What controls what?! - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2001 - 2007 (GMT800) Non Powertrain Discussion of 01 to 07.5 Topics Not related to the Powertrain, interior, suspensions, body,wheels, tires, ect.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Well thanks for all the replies, it appears as though now the heater controls just do whatever they want. It can idle in the driveway and be nice and toasty then in 10 mins just change on it’s own to cold. Sitting still it can even decide to randomly give me defrost and the buttons don’t make a huge difference. I have been somewhat successful when it is set at 90 degrees and it goes cold to turn my dial down to 60 degrees. I wait for about 15 seconds and the cold air turns hot set at 60. It stays hot for a few seconds then goes cold so I turn it back to 90 deg and it gets warm again. I can do this cycle every 15 mins or so and it gets me where I’m going warm most of the time. I feel like it’s time for a new control board BUT regarding the fuse box under the hood...yeah I’ve had to evict a mouse or two. It’s covered in mice poop, chewed nuts and grains, and is corroded. I’m sure those little boogers chewed something but don’t know that it would be related to the climate control as much as it would be related to the random starts in the run position on the ignition. 🤦‍♂️

2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CCSB 4x4
LB7 w/ about 213k mi
Edge Juice w/attitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 08:12 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
After install, did you pull the power, wait, then power back and start up for the reset procedure (not touching the controls, just a start to reset, kill it, then start again before adjusting the controls.

I know you mentioned 1st trying the reset, but did you try again, after the new actuator install?

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 03:37 AM Thread Starter

Yes I went through the recalibration process twice. It doesn’t cycle through the whole thing during that process either (at least I don’t feel it blow through every duct or see it changing on the screen like I thought I would during the recalibration process).

LB7 w/ about 213k mi
Edge Juice w/attitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 07:46 AM

I have changed one other thing - interior air temp sensor. Little round grill on ceiling above your left shoulder when sitting in drivers seat. I used to feel like both ac and heat used to go way past temp I had set - then I started hearing buzzing from behind little grill. There is a little fan in there that blows air over a thermistor (think that's what it is). Changed it and was fine. Maybe something else to check on.

2016 Denali

2005 CC Sierra - 366k and strong, Son's ride now (but I'm not signing over title just yet)
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 11:45 AM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeMs View Post
Well thanks for all the replies, it appears as though now the heater controls just do whatever they want. It can idle in the driveway and be nice and toasty then in 10 mins just change on itís own to cold. Sitting still it can even decide to randomly give me defrost and the buttons donít make a huge difference. I have been somewhat successful when it is set at 90 degrees and it goes cold to turn my dial down to 60 degrees. I wait for about 15 seconds and the cold air turns hot set at 60. It stays hot for a few seconds then goes cold so I turn it back to 90 deg and it gets warm again. I can do this cycle every 15 mins or so and it gets me where Iím going warm most of the time. I feel like itís time for a new control board BUT regarding the fuse box under the hood...yeah Iíve had to evict a mouse or two. Itís covered in mice poop, chewed nuts and grains, and is corroded. Iím sure those little boogers chewed something but donít know that it would be related to the climate control as much as it would be related to the random starts in the run position on the ignition. 🤦‍♂️

if you have known rodent damage and corrosion in the fuse box, this should be addressed before continuing to troubleshoot the truck. The fusebox feeds power to the whole truck, if it is compromised, it will be difficult to tell what issues are caused by the fuse box and what issues are caused by something else. I think your key start issue is 100% the fuse box though, and the fact that you have enough exposed wire to make that connection happen means there is likely significant damage to the wiring under the fuses. If nothing else, its a fire waiting to happen. animal nests full of fluff make good kindling for sparks.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Will check that out also thanks. I pulled the climate control board and took it apart. Didn’t see anything burned or that looked out of place except the very corner of the glass readout which was burned inside. There’s something there that is underneath maybe that got hot but otherwise looked fine to me. Electronics....🙄🙄

LB7 w/ about 213k mi
Edge Juice w/attitude
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Ok update, I removed the climate control module and took it all apart. Cleaned some of the contacts, blew it out just for kicks and put it back in. It works just like it should is and has for two straight days (knock on wood). So this might be solved now. I will look into the fuse box now since it’s been home to a rodent or two. Any special substance you use to rid the corrosion safely?

LB7 w/ about 213k mi
Edge Juice w/attitude
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 06:56 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Pee-B-Gone?

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 06:32 AM

A baking soda solution will neutralize acid - used it when my battery leaked. Disconnect both batteries first! Let dry thoroughly before reconnecting.

2016 Denali

2005 CC Sierra - 366k and strong, Son's ride now (but I'm not signing over title just yet)
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Where can I get this “pee-be-gone” stuff? 😂. Thanks guys. I appreciate all the help. With the high price and DEF systems on these newer trucks being an issue, I need to hold onto this one.

LB7 w/ about 213k mi
Edge Juice w/attitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode