Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

2015+ Silverado Retrofit

26K views 80 replies 23 participants last post by  Stix49 
#1 · (Edited)
So about a month ago i decided it was time to update my 2015.5 silverado headlights. I never had a teriible problem with the stock lights myself, but after the swap, i might have just been in denial :rofl
So lets begin... I ordered a kit from @LSLighting that was comprised of Morimoto FX-R 3.0s with the 3 inch lens, 55 watt 5Five Ballast, Fastbright D2S bulbs 5700K, full HD relay kit, canceller, and installation retrofit kit provided by LSL.
Here's a quick little teaser, look really close, see that red dot, that is a stop sign right at .7 miles away thats slightly slanted due to the curving to the left. Mind you, these are my LOW BEAMS ONLY!

And back to work... Just wanted to get this started!

See less See more
#38 ·
Anytime (as you figured out yesterday).
Enjoy your new super novas :thumb

Do this once in a dark area.
Turn the head light knob to on (farthest right), pull back on light stalk and hold it back while turning the knob back one position, what you end up seeing is how pitiful these make your brights look now. I need to figure out SOMETHING for mine!

#40 ·
Im glad to see more and more retrofits these days, especially the FXR!! they are so easy to install on the new trucks ! Good job bud

Reactions: mdufficy
#41 ·
I appreciate TDavis' pictures and posts on this thread but does LSLighting have detailed install instructions? I saw another thread where he did not which is why I'm asking.

Karl

#46 ·
I would have got frustrated and threw these headlights away if it wasn't for brotha TDavis! He offered to help a complete stranger and spent nearly an hour on the phone walking me through what I needed to do to get my system set up. Thank you again!
Nothing but a thing man, hope you're enjoying them the way I enjoy mine!

#47 ·
I have a 2016 Chevy 3500 ltz srw with 5,000 miles on it and I finally got around to installing my fx-r 3.0 projectors today that I purchased from longshot lighting also my 55w fastbright ballast with 5700k D2S kit with relay and everything. I basically got ahold of Tdavis on this post and bought everything he bought and I couldn't be happier. I can't believe for $65,000 these trucks don't come with them. I had a lot of questions and tdavis was very helpful when I texted him and he even called me a couple of times. Lslighting was amazing also very prompt on order and shipping and would recommend him to everyone I talk to.

Attachments

#50 ·
subd

#56 ·
It is because of people like you Tyler (and soooo many others),
that makes this forum is so beneficial to all.
And also knowing that the help is available to those who might
not have taken on this kind of project.
All that one has to be done is ASK.
I've bookmarked this thread cause I will be doing this upgrade in the near future.

Reactions: TDavis1992
#61 ·
#60 ·
Cool.

#63 ·
You would still go 55 watt "Morimoto FX-R 3.0s with the 3 inch lens, 55 watt 5Five Ballast, Fastbright D2S bulbs 5700K, full HD relay kit, canceller, and installation retrofit kit provided by LSL."?
It's the D2H not D2S, right? At least that is what LSL says on their web site. I actually have a set of FX-r (not sure what version) but with D2S which has a big connector attachment.

#66 ·
Spoke to Michael with LSL at length today. Morimoto just recently released the mini D2S 4.0 which seems to be superior to the fx-r 3.0 according to him and this video. https://youtube.com/watch?v=cmS6PSESn64
I think I will give this approach a try using 4300k. Got the DRL easily handled too. Going to take pics of before and after, and of the install.

#68 ·
Tyler, thanks for answering my questions. Only issue I have is that onstar message telling me perhaps my passenger and driver side headlights malfunctioned. No dash lights nor flashing warnings although I do have that canceller or can bus device (capacitor?) installed.
I used the same kit you did Tyler except that I used the new D2S 4.0 projectors, 35w 4300k bulbs and fast start 35w ballasts.

#69 ·
Well, it is all finished! The how to and details on the D2S 4.0 HID retrofit is here. Thanks Tyler for this thread. I now have great lights!

Before.

And after.

#72 ·
Yeah, it's the light this truck should have had from the factory.

#75 ·
I do want to apologize for my time away and I will be prioritizing the Duramax Forum now that I am getting back on my feey from a few months down.

Tyler thank you so much for all the help and Audiomixer thank you as well.

Now, the 4.0 is now up on the site with options. Hardware has been changed and after 6 installs with new hardware it all checks out.

There will be a bundle deal in a few days (this weekend) for the 4.0 kit, with XBLED fog lights.
I also have a generic 4.0 style projector coming that will have a little less sharp cutoff that will be touch better for the truly dedicated on road long haul drivers or those with old man eyes. They are "generic" but are actually Hella 5 aftermarket projectors which the Morimoto 4.0 was based off.

I also will be making an install video next week to cover the 4.0, and the FXR.

Also soon will be a few posts covering a few tips and details on what each projector offers, and some more advanced lighting knowledge to help everyone pick the option that will be best for them.

Now that I am a bit more on the ball, I will also be adding some more items to the site that you functional lighting guys should fall in love with, or at least I hope you do.

#76 ·
PROJECTOR SWAP & XBLED FOG SALE
Now that some medical issues have been worked out and items are stocked ready to go. Along with the 2015+ HD projector swap bundles have been dialed in with the proper hardware to make install as easy as possible a sale is in order.
https://www.longshotlighting.com/collections/items-on-sale
USE; DF15 for 15% off.
This sale will run for a limited time, good until Apr, 21, 2017.
Included sale items will be projector swap bundles, Morimoto XBLED fog lights, and other items.
As for the Projector swap bundles:
If you do long hauls on the highway the 55 watt kit is not recommended. The output is intense and can fatigue your eyes over hours of driving. Also 4300k is the most functional on road color-temp for all around driving to include snow, fog, dust and rain.
If you go with the Morimoto XBLED fogs you will want 5500k-6500k headlight bulbs if matching is your priority.
Please call if you want to go over options and ask for recommendations on what will meet your needs best.
(209)581-8096

#78 ·
I know im bumping this to the top from way in the past however I followed this thread awhile ago and am ready to finally see something out of the windshield of my 16'!! I cant seem to get a hold of longshot lighting and cant find anything comparable or what appears to be as nice as his kits. Does anyone know how to get a hold of him? Im not sure on the best ballast/bulb combo to install.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.