So I decided to add a Banks Big Head Waste Gate, an AD165 and delete the filter head while I was at it. Got it all done and the truck ran pretty good.

Another fast forward and a couple of months later and I rent a bumper pull trailer that weighed about 10,000 pounds. I hook up to it and it goes into limp mode. I didn't know what that was at the time, but it was not fun limping it home at 40mph from 90 miles away. Well when the dealer paid half the repairs they required a settlement which meant I was done with the dealer's willingness to cover any of the costs.

So an incompetent buyer meets, incompetent dealer and incompetent mechanic. Crash course begins in transmissions and EFI learning. Wind up at Calvin's and Brad builds me a bullet proof tranny and Kory hooks me up with EFI live and DSP-5. And tells me the balance rates are marginal and to start planning for injectors at some point.

6 months later, I'm back for injectors and we do all new lines, remove, clean and reinstall the cups.

So, I dropped 21K on the truck when I bought it. Then 4K on the pump and other mods (dealer paid half), then 6K on tranny and EFI, and then 6K on injectors (and had them run compression and other tests to make sure I wasn't throwing money away on that engine.

So, I have nearly 40K in a 12 year old truck. Not real smart but it forced me to learn a lot about the Duramax in a short period of time. In hindsight, I think it only needed a filter head rebuild and a tranny and injectors, but the dude at the shop mis identified the problem as a weak CP3. Now, its a sweet truck, the interior is in as good a shape as my 2013, the paint is awesome and the motor is strong at 132K now with a new tranny. There was a lot of money spent by someone in the FTS 12 inch lift and Weld wheels and other goodies.

So, long story short, having to find a way to spin that epic story of incompetence to the wife has led me to want to keep the warranty on my LML for a while until I sell the LB7 and it fades from her memory.

Any one want to buy a really sweet LB7 for a smoking deal?

The Bus
Looking for OBS interior parts: Graphite color code. (1999-2004 IIRC) Door panels for sure, but let me know what you have

Dually Club Member #191
Quote:
The perfect storm of incompetence....Nothing more dangerous than a redneck with money.....
Quote:
It's really complicated sounding, but it's easier than giving a fat girl a bucket of ice cream.
post #75 of 1025 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 05:14 AM

The perfect storm of incompetence huh? That's about where I'm at right now, new to diesels and about to start ripping out all my emissions equipment.

Nothing more dangerous than a redneck with money.....

2011 LML LTZ 3500 SRW

Full EGR, DPF, DEF delete (by myself, after lots of cussing). MBRP down pipe, up pipe, 4" Flo Pro, tunes by Kory Willis

post #76 of 1025 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
Finally! Wheels on!

Quote:

Nothing more dangerous than a redneck with money.....
May I use that statement as a quote in my sig?

The Bus

Dually Club Member #191
Quote:
Quote:
post #77 of 1025 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 07:00 AM

Absolutely. It is a rule taught to me by my father, and his father before him.

Of course, the danger compounds when you add even a hint of intelligence to the situation.

2011 LML LTZ 3500 SRW

post #78 of 1025 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 07:39 PM

Still have the silver tailgate? Works as long as you don't have the backup camera right?
post #79 of 1025 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Finally! Wheels on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbyrex View Post
Still have the silver tailgate? Works as long as you don't have the backup camera right?
Yep, still taking up room in my garage. outside is mint and inside has very few wear marks No lock or camera but will work on NBS up to 14.

Oh, and I got my computer back and all my data and pictures were still in tact, so I plan on getting caught up on the build thread this weekend!

The Bus

Dually Club Member #191
Quote:
Quote:
post #80 of 1025 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 08:49 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedNeck View Post
Any one want to buy a really sweet LB7 for a smoking deal?

Ill trade you a "really sweet" LML!

Tyler

2015.5 Chevy 3500HD High Country CC/LWB 4x4 DRW __Edge Insight CTS2, B&W turnover ball, factory nerfs, RDS 60gal fuel tank/toolbox combo,

Quote:
You can never have too much tire, only too much fender.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode