Fleece In-tank lift pump - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 2011 to 2016 LML Duramax Trucks No Advertising

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Fleece In-tank lift pump

Has anybody here bought/installed the new Fleece in tank lift pump? I'm ready to buy a lift pump for my 2013 w/cp3 conversion and while I know the Fass and Airdog pumps are tried and true, the idea of a drop in OEM look unit is enticing. I don't really love the idea of a sump on the bottom of the tank and quite honestly don't love the look of a lift pump mounted just below the bedside. I also understand that you don't get any extra filtration or water separation, but i'd still like to know if anybody has any experience with this new Fleece product?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 11:36 AM

I have a friend who swears by them. I personally like the flow through design of the FASS or Airdog units in case you lose the motor or blow a fuse. Consider this, the LML will throw a low pressure code if you are on it with the the fuse pulled on a fass or airdog but will still run. I don't believe that the same is true for the in tank units. If i a wrong someone please correct me. Also, the new mounts that come with the fass tuck the pump bu so you cant see the filter at all now. Especially with the new filters they use.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 12:02 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Quote:
the idea of a drop in OEM look unit is enticing.
The idea of having to drop the tank....repulsing.

Small JK pump with an added aux filter head, tucks up higher on the frame....flow thru, runs forever, and a fraction of the $$.

Although, problems can develop with the stock in-tank fuel module, requiring a tank drop. So,....

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em_Horns! View Post
The idea of having to drop the tank....repulsing.

Small JK pump with an added aux filter head, tucks up higher on the frame....flow thru, runs forever, and a fraction of the $$.

Although, problems can develop with the stock in-tank fuel module, requiring a tank drop. So,....
I can see your point, however in all honesty I will most likely pay a shop to install the pump regardless of the route I go. I could be wrong but considering the fleece unit is $699-$729 and I believe the fass titanium series is right around the same price, by the time you buy a sump kit+labor on the fass, even if the fleece pump requires double in labor for either dropping the tank or lifting the bed off the frame, I feel like you'd be roughly the same cost. The fleece also has 2 pumps built in so I feel like the chances of them both failing simultaneously is pretty low unless there is a power/ground/connector issue. I have heard of the Kennedy pumps, but I haven't done enough research on them to have a true and honest opinion. What is appealing to me about the fleece pump other than the stealthy look is that, according to Fleece, it eliminates the fuel aeration and 1/4 tank issues without the need for an external sump. Now are those problems really as common as people make it out to be? maybe not, and maybe the Kennedy pump doesn't aerate fuel as bad as a Fass for example. I know whatever I buy will probably do what I need it to do, but I like to get some feedback before I spend the money.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 02:23 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
The aeration of fuel comes from the massive amount of returned fuel dumped back in the tank continuously, from their design.

Even the smallest 95gph LP is 10x+ what is possible for your truck to burn under the most extreme circumstances.
All of that unused fuel is dumped back in the tank.

While the Diesel we fill from the pump is aerated in the flow, filling a somewhat translucent yellow Diesel can, you can see how quickly the air dissipates at the top.

Point being, after your tank is filled, there is no air left in the fuel. The supply pickup is at the bottom, again avoiding any type of aeration at the tank top.

The sump is a fix for a problem created by the pump design itself, IMO.

A simple small LP added to the mix, delivers the volume needed, at the low psi the CP wants.
A JK deluxe kit (there are other options), 'bout 1/2 the $$.
Add a $30 filter head for an added aux FWS filter.

While your stock filter is designed as a FWS filter, it is most efficient at removing water, being pulled thru the filter. Which your stock CP does.

Adding a single LP to the mix, should also include an aux FWS filter before the pump, keeping a draw/pull thru it as the stock filter does without a LP.

I feel that the in-tank pump, would be counterproductive to removing water from the fuel. Any water in the fuel that the pump picks up, is then emulsified as it's pushed forward to the stock fuel filter, making it difficult to remove the water.

If my rambling on makes any sense...
You've dumped the CP4, and want to clean up your fuel and prolong your investment with the CP3 conversion. Positive pressure, FWS, and a quality fine particulate secondary filter.
That covers all the bases.
LMLLover likes this.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"

Last edited by Hook'em_Horns!; 08-27-2019 at 02:25 PM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 03:04 PM

You can install the Air Dog unit under the truck in front of the fuel tank where it can't be seen unlike other models in front of the rear tire. You also don't have to install a sump with the unit. They say a sump makes the unit run quieter and helps with the 1/4 tank issue. Personally my air dog is so damn quiet without a sump that i have to stick my head out with the door open with the key on to make sure its running and well for the 1/4 tank issue... don't let it get that low.
GMC-GDM likes this.

2016 LML Denali 2500
Mcgaughy's 2" drop shackle
Bilstein 5100
22x10 American Force Flux black w machined or Toyos on OEM wheels. Depends on the day of the week
Wehrli S300 kit w/ 66mm SXE
Wehrli CP3 conversion 10mm stroker
Profab Manifold & Up-pipes
Stock Trans For Now
Stock Sticks For Now
Air Dog 165 4G
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 03:29 PM

Zach. If you haven't you can read more about the FLEECE in tank pump in this thread. I researched this unit a good bit myself. I know of some people running it with no issues since it came on the market a few months ago.

I personally agree with HOOK and some others that the in tank lift pump is probably not helping the water separation of the stock fuel filter. However I suppose the 2017 and Up DENSO fuel system is maybe very similar in pushing the fuel thru the filter too..

I do not run this setup myself.

Good luck in your choice.

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/1...lift-pump.html

2011 Stock
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 04:12 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by denarli6.6 View Post
You can install the Air Dog unit under the truck in front of the fuel tank where it can't be seen unlike other models in front of the rear tire. You also don't have to install a sump with the unit. They say a sump makes the unit run quieter and helps with the 1/4 tank issue. Personally my air dog is so damn quiet without a sump that i have to stick my head out with the door open with the key on to make sure its running and well for the 1/4 tank issue... don't let it get that low.
Spot on @denarli6.6. The AirDog can be mounted up high enough so it isn't seen from the side of the truck. Huge pet peeve of mine when I see lift pump filters hanging past the bottom of the truck. The 2 AirDogs that I've had didn't have sumps and I never had issues with them being noisy or having 1/4 tank pickup issues. I know both trucks were ran under 1/4 tank on a couple occasions as well.

I was actually looking at the Fleece LPs as well, but I think I'm going to stick with an AirDog on this truck since I've had two previously and never had an issue with either one. Debating on which model AD now but from the looks of it a guy can get by with a 100GPH with no issues.
GMC-GDM likes this.

Casey
2016 Denali 3500HD - Starting from scratch.
Drop shackles. 285/75R18 RTs on Factory Wheels.

2018 Silverado 2500HD - Sold
2015 Silverado 2500HD - Sold
2012 Silverado 2500HD - Sold
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach_LML View Post
I can see your point, however in all honesty I will most likely pay a shop to install the pump regardless of the route I go. I could be wrong but considering the fleece unit is $699-$729 and I believe the fass titanium series is right around the same price, by the time you buy a sump kit+labor on the fass, even if the fleece pump requires double in labor for either dropping the tank or lifting the bed off the frame, I feel like you'd be roughly the same cost. The fleece also has 2 pumps built in so I feel like the chances of them both failing simultaneously is pretty low unless there is a power/ground/connector issue. I have heard of the Kennedy pumps, but I haven't done enough research on them to have a true and honest opinion. What is appealing to me about the fleece pump other than the stealthy look is that, according to Fleece, it eliminates the fuel aeration and 1/4 tank issues without the need for an external sump. Now are those problems really as common as people make it out to be? maybe not, and maybe the Kennedy pump doesn't aerate fuel as bad as a Fass for example. I know whatever I buy will probably do what I need it to do, but I like to get some feedback before I spend the money.
As far as aeration, I made a dumb move in starting the install of my AirDog, thought I had the fuel feed line disconnected from the tank and gave it a little tug. SNAP. Broke off the factory feed fitting off the fuel module. Installed a Bean Sump instead, then made a copper tube similar to the original feed tube and ran it all the way to the bottom of the tank, sealed it in and made it my return instead of the fuel fill neck. Return fuel now shouldn't aerate since it is returning to the bottom of the tank. Just an idea. If the AirDog ever quits working, I just switch lines and the engine pump will suck from the original location.

2016 LML White Denali HD 2500 leveled
SODA Novocain Wheels
Amp Steps
Air Dog 100
Bean Sump
Bilstein 5100
Bushwacker color matched
Ridge Grapplers
Putco Bed Rails
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 11:44 AM

I've installed more of the Kennedy lift pumps then I can count and I wouldn't touch anything else. I'm installing one of his twins right now on a LMM. They are sooooo simple and are silent. You won't see them either. They absolutely will not aerate the fuel. They are an inline pump with no return hose to aerate the fuel.

Turning wrenches 5 days a week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode