heater/AC control and fan not working after starting on one battery - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2001 - 2007 (GMT800) Non Powertrain Discussion of 01 to 07.5 Topics Not related to the Powertrain, interior, suspensions, body,wheels, tires, ect.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

heater/AC control and fan not working after starting on one battery

I had a leak in my windshield squirter hose somewhere under the drivers side battery. I pulled the battery to find the leak. I repaired the leak and started the truck on one battery. No problems at that time. I replaced the battery.
This was yesterday. This morning on the way in to work I was feeling heat blowing instead of outside air. I tried moving the heat control and nothing changed then I tried the fan control and the fan is not working either. I cannot tell if the light behind the control is on or not.
Could starting on one battery cause a fuse to blow or fry a wire somewhere?
I have not had time to check the fuses yet as I am at work.
Looking for your opinions.
It is an '05 dmax.
Thanks

2005 quad cab short box 4x4, DIY CAI,
S&B MP, PCV reroute, ARP studs, race plug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkms002 View Post
I had a leak in my windshield squirter hose somewhere under the drivers side battery. I pulled the battery to find the leak. I repaired the leak and started the truck on one battery. No problems at that time. I replaced the battery.

This was yesterday. This morning on the way in to work I was feeling heat blowing instead of outside air. I tried moving the heat control and nothing changed then I tried the fan control and the fan is not working either. I cannot tell if the light behind the control is on or not.

Could starting on one battery cause a fuse to blow or fry a wire somewhere?

I have not had time to check the fuses yet as I am at work.

Looking for your opinions.

It is an '05 dmax.

Thanks

Fan control not working can be associated with the resistor used to control fan speed in the blower. Its located up above passengers feet as well as the blower. I replaced mine awhile ago it was like 90$ for the damn thing. Believe i had to remove the blower fan to get at it. Was fairly easy i think i did it all in the auto parts parking lot with a couple of basic tools. I do remember it affecting the way my AC worked somewhat. Plenty of youtube videos on the resistor replacement though

-head studs and gaskets
-66mm (stupid loud)
-5” straight pipe axle dumped
-shimmed
-full s&b intake and mouthpiece
-dans diesel 800 HP built trans with biller stator
-dans built trans tunes
-glowshift EGT, boost(not working because i broke it), fuel pressure(have not found a sender to work for it help please), edge cts2
-PPE sleeves
-fuel lab 100 gph lift pump
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb.broege View Post
Fan control not working can be associated with the resistor used to control fan speed in the blower. Its located up above passengers feet as well as the blower. I replaced mine awhile ago it was like 90$ for the damn thing. Believe i had to remove the blower fan to get at it. Was fairly easy i think i did it all in the auto parts parking lot with a couple of basic tools. I do remember it affecting the way my AC worked somewhat. Plenty of youtube videos on the resistor replacement though

-head studs and gaskets
-66mm (stupid loud)
-shimmed
-dans built trans tunes
-glowshift EGT, boost(not working because i broke it), fuel pressure(have not found a sender to work for it help please), edge cts2
-PPE sleeves
Thanks but I dont think that is it as I replaced that and the connector(ground wire was melted) not long ago and the heat/AC selector is not changing the incoming air temp. Always sending HOT air.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Thanks but I dont think that is it as I replaced that and the connector(ground wire was melted) not long ago and the heat/AC selector is not changing the incoming air temp. Always sending HOT air.

Oh then you’re probably right if you already did it. It was just a hunch

-head studs and gaskets
-66mm (stupid loud)
-shimmed
-dans built trans tunes
-PPE sleeves
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 09:35 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Check all of your fuses. There are two 'climate control system' fuses in the instrument panel fuse block (side of dash), and there's the BLWR fuse in the underhood fuse block.

Might also try to do a blend door reset.

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/2...l#post11408386

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em_Horns! View Post
Check all of your fuses. There are two 'climate control system' fuses in the instrument panel fuse block (side of dash), and there's the BLWR fuse in the underhood fuse block.

Might also try to do a blend door reset.

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/2...l#post11408386
I looked at the HTR A/C fuse and the HVAC 1 fuse and they are good. The BLOWER looks to be a circuit breaker. I dont have a way to test that right now. Is there a way to do it with an ohm meter?
I found another problem. I have no head lights either. Tail lights, directionals, emer flashers and backup lights are good but no head lights either high or lo beam. The yellow indicator lights are on in front. Cant tell about brake lights.
So, for the moment all I can find that is not working is the blower, the headlights and the heat/cool air selectors for both passenger and driver side. I cannot tell for sure but I don't think the light that is behind the temp sliders is on either.
Why would starting the engine on one battery cause all these issues?
GRRRRR

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I looked at the HTR A/C fuse and the HVAC 1 fuse and they are good. The BLOWER looks to be a circuit breaker. I dont have a way to test that right now. Is there a way to do it with an ohm meter?
I found another problem. I have no head lights either. Tail lights, directionals, emer flashers and backup lights are good but no head lights either high or lo beam. The yellow indicator lights are on in front. Cant tell about brake lights.
So, for the moment all I can find that is not working is the blower, the headlights and the heat/cool air selectors for both passenger and driver side. I cannot tell for sure but I don't think the light that is behind the temp sliders is on either.
Why would starting the engine on one battery cause all these issues?
GRRRRR
Oh and I did check the 4 head light fuses. THey appear to be good.

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

I just realized this. The ONLY lights that are on at the front are the parking lamps. NO DRL or head lamps.

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

OK I just realized that the DRL's only work when it is in drive. They are working when the truck is in drive but headlights(hi and lo) are not working no matter where the selector switch or the transmission is.

Thinking about disconnecting both batteries to reset the system. Does that make any sense?

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 11:45 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Low voltage can do some screwy things to the different modules.
Reset as I suggested, wouldn't hurt.

Also for future reference, in checking the DRLs, select 'N' instead of 'D', the park brake doesn't always hold....don't get ran over. 'Auto' function test, cover the light sensor on the dash.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode