Exhaust with cold air intake suggestions - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 2011 to 2016 LML Duramax Trucks No Advertising

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Exhaust with cold air intake suggestions

2015 GMC Denali 3500 and just put a cold air intake on it. I also have a tuner. Would like to add an exhaust for more sound but don't want stupid loud. Suggestions on which way to go? I will not be doing a full delete. Any suggestions would be appreciated or vendors with deal would be helpful as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 01:20 PM

If u are not deleting the sound will not change the DPF is the baffle /muffler to make it sound good u have to delete

2015.5 gmc Lml 2500 slt double cab no modifications
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 01:28 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

cold air intake and DPF back exhaust systems add nothing performance wise

-Lee-
LBZ Crew
Raptor lined rockers and flares by me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Gotcha. Please don't laugh, what is DPF? Also, what exhaust if I DO delete, will not be too stupid loud while still givng me some more performance gains?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 01:32 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

my deleted truck has a factory intake on it with a Y bridge kit, the turbo is plenty loud and the truck seems to breath fine at this power level. the DPF makes a huge difference in the sound output. without it, the truck is very loud even with an aftermarket muffler installed, so i would suspect that if you do not plan to remove the DPF, then there will be no significant difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincykid View Post
Gotcha. Please don't laugh, what is DPF? Also, what exhaust if I DO delete, will not be too stupid loud while still givng me some more performance gains?
diesel particulate filter (soot trap). the second part i cant answer. my MBRP 4" with muffler is perfectly quiet until you get to about half throttle and then it sounds like the gates of hell opened up. i suspect if i had spent more on the muffler it would be better but its still very loud at higher engine loads.

also, if you have a tune that disables emissions and you still have a DPF your going to have a bad time sooner rather than later as the DPF will continue trapping soot with no way to regen.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
TCM & ECM Tuning by MotorOps
Y Bridge delete with SS up and down pipes
4" MBRP downpipe back exhaust with muffler

Last edited by J83; 07-17-2019 at 01:35 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

I appreciate all of the input. So you guys are saying by simply replacing the exhaust will not do anything to the sound output of the truck? What if I just wanted more turbo noise. I tried the kit where you remove the top piece and replace it with a cap but that really didnt do squat. Cold air intake arrives Monday so I dont know if that will allow more whine out of it or not. Sorry for all the questions. Last duramax I had was a long time ago and was an LB7.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
If you want a really quiet but deleted truck check out the link below. I installed just the 17" resonator and its pretty dang quiet for what it was with just the 17" compared to straight pipe. The link below shows ol boy that installed the 30" FTE resonator and muffler that came with the exhaust. He has a couple videos of it but it sounds damn near stock.

2016 LML Denali 2500
Reverse level with Mcgaughy's 2" drop shackle
Bilstein 5100 all-around
22x10 American Force Flux black w machined
Wehrli S300 kit w/ 66mm SXE
Wehrli CP3 conversion Race series with 10mm stroker
Profab Manifold & Up-pipes
Stock Trans For Now
Stock Sticks For Now
Air Dog 165 4G
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 01:58 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

I had a 4" straight pipe on my LBZ as well as having a 3" downpipe, and just did a 17" FTE resonator in the front pipe and a MBRP "quiet tone" 30" muffler in the factory location. very happy with the way it sounds now, took all the straight pipe drone out and quieter overall, but still louder than factory stock with a good sound to it. wish I had done it years ago

here's a video of MBRP comparing dB from their regular muffler to the quiet tone one on a cummins

it's eerily quiet in the cab now and no drone, so I was expecting there to be no noise outside anymore, but had a buddy borrow the truck the other day and I was surprised that it still had a decent sound to it from outside

-Lee-
LBZ Crew
Raptor lined rockers and flares by me

Last edited by lddrew; 07-17-2019 at 02:06 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 11:02 AM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
I appreciate all of the input. So you guys are saying by simply replacing the exhaust will not do anything to the sound output of the truck? What if I just wanted more turbo noise. I tried the kit where you remove the top piece and replace it with a cap but that really didnt do squat. Cold air intake arrives Monday so I dont know if that will allow more whine out of it or not. Sorry for all the questions. Last duramax I had was a long time ago and was an LB7.
If you want to hear the turbo well, the DPF has to go. Adding cold air intake and the resonator delete will help a little, but the DPF is whats killing your sound. Unfortunately you need to delete to remove it.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
TCM & ECM Tuning by MotorOps
Y Bridge delete with SS up and down pipes
4" MBRP downpipe back exhaust with muffler
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

SO, what about swapping out the stock downpipe? My thoughts are now 3" MBRP downpipe, 5" straight pipe with muffler. The question then is what happens to the connectors that are currently located on or by the cat etc. Also, can I do that prior to updating my efi Live or do I need to get returned prior to doing that? Also, would just doing the downpipe do anything for me? The problem I am having is finding a good diesel performance place here in Cincinnati to just do all of that or to just CALL ME BACK. Frustrating as I'm willing to pay to get it done, just having trouble finding some place to do the down pipe, exhaust and retune the EFI live.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode