Is this the updated oil cooler? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2001 - 2007 (GMT800) Non Powertrain Discussion of 01 to 07.5 Topics Not related to the Powertrain, interior, suspensions, body,wheels, tires, ect.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Is this the updated oil cooler?

Sorry for the lengthy back story. I ha e some questions about this oil cooler. I've disassembled my LB7 after finding significant amount of coolant in my oil. Injectors where in bad shape, knew I had a small exhaust leak and simply wanted more power. I suspected a head gasket and removed the cylinder heads. It turns out my head gaskets were probably fine but had 2 injector cups leaking on cylinders #6 & #8. The heads have been resurfaced and Ready to be reinstalled with fresh Mahle gaskets, still awaiting the arrival of my ARP stud kit. I decided I'd like to be more thorough and suspected other issues based on previous troubles.

I suspected a issue with my oil cooler for nearly 2 years. Somebody made a real mess of it at some point with gasket sealant all over it. My oil cooler has leaked oil externally in the past and I just retightened the nut and took the easy way out hoping the issue was fixed. Not really knowing what the nut did outside of it being a oil cooler nut that went onto a stud. Well now I know it seals the staked plate oil cooler inside a coolant reservoir. And while I had fair warning it leaked out out the whole the stud went through tightening it wasn't really a fix. That nut kept coming loose and leaking oil all over my front Differantial. I eventually cleaned it with carb cleaner and used Loctite when I retightened it. Though I knew I could have a bigger problem, time passes.
I removed the oil cooler and jury rigged a old aquarium full of water to pressure test it. With some plexiglass bolted to the flanges, 1 cheap oil filter and some air compressor fittings. It failed my pressure test. Today I Disassembled the oil cooler. I found fresh bright green coolant inside the stacked plate oil cooler just inside the seal. Coolant that has not yet mixed with the oil. I figure this can only happen when the truck sits because oil pressure would have washed oil the other direction.
I had no metal shavings on the oil or my old oil filter. I dont see any proof of metal shavings at all. So theoretically I can reseal and reinstall this oil cooler. The rebuild kit has a seal that Is meant to lay in a groove on the cover. Though the previous person the fiddled with this oil cooler didnt use any seal at all just a RTV sealant (Gray or Black). There is a grove in the cover for the rubber seal that came with the rebuild kit. So I assume this is the updated oil cooler but Dont know for sure. Which leads me to my question: Is this oil cooler is the updated version? Or the original LB7 oil cooler?

2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD W/ LB7 duramax w/Allison trans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

I few pics
Attached Images

2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD W/ LB7 duramax w/Allison trans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode