What brand for suspension parts? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2001 - 2007 (GMT800) Non Powertrain Discussion of 01 to 07.5 Topics Not related to the Powertrain, interior, suspensions, body,wheels, tires, ect.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By mray
  • 1 Post By mray
  • 1 Post By HWI

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

What brand for suspension parts?

I have a 2002 GMC Sierra 2500hd duramax with Major steering issues. Not even six months ago I put a redhead steering gearbox and all new Ac-Delco steering parts and upper control arms on the truck. I have put maybe 10,000 miles on these parts and they are all shot, the front passenger side upper ball joint is on the verge of snapping off it has so much slack in it so I hardly use the truck. The truck is leveled with 33s on 20s.

I haul about 130 loads of hay a year each load weighing around 14,000lbs. Whenever I am hauling I run with stock rims and tires. I have looked through numerous threads and have not found a good answer on what brand parts too use. I do not want top of the line but I want the parts to at least last a couple years, this is the third time I have changed them. I am looking at the moog problem solver parts but any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 08:45 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

PSC steering box, mevotech ball joints, Rare parts steering components.
HWI likes this.

2001 2500HD 4WD EXTENDED CAB LS,
S&B CAI, 4" STAINLESS STEEL EXHAUST, EFI LIVE FROM ATP TRUCKS, EDGE CTS, PPE BOOST VALVE, BANKS INTERCOOLER PIPE, AIR DOG II 165, REBUILT TRANNY WITH SUNCOAST KIT, TRANSGO SHIFTKIT AND BILLIT TORQUE CONVERTER, NEW UPGRADED TAILSHAFT, PUMP RUB FIX ON TRANSFER WITH NEW ALUMINUM TAIL SHAFT, NEW TOW MIRRORS, NEW GAGE HEAVY DUTY FRONT AND REAR BUMPERS, BEANS SUMP, FUMOTO VALVE, RARE PARTS TIE RODS WITH COGNITO PISK, MAD JACK FUEL FILTER ACCESS DOOR, STAINLESS STEEL SPEED BLEEDERS.
2011 GMC 3500HD DUALLY Welding Bed, 4WD CREW CAB, 4" downpipe back exhaust, def delete, egr delete, with new LB7 up pipe, pcv reroute, Fass 150, EFI live with DSP 5, HSP CAI. Air Lift Air bags. PPEI transmission tune.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 08:49 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Ive used moog on alot of these and had good luck with them. If your cv angles are terrible that will wear them out faster.

2012 QCSB/Built 6.8L Cummins/48RE/Gated shifter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 08:58 AM

I've wore moog parts out hand over fist some with only a thousand miles on them and most parts stores only will replace them once.

S&B CAI, 4" STAINLESS STEEL EXHAUST, EFI LIVE FROM ATP TRUCKS, EDGE CTS, PPE BOOST VALVE, BANKS INTERCOOLER PIPE, AIR DOG II 165, REBUILT TRANNY WITH SUNCOAST KIT, TRANSGO SHIFTKIT AND BILLIT TORQUE CONVERTER, NEW UPGRADED TAILSHAFT, PUMP RUB FIX ON TRANSFER WITH NEW ALUMINUM TAIL SHAFT, NEW TOW MIRRORS, NEW GAGE HEAVY DUTY FRONT AND REAR BUMPERS, BEANS SUMP, FUMOTO VALVE, RARE PARTS TIE RODS WITH COGNITO PISK, MAD JACK FUEL FILTER ACCESS DOOR, STAINLESS STEEL SPEED BLEEDERS.
2011 GMC 3500HD DUALLY Welding Bed, 4WD CREW CAB, 4" downpipe back exhaust, def delete, egr delete, with new LB7 up pipe, pcv reroute, Fass 150, EFI live with DSP 5, HSP CAI. Air Lift Air bags. PPEI transmission tune.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 11:07 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Damn ive always had good luck with their stuff. I did moog stuff on my lml and it held up for 45k miles of HARD abuse. I had kryptonite tie rods but thats it.

2012 QCSB/Built 6.8L Cummins/48RE/Gated shifter
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 11:27 AM
HWI

Have not had good luck with Moog ball joints, idler, or pitman arm, did not last long even with flat angles. Running Mevotech ball joints now and they seem to be holding up much better. My gear box just started leaking and I am going to go with PSC, I believe it is the only new steering gear box made for our trucks, the rest are just rebuilds. When I switch to a PSC gear box I will have to change out the pitman because they are 4 spline, plan to go with Kryptonite or Rare Parts pitman and idler. Running sleeved Moog tie rods right now, when they wear out I am going with DMax Store tie rods, can't beat the price for the features on those.

06 LBZ CCSB
With some stuff.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWI View Post
Have not had good luck with Moog ball joints, idler, or pitman arm, did not last long even with flat angles. Running Mevotech ball joints now and they seem to be holding up much better. My gear box just started leaking and I am going to go with PSC, I believe it is the only new steering gear box made for our trucks, the rest are just rebuilds. When I switch to a PSC gear box I will have to change out the pitman because they are 4 spline, plan to go with Kryptonite or Rare Parts pitman and idler. Running sleeved Moog tie rods right now, when they wear out I am going with DMax Store tie rods, can't beat the price for the features on those.
Check out XDP they are a vendor on here and have the best price on the PSC box with free shipping, I went ahead and got the 4 spline Pittman from them also $150 for the PSC brand and believe me it is heavy duty. The research I did said that you have to spread the steering shaft pretty wide and bend the power steering line (the one closest to the engine on the box) a little to get it to thread in and I had to do both but all in all wasn't bad. The line that needs to be bent very slightly threads into an adapter that is threaded in to the PSC box and is aluminum as is the line and it's easy to get cross threaded so I took out the adapter and threaded it on to the line and left it loose and then threaded them into the box this seemed to help a lot. I didn't spread the steering column shaft before I bolted up the box but when I pulled the one bolt that's up towards the hydroboost the shaft came right out and I was able to spread it easily off the truck. Also some said that they had to shorten the three mounting bolts, I didn't but could see what they were talking about after installation, the bolts touch the cast iron on the box where the end sticks through the threads on the box. Some say their box wouldn't tighten up, mine did but I can see where they bottom out. I'ts no a big deal to grind the end of the mounting bolt as they are tapered on the end and you don't need to damage any part of the threads. Just thought that I might pass this along. I believe that the PSC pittman is the same as the rare parts one.
HWI likes this.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 01:22 PM
HWI

mray, thanks for the info. I will be replacing the steering shaft at the same time, mine has a nice solid clunk to it along with the bearing, it's a noisy affair in my steering column right now.
I am pretty sure you are correct about that PSC pitman arm, I believe it is just a rebranded Rare Parts pitman.
mray likes this.

06 LBZ CCSB
With some stuff.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses. Does anyone know if the Moog problem solver upper control arms are the same as the moog severe duty control arms that dmaxstore.com sells? I have looked at the Kryptonite uppers and have decided that is more money than I want to put into those parts. Does anyone run moog for steering parts and how many miles do you get out of them? I was planning on putting the tie rod sleeves on them and I already have the cognitio pitman and idler arm braces to hopefully make them last longer.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 06:50 AM

I put a Delco rebuilt steering box on my truck about a year ago. So far, so good. (rock auto) I used Moog for everything else and at 406k miles I can truly say it drives like a new truck. Most of those part have about 80k miles on them but some (idler and pitman) only have about 15k.

2002 Chevy 2500HD Crew - Original owner - 404,000 miles so far. All stock with the exception of a lift pump and Donaldson filter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode