Final Opinions Before Biting the Bullet! - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 2011 to 2016 LML Duramax Trucks No Advertising

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Final Opinions Before Biting the Bullet!

Good evening, it's a pleasure to no longer just be lurking! I finally got myself into a 2016 LML Denali 3500, SRW, B&W gooseneck hitch, 35k miles. Traded in a 2015 Denali 2500 gas job.

I have always wanted a diesel, and figured the time is now with all the EPA crackdowns. I have already done a few minor mods, but am ready to go ahead with the performance mods.

I work in software so it will not be worked too hard. I pull a 29' Yellowfin and my wife/daughters' horse trailer occasionally, but nothing the gas truck couldn't handle. I plan on running an eco tune or maybe just a light tune, and set it to stock whenever I tow to prevent things from grenading. I picked the LML because I did not want to deal with the ECM TCM hassle deleting an L5P.

These are the parts I am planning on ordering: 4" MBRP straight exhaust ($390), Kory Willis Tuning (~$1200?), AFE CAI ($265), EGR Blocker Plates ($20), Fleece PCV Blocker ($50), Air Dog 100GPH Lift Pump ($600).

Am I missing out on anything? After searching the forum I figured I don't need the 150GPH lift pump for the little work I will be doing. Do I really need a lift pump at all for a light tune? Do the prices I am looking at look in line with what I should be paying? New to diesels. I am going to roll the dice on the CP4 exploding. I don't think it's a huge issue.

Plan on doing everything myself on my own time. I'm mechanically inclined, truck is not a daily, and there's nothing more satisfying than a few beers working in the yard or garage and not getting yelled at

Steve

2016 Denali 3500 SRW 4x4. B&W Flip Goose Hitch, Amp Steps, Leveled, 35"s, LED Headlights/Fogs, WeatherGuard Box, 5% Tint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 06:41 PM

Sounds like a good plan to me, I just bought a 2015.5 2500HD Denali LML last week myself. I'll be doing the 4" MBRP straight exhaust, PPEI tuning, S&B CAI and probably just a FASS 95 as I don't plan on racing the truck, I mostly want reliability. Down the road I'll do a full EGR delete, PCV reroute, 3" downpipe and probably a CP3 conversion as the thought of my CP4 grenading terrifies me lol.

2015.5 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali LML Duramax
2007.5 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CCSB LMM Duramax - Triple Black (SOLD)
2008 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3 CCSB AFM Deleted - Olympic White (SOLD)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerobytez View Post
Sounds like a good plan to me, I just bought a 2015.5 2500HD Denali LML last week myself. I'll be doing the 4" MBRP straight exhaust, PPEI tuning, S&B CAI and probably just a FASS 95 as I don't plan on racing the truck, I mostly want reliability. Down the road I'll do a full EGR delete, PCV reroute, 3" downpipe and probably a CP3 conversion as the thought of my CP4 grenading terrifies me lol.
Congratulations! GM hit the nail on the head with these 14-19 Denali trucks. I don't think they'll ever top it. I've purchased lots of GM vehicles from my dealership (Hendrick, very large dealer), I asked my friend there and he said honestly (after papers were signed) probably 1 in every 75 LMLs they service end up having the pump fail. I think because it's online, no one is here to talk about how good something is. When was the last time you saw somebody on Home Depot review how awesome their dishwasher has been? But if one breaks they'll post up a s**tstorm. Maybe I'm just desensitized because my kids and wife all drive Land Rover products and they always need a ride in my truck. You guys can laugh at me if it blows up, I'll take my chances.

2016 Denali 3500 SRW 4x4. B&W Flip Goose Hitch, Amp Steps, Leveled, 35"s, LED Headlights/Fogs, WeatherGuard Box, 5% Tint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 03:37 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

You will find that Kory is no longer doing tunes (Crackdown by EPA).

Also, if you plan on doing much towing you will regret the straight exhaust as the drone will make you nuts.

09 GMC SLT Dually
Steel Gray Metallic
All options except sunroof

Mods so far:

Alcoa 19.5s with Michelin XZE, Centramatics,Tow Mirrors, Chrome Grill Overlay, Rear underseat storage, Mudflaps all corners, 20% Window tint, 6" Oval Steps, B&W Turnover Hitch, B&W Companion Hitch, Sulastics, GM Campaign #PIT3009J, Wireless Console Charging, Bilstein 5100s, Raptor 3602RL
DF DRW Club Member #161
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyD View Post

Also, if you plan on doing much towing you will regret the straight exhaust as the drone will make you nuts.
I didn't know that about Kory......too bad.

Im also not a fan of the straight pipe because of the drone. That drone was evident even when not towing. Wife and I had to shout to have a conversation while driving on any highway.

Id suggest a CAT back exhaust, NO drone and your exhaust will not stink. The CAT does not significantly restrict the flow anyway, there is really no downside to keeping it.

Also not a fan of MBRP. My truck had an MBRP 4" with muffler when I bought it 18 months ago. I had to add an FTE 30" resonator to get rid of the drone. 2 years after it was installed the muffler broke in two internally, had to buy a new muffler. There is a reason why MBRP is cheaper than some others.

Also, before you spend money deleting and tuning Id suggest a bit of money spent establishing a baseline for all things mechanical for a regular maintenance program to keep it health for a long time. This thread will help you with that and more:

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/m...ew-owners.html

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, MBRP Downpipe back 4" exhaust with muffler and FTE 30" resonator/muffler, Sinister EGR Delete, Tuned but wont say who did it, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.

Last edited by 407driver; 08-25-2019 at 08:58 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyD View Post

Back to the drawing board. Had heard nothing but great things about him, guess I was late to the bandwagon. Any other suggestions? I would prefer a custom tune like his rather than something canned like an H&S. If you can't post it, I would greatly appreciate a PM. I may just get Carolina Diesel Trucks to figure it out for me, they are local. As far as drone goes, I am starting to think it would be a nuisance when towing. Maybe it will stop the kids from hitting each other in the backseat and make them cover their ears instead. We'll see how it goes. Worst case scenario I'll have a like new exhaust discounted for sale on this forum for the next guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 407driver View Post
I didn't know that about Kory......too bad.

Also not a fan of MBRP. My truck had an MBRP 4" with muffler when I bought it 18 months ago. I had to add an FTE 30" resonator to get rid of the drone. 2 years after it was installed the muffler broke in two internally, had to buy a new muffler. There is a reason why MBRP is cheaper than some others.
Thanks for the feedback. Have you heard of P1 Race Parts? Our local CDT diesel shop stocks them. They are actually cheaper than MBRP but I have heard both the muffler and non-muffler setup in person and they both seem very good. I always thought MBRP was a good tier brand. As far as maintenance goes, I had just about everything on the list done immediately after purchase, it is good to go! New tires, brakes, and all new fluids on everything were part of our deal.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 10:05 AM

Ive heard VERY god things about Kennedy Diesel's tunes. John is a straight u[ guy, give him a call and tell him what you want in a tune.

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, MBRP Downpipe back 4" exhaust with muffler and FTE 30" resonator/muffler, Sinister EGR Delete, Tuned but wont say who did it, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 10:12 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Not a bad habit to get into....

Quote:
If you can't post it, I would greatly appreciate a PM.
Yeah, it's not like eppa doesn't monitor Forum talk, looking for the next prey.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all, I have decided to change some things. I'm not going to get the cold air intake, will get trans tunes as well as the standard engine tunes, and will probably get an air dog II lift pump instead of a I. Figured the $270 for the intake was better spent on trans tunes and the lift pump. Going to do a down pipe back exhaust 4" with muffler.

I'll see how I like it and get the CAI if I really think it's necessary. I don't think it will be. Probably will run the truck at the 30HP eco tune 95% of the time, and the 100HP tune on days when I'm having a midlife crisis. Found a shop that is throwing me a "very cheap" package deal, 2 day shipping and out of state so no tax. Shoot me a PM if you want to know more.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in