Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum - View Single Post - DIY _ thermostat Replacement
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
premis
DuramaxForum Veteran

5. accessing the 2nd bolt on the coolant pipe is a PITA. First, unplug the two large engine electrical plugs. Then use a torx bit (I think a T-20) to remove the lower plug from the metal mount. Next LOOSEN but DO NOT REMOVE the bolt that is under the intercooler tube near the firewall that holds the electrical connectors to the head (see picture below)

6. Now remove the two remaining bolts holding the electrical connector bracket down.

7. With those two removed and the third loose you should be able to wiggle the bracket out of the way enought to loosen the 2nd bolt holding the coolant pipe to the head.

8. Now gently wiggle the thermostat cover loose, you may need to give it a light tap with a RUBBER hammer. I decided not to unattach the black coolant pipe from the thermostat housing, I was able to work around it. You can if you want, it's your choice. Once the thermostat housing is removed you will be able to see the thermostats.

9. Take the two old thermostats out and be sure to clean out all of the old rubber gaskets on the thermostats.

10. Install the new thermostats (the longer one in the front) and reinstall. Make sure the drain holes on the thermostat are to the rear of the truck.

Remove the bleeder screw on top of the thermostat housing (circled in picture).

Add coolant to the coolant tank on the passenger side between the air box and battery. Mine took about 3/4 of a gallon.

When full, coolant will come out of bleeder screw, when this happens, replace bleeder screw and top off tank to appropriate level.

Hope that helps! It's a pretty easy task, only takes about 1 1/2 beers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (80.4 KB, 2672 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (69.3 KB, 2656 views)
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (61.1 KB, 2644 views)
File Type: jpg 9.jpg (57.6 KB, 2641 views)
File Type: jpg 11.jpg (63.8 KB, 2642 views)

2005 Black Duramax Crew Cab Short Box
Edge Juice w/Attitude - 4" straight pipe (shaved the muff and killed the kitty) with 5" tip - Blocked EGR - triple guage pod (Aux Fuel, Air Bags, Boost) - air bags w/compressor and 2 gallon air tank - train horn - tint (5 back/15 front) - custom grill - pace roll-top cover - 28 gallon aux fuel tank (gravity feed) - Pioneer AVIC-D3 in dash DVD/GPS/Bluetooth unit with XM Nav Traffic - metra on-star adaptor - PAC SWI-PS steering wheel remote interface - 2 10" MTX subs with Rockford amp - head rest monitors - passenger visor monitor - viper remote start - 07 mirrors (w/ DIY leveling) - DIY pre-OEM Cat fuel filter - boost stick - AEM Brute Force CAI - 20" black spoke KMC wheels mounted with 305x50x20's ----SOLD-----

Now I drive a 2015 Chevy 1500 Z71 LTZ with the 6.2....for now.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome