Hydroboost??? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2001 - 2007 (GMT800) Non Powertrain Discussion of 01 to 07.5 Topics Not related to the Powertrain, interior, suspensions, body,wheels, tires, ect.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Timeless Perfection!

Hydroboost???

ok so my hydroboost puked out...is there any maintence on this? or just hold on for the ride until it lets go? How much am I looking at for a fix? It's an 05 but it is the last truck I'll be able to buy in this market.

Matt
2005 Chevy 3500 4x4 SLT Crew Cab, L O N G BED! Leather, Integrated DVD Player,"you know, for the kids!" Banks CAI, PPE ECON stage 2 Installed by BigRedChevy; MBRP 4" SS. Dead CAT Kept the MUFF, Modded turbo mouthpiece
RESONATOR PLUG,EGR Blocker Plate Putco Boss Barz Fat Mud Flaps
" Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.- Ben Franklin... Wake up AMERICA!"

:blowup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 09:33 AM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo0107 View Post
ok so my hydroboost puked out...is there any maintence on this? or just hold on for the ride until it lets go? How much am I looking at for a fix? It's an 05 but it is the last truck I'll be able to buy in this market.
Im sure there is a rebuild kit for it somewhere, but most ive seen just replace them when they fail. The repair is not too difficult, theres some bolts you need to get to from inside the cab that ive been told are the worst part. Removing the lines and such under the hood is not bad at all. I would avoid any products that are designed to prolong its life though, that fluid also goes through your steering pump and steering gear, so any magic goop, if you were debating it, would also go through those working parts as well. It looks like you can pick up a new at least to you hydroboost on amazon for under 300, its listed as an ACDelco.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML

Last edited by J83; 09-23-2019 at 09:35 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 10:01 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo0107 View Post
It can be replaced easily enough. Most people do not recommend rebuilding them or even a reman unit because there is such a high failure rate for rebuilds.

A new one for newer trucks are still available, but it is necessary to ream out the end of the input shaft so there is some slop where it and the brake light switch attach to the brake pedal. Otherwise your brake lights and cruise control may give you trouble.

I happen to have a new unit for a 2012 that I will sell if you are interested. PM me if you are.

Most also recommend changing the hoses for the HB and power steering while you are at in the older trucks to eliminate future problems

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 10:05 AM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 407driver View Post
It can be replaced easily enough. Most people do not recommend rebuilding them or even a reman unit because there is such a high failure rate for rebuilds.

A new one for newer trucks are still available, but it is necessary to ream out the end of the input shaft so there is some slop where it and the brake light switch attach to the brake pedal. Otherwise your brake lights and cruise control may give you trouble.

I happen to have a new unit for a 2012 that I will sell if you are interested. PM me if you are.

Most also recommend changing the hoses for the HB and power steering while you are at in the older trucks to eliminate future problems

^^ yea, not a bad idea at all, those hoses are maybe 30 bucks or so each, its a good time to change them out. At that point the pump is also pretty easy to do and might be worth considering if its never been done before.
407driver likes this.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J83 View Post
^^ yea, not a bad idea at all, those hoses are maybe 30 bucks or so each, its a good time to change them out. At that point the pump is also pretty easy to do and might be worth considering if its never been done before.
A man after my own heart, solve a problem before it becomes a PROBLEM! It will also give him an opportunity to look at the Serpentine Belt and change that if needs be.

Recommend an AC Delco pump, New not reman, there too.

Hook em Horns has a very good thread on changing that pump as well.

FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.

Last edited by 407driver; 09-23-2019 at 10:10 AM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 10:17 AM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
A man after my own heart, solve a problem before it becomes a PROBLEM! It will also give him an opportunity to look at the Serpentine Belt and change that if needs be.

Recommend an AC Delco pump, New not reman, there too.

Hook em Horns has a very good thread on changing that pump as well.

Not gonna lie, even with his thread it was a pain in the butt, but there was also 10+ years of dried oil crud around all the bolts so that didnt help. It was beyond time for me to change it on my truck. Dont be me, change it before it gets to be that bad. It should normally be a pretty straight forward repair once the belt and lines are off.

If you do go and decide to replace that pump, you dont need a fancy pulley puller, the 12$ Ford GM one from your preferred flavor of auto parts store works just fine. Also, you should NOT replace the pulley, the aftermarkets are significantly inferior to the OEM pulley. If the pulley is for some reason worn out (which it should not be) get one off a used truck at a junk yard or something, the aftermarket have a tendency to either walk off the shaft, or crack.

Puller should look more or less like this.

Last edited by J83; 09-23-2019 at 10:23 AM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J83 View Post
Not gonna lie, even with his thread it was a pain in the butt, but there was also 10+ years of dried oil crud around all the bolts so that didnt help. It was beyond time for me to change it on my truck. Dont be me, change it before it gets to be that bad. It should normally be a pretty straight forward repair once the belt and lines are off.

If you do go and decide to replace that pump, you dont need a fancy pulley puller, the 12$ Ford GM one from your preferred flavor of auto parts store works just fine. Also, you should NOT replace the pulley, the aftermarkets are significantly inferior to the OEM pulley. If the pulley is for some reason worn out (which it should not be) get one off a used truck at a junk yard or something, the aftermarket have a tendency to either walk off the shaft, or crack.

Puller should look more or less like this.

Most auto parts stores here will loan you the puller for free.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 11:12 AM

If you don't rebuild your current one, buy a new 2011 LML hydroboost. Cheaper and they should work better than the previous model years.

2004 LB7
S&S SAC00 Injectors
AirDog II-4G 100
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 11:51 AM

I just replaced mine on my 2005 with a new 2011. Only took a couple hours and I was pissed that it took that long. Some knothead was trying to put the brake switch on backwards. Way better pedal and should have done it sooner!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 03:24 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Most auto parts stores here will loan you the puller for free.
True, theres some guys on here though that spec a special GM puller for our trucks and say that NOTHING else works so i wanted to make sure we are all on the same page that the cheapo puller available at every auto parts store everywhere works just fine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode