Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Good mechanic or shop in Calgary

9K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  instamek 
#1 ·
:help

Hey guys. Camping season is coming fast and my 03 Sierra 2500 is our trailer puller. Unfortunately she needs some major attention before we start the season. The guy I bought the truck from put a 6 inch lift on and didnt do anything else to accommodate it like lengthen the drive shaft etc. It is a high km truck and is starting to wear out some components.

I am hearing good and bad things about several of the major shops in town and wanted to see who has had work done on their duramax and what their experiences were before I choose one. I have had work done at CMP (they totally gouged me on injectors and pressure regulator ) and Airdrie GMC did the same with some smaller parts. I am thinking Modern motors or Pats and the Gear Centre for the following:

Transfer case and shift motor replacement
New front end: idler, pitman (with braces), tie rod ends, and front axle ujoints
Possibly rear axle repair (shes getting a little noisy and looks like the original owner never changed the oil)

So can anyone recommend a good honest shop and tell me what your experiences were? Good bad and ugly.......it is going to be expensive and I dont want to get ripped off anymore. We have a young family and the huge expenses are tough to take, especially when you know the stealerships are waiting to gouge you.

I got Drive Products in SE Calgary to build me a new drive shaft and they were excellent.Excellent service and decent price. Too bad they dont handle the stuff I need done. I highly recommend them if you need a new drive shaft though.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not from there, but North American Diesel Performance is a great shop, I buy stuff from there ! They are very helpful and willing to help. Hope this helps you !

#3 ·
For what you will pay a shop to do these mods. Go buy the tools you will need and do it your self. You can find all the info on how to do this on this sight. You will save money and have tools pay for them self.

#4 ·
umm i know that GT diesel is a decent shop, they work a little more so with dodge trucks but they're okay

#5 ·
Did you get the work done? It's kinda late now, but I can help you out.

#6 ·
Have you got a shop in Airdrie?

#7 ·
Highland Auto in Airdrie has never dealt me wrong with people I have sent to them; and they work with NADP and BD so they are used to diesels. I could probably help you out but am booked till August myself.

#8 ·
Erol's automotive in cochrane. I am personal friends with the owner. He is one of the most stand up guys I know. I have sent many a friend to him and all have been happy. He is a diesel guy too.

#9 ·
Erol's boys fixed my '04 Chev gasser, though he ribbed me a bit about the 'Badge on the front' being the problem :drink. I think he's a Ford guy.

#10 ·
..also a bit late in replying...but I;m with this guy:
Go buy the tools you will need and do it your self..
im no mechanic..but my truck has not seen the inside of any of those robber barons in 4 years. 339,565km to date. Changed Water pump, cpl of CV joints, 3 bearings to date, whole new front end..congito UCA, PPE tie rod sleeves, Bilsteins on all 4 corners, (Oh..I did get a guy to do the pitman/idler arm replacement and add the braces)..but for pretty much everything else..DIY.

At $ 139.00 an hour, I can purchase some pretty good tools....especially if its a water pump.! GM wants 8.3 hrs on that...I can see why too, What a beotch to change out.

cheers

stk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.