Should i delete factory fuel filter or no? - Page 7 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 2011 to 2016 LML Duramax Trucks No Advertising

44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 75 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 07:22 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

IMO and many others there is no advantage deleting your stock fuel filter.
If you dig real deep on the true actual LP filters micron rating you’ll find pretty much all LP filters are in the true 5-10 micron rating, but they do claim 2 micron which is misleading to the consumer.
Where the Racor at the engine is a true 4 micron rating, that last bit of protection at the engine.
mizterwizard likes this.

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B. "BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe
DHD PCV Re-Route
AirDog 4G100

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning

Last edited by D_R_C; 07-16-2019 at 07:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 08:01 AM

Still no issues without my factory filter. I spend 20 bucks every 5000 miles and take 3 minutes to change my lift pump filter and water separator.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #63 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 09:15 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

It's that one time that might get you.

2001 2500HD 4WD EXTENDED CAB LS,
S&B CAI, 4" STAINLESS STEEL EXHAUST, EFI LIVE FROM ATP TRUCKS, EDGE CTS, PPE BOOST VALVE, BANKS INTERCOOLER PIPE, AIR DOG II 165, REBUILT TRANNY WITH SUNCOAST KIT, TRANSGO SHIFTKIT AND BILLIT TORQUE CONVERTER, NEW UPGRADED TAILSHAFT, PUMP RUB FIX ON TRANSFER WITH NEW ALUMINUM TAIL SHAFT, NEW TOW MIRRORS, NEW GAGE HEAVY DUTY FRONT AND REAR BUMPERS, BEANS SUMP, FUMOTO VALVE, RARE PARTS TIE RODS WITH COGNITO PISK, MAD JACK FUEL FILTER ACCESS DOOR, STAINLESS STEEL SPEED BLEEDERS.
2011 GMC 3500HD DUALLY Welding Bed, 4WD CREW CAB, 4" downpipe back exhaust, def delete, egr delete, with new LB7 up pipe, pcv reroute, Fass 150, EFI live with DSP 5, HSP CAI. Air Lift Air bags. PPEI transmission tune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mray View Post
It's that one time that might get you.
Might get you too, or might get anyone. Forums are great for opinions, and everyone's knowledge. From stock to modified, you can go back and forth and get opinions on everything here. Some think their opinions are stone cold hard facts, and that's ok too. But I asked a while back for links to fuel systems failures due to removing factory filter and relying on aftermarket. I didnt get any. I'm definately not saying there isn't any proof, but I dont know if there is either. So I'm just saying for the sake of people reading this....I'm still without issues, which is fact. But it would just be my opinion that it's safe to delete factory filter after a lift pump install.

post #65 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 07:54 PM

Garage
The Freedom of Speech is a wonderful thing, yet eating one's own foot is entertaining.

Having the stock filter in place is extra insurance, much like keeping insurance on your truck. You don't plan on wrecking your own rig but the crazy person texting in the Kia next to you has different plans. The choice is ultimately yours to make.

Deleting the filter head is another issue for operating in cold weather if the proper steps have not been taken, i.e. lift pump heater, antigelling additives...etc.

2008 2500HD 4x4 CrewCab All stock (for now), Airdog Lift Pump
post #66 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 08:03 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

I don't think anyone thinks a truck is ruined just because the OEM fuel filter is deleted. As long as there is good filtration elsewhere it probably won't be a problem. But then if you did nothing at all to the fuel system it would probably go okay.

The debate about keeping or removing the OEM fuel filter is more a question of eliminating as many possible failure modes a you can. By keeping the OEM filter there remains a possible failure mode with the primer pump leaking. By removing it there appears a possible failure mode with the hose sections in the fuel line flaking off internally and damaging the CP. I don't think anybody knows which is more likely but losing a CP is surely more expensive than losing a primer pump.

By keeping the OEM filter head you also keep one more way to prime the system if air should get in, not that a lift pump won't do the same job but if the lift pump fails it would be nice to have a primer pump just in case. It's a belt and suspenders sort of thing but for some it make sense. Not for everyone though.

Then there is the possibility of replacing the OEM filter head with an aftermarket head sans primer pump. That eliminates one failure mode without introducing another but it eliminates the hand priming option.

Or you could mount the fuel tank on the roof of the truck, filter fuel before it goes into the tank and rely on gravity and providence to handle the fuel needs of the truck. There are all kinds of solutions that could work. You pays you's money and you takes you's chances.
post #67 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 08:13 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
You'll find many posts declaring that
Quote:
"the WIF system is flawed, doesn't work, worthless, and is a source for leaks."
Usually based on never having seen a warning pop up.

I've only seen it twice pop up, on two different trucks over the years. So, I CAN say it does work.

The sensor leads a rough life on many trucks. It gets yanked/stretched/pulled because it wasn't unplugged beforehand.

And it gets warped and molested by the wrong tools....when it only needs to be finger tight (seals with an O-ring), just like the filter itself.

Not too long ago, there was a Member who posted a save story.

He had left the stock filter in place, as the tertiary filter after a Lift Pump install with aux filters.

One day, "ding ding ding"
'Water in Fuel' warning popped up.
So much water from a bad tank of fuel, the LP FWS was overwhelmed....but the stock filter was still in place and did what it was designed to do.

There is no gain by removing it.
Quote:
"But, it's one less filter to buy!"
Not really.
If your two 'quality' filters @ the LP are doing their job, you don't need to change out the stock filter.

I'm currently @ about 60k miles on the Racor tertiary filter up front.
Checking pressure with fresh 2 filters, no LP power, it shows no restrictions.
When/if it does (or I get the warning),
I've got a new TP3018 here to try out.
It was On Sale for $27/free ship a while back, so I snagged one.

My 2 Baldwins at the LP, recently changed @ 15k miles, $28 for the pair.

Edit;
There also have been more than just a few posts on a failed LP...one that claimed to be pass-thru, but wasn't. No way to prime if the stock head is deleted.
mray and mizterwizard like this.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"

Last edited by Hook'em_Horns!; 08-06-2019 at 08:17 PM.
post #68 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizterwizard View Post
I don't think anyone thinks a truck is ruined just because the OEM fuel filter is deleted. As long as there is good filtration elsewhere it probably won't be a problem. But then if you did nothing at all to the fuel system it would probably go okay.

The debate about keeping or removing the OEM fuel filter is more a question of eliminating as many possible failure modes a you can. By keeping the OEM filter there remains a possible failure mode with the primer pump leaking. By removing it there appears a possible failure mode with the hose sections in the fuel line flaking off internally and damaging the CP. I don't think anybody knows which is more likely but losing a CP is surely more expensive than losing a primer pump.

By keeping the OEM filter head you also keep one more way to prime the system if air should get in, not that a lift pump won't do the same job but if the lift pump fails it would be nice to have a primer pump just in case. It's a belt and suspenders sort of thing but for some it make sense. Not for everyone though.

Then there is the possibility of replacing the OEM filter head with an aftermarket head sans primer pump. That eliminates one failure mode without introducing another but it eliminates the hand priming option.

Or you could mount the fuel tank on the roof of the truck, filter fuel before it goes into the tank and rely on gravity and providence to handle the fuel needs of the truck. There are all kinds of solutions that could work. You pays you's money and you takes you's chances.
I like the gravity idea lol. And I get the extra insurance that people feel more cozy with, and I would never come back here and actually tell any of you if something bad happened to me because of my deleted factory filter. Lol I'm just kidding, I actually would chew on my own foot and let you all know if this truly bites me in ass some day.

dl0310 likes this.
post #69 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratlinhp View Post
Might get you too, or might get anyone. Forums are great for opinions, and everyone's knowledge. From stock to modified, you can go back and forth and get opinions on everything here. Some think their opinions are stone cold hard facts, and that's ok too. But I asked a while back for links to fuel systems failures due to removing factory filter and relying on aftermarket. I didnt get any. I'm definately not saying there isn't any proof, but I dont know if there is either. So I'm just saying for the sake of people reading this....I'm still without issues, which is fact. But it would just be my opinion that it's safe to delete factory filter after a lift pump install.

I feel that it would of probably have already gotten me if I had the factory filter deleted after a water in fuel experience, yes it is an opinion as I cannot prove that having the stock filter in place saved the CP4 pump but it was a real possibility as it seems water is devastating to these pumps. This is just my opinion.
ratlinhp likes this.

2001 2500HD 4WD EXTENDED CAB LS,
S&B CAI, 4" STAINLESS STEEL EXHAUST, EFI LIVE FROM ATP TRUCKS, EDGE CTS, PPE BOOST VALVE, BANKS INTERCOOLER PIPE, AIR DOG II 165, REBUILT TRANNY WITH SUNCOAST KIT, TRANSGO SHIFTKIT AND BILLIT TORQUE CONVERTER, NEW UPGRADED TAILSHAFT, PUMP RUB FIX ON TRANSFER WITH NEW ALUMINUM TAIL SHAFT, NEW TOW MIRRORS, NEW GAGE HEAVY DUTY FRONT AND REAR BUMPERS, BEANS SUMP, FUMOTO VALVE, RARE PARTS TIE RODS WITH COGNITO PISK, MAD JACK FUEL FILTER ACCESS DOOR, STAINLESS STEEL SPEED BLEEDERS.
2011 GMC 3500HD DUALLY Welding Bed, 4WD CREW CAB, 4" downpipe back exhaust, def delete, egr delete, with new LB7 up pipe, pcv reroute, Fass 150, EFI live with DSP 5, HSP CAI. Air Lift Air bags. PPEI transmission tune.
post #70 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 05:35 AM

Let me post the most succinct answer possible to the OP's original question.

NO!
D_R_C and AlisoBob like this.

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, MBRP Downpipe back 4" exhaust with muffler and FTE 30" resonator/muffler, Sinister EGR Delete, Tuned but wont say who did it, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode