Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum - View Single Post - DIY _ thermostat Replacement
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
premis
DuramaxForum Veteran

DIY _ thermostat Replacement

Here is a DIY for replacing thermostats. This was done on an LLY truck, but I would imagine it is the same or similar across all platforms.

The thermostats are both located near the front center of the engine in between the alternator and AC compressor. Note, I removed my turbo noise suppressor, if you haven't you will need to remove that before starting. If you haven't already, drain a little bit of coolant (maybe 1 gallon). There is a drain valve on the bottom of the radiator on the passenger side. REMOVE THE SURGE TANK CAP FIRST to remove pressure from the system, then replace surge tank cap and remove drain plug. This will allow somewhat of an air-lock so the coolant will drip out instead of spray.

1. Remove the turbo noise suppressor bracket and the wires held to it.

2. Remove the 12mm bolt holding the black coolant pipe to the thermostat housing

3. Remove the four 12mm bolts in the thermostat housing.

4. Now we need to loosen the black coolant pipe so we have some play in it. First remove the 12mm bolt holding the black coolant pipe to the drivers side head.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (63.0 KB, 2837 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (59.4 KB, 2791 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (63.9 KB, 2795 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (65.4 KB, 2790 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (68.4 KB, 2794 views)

2005 Black Duramax Crew Cab Short Box
Edge Juice w/Attitude - 4" straight pipe (shaved the muff and killed the kitty) with 5" tip - Blocked EGR - triple guage pod (Aux Fuel, Air Bags, Boost) - air bags w/compressor and 2 gallon air tank - train horn - tint (5 back/15 front) - custom grill - pace roll-top cover - 28 gallon aux fuel tank (gravity feed) - Pioneer AVIC-D3 in dash DVD/GPS/Bluetooth unit with XM Nav Traffic - metra on-star adaptor - PAC SWI-PS steering wheel remote interface - 2 10" MTX subs with Rockford amp - head rest monitors - passenger visor monitor - viper remote start - 07 mirrors (w/ DIY leveling) - DIY pre-OEM Cat fuel filter - boost stick - AEM Brute Force CAI - 20" black spoke KMC wheels mounted with 305x50x20's ----SOLD-----

Now I drive a 2015 Chevy 1500 Z71 LTZ with the 6.2....for now.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome