Success: OEM Power Folding Tow Mirrors on a 2012 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2007.5 + (GMT 900) Non Powertrain--New Body Style-- Discussion 07.5 - 2010 Topics Not related to the Powertrain, interior, suspensions, body, wheels, tires, ect.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 01:55 AM Thread Starter

Success: OEM Power Folding Tow Mirrors on a 2012

3/31/19 Folding Mirror Update:

I've had more requests than I expected for the 3d printed parts. I decided to upload the .stl files to thingiverse and make them available for others to print. I'm also willing to print these parts and ship them to you for $150. Please read the writeup below carefully though and understand that you will need access to a mill (manual bridgeport type is fine) and drill some holes in your door panel.The holes are entirely covered by the mirror and not visible whatsoever. The parts will also require some amount of finish work (bondo, sanding and paint).

The .stl files can be found here. Each housing is 4 pieces that need to be glued together. I did this so that it can be printed on most desktop FDM printers and to minimize support material requirements. I've also included the milling fixtures that hold the die cast parts at the correct angle so you can face them down. There is also a drill jig that can be used to locate the new holes off of the existing holes.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3529719

Creating these models did take a significant amount of effort and time. I do request that if you download these files you consider sending me a tip so I can continue to fund these types of projects.
I think $50 is reasonable but will leave that to your discretion.
I am accepting donations here: https://www.paypal.me/sormaz

Also please be aware that I am making this data available only for personal use. Please do not try to resell my work.

Original post:

Well I've finally done it. After having some chinesium "new style" manual fold tow mirrors on my truck for over a year, I got fed up with the bad chrome fading and not having the coolest feature the fancy new trucks have, the power fold.

I now have what has been referred to as "the holy grail". Fully functional OEM power folding tow mirrors, with power +memory tilt (reverse function works also), heat, turn, clearance lights, puddle lamp etc.

Thought this was cool enough to share. There is a possibility I'd over this as a service for folks, but it is quite a bit of work so I'm not sure I'd want to take that on, and cost would be pretty high. Maybe willing to offer a DIY kit of sorts - will gauge interest in the near future.

Here are the steps required to retrofit OEM powerfolding tow mirrors onto a GMT 900 truck:

1. Create new plastic truck-side housings
  2. Modify mirror mount bracket
  3. Drill new hole pattern in doorpanel
  4. Invert up/down mirror tilt motor direction
  5. Repin connectors
  6. Install and Flash DL3 powerfold window switch modules (these exist for the "small" power folding mirrors that were available for our trucks)

Step 1 is probably the most prohibitive. All aftermarket retrofit options utilize a GMT900 style mounting bracket (the part that physically bolts to the truck) which is a lot smaller than the bracket that houses the fold mirror. This means that there is no readily available plastic cover that fits the motor housing, and also matches the door profile of our trucks. Luckily I was able to acquire cad models for both style housings, got them drunk and made a baby.
I printed the housing on my buddies 3d printer, smoothed with bondo and abrasives, then applied a texture coating and paint to match the look of the injection molded part. (this is the time consuming bit)

I was pretty satisfied with the result. This picture shows the OEM 2015+ housing (right) the OEM 2012 housing off my truck (middle) and their love child (left).

Step 2 is to hack up the beautiful die cast motor housing to make it fit your truck. This is not really a reversible process, and the only way I know to get these is to buy an expensive mirror assembly, so you are committed at this point. First order of business is to use the bandsaw to lop off the front corner of the housing, or if you are like me and just too excited about how well your freshly replaced blade is cutting at 2am, you pay no attention as you cut off the top corner, throw a couple things, go home, come back and JB weld the sucker together.
Again I made use of the 3d printer to make a milling fixture that holds the housing at the correct angle. Machine down a significant amount of the ribs, locate and re-drill and tap the remaining 3 stud mounts for a 12-24 thread.

Step 3 is fairly straightforward, I didn't take any pics (will next time I take the mirror off), but created a template to locate the new holes off the existing holes and drilled them through. One of them is pretty close to an existing hole so it becomes a snowman, but not overly concerned about it as it is the lowest hole and primarily loaded in compression.

Step 4 was a nice surprise, I installed the mirror to find that the up/down tilt actuation was reversed. This wouldn't be too big of a deal, but with the memory function enabled on the mirrors, this causes it to drive all the way to the down position every time i unlock the truck, which is not super useful. So again the mirror gets disassembled, motor removed, cut out the integrated wires for the up/down motor and soldered on new jumper wires to cross them over. Luckily these motors are available individually (p/n 22919754) for about $50 if you screw it up.

Step 5 was actually pretty straightforward. I left my diagram at the shop but will upload it when I remember. Thankfully the new mirrors use the same connector family so the pins are actually the same. Most pins map over to connector J3, but I also had to buy p/n 15127040 which is J7 on the diagram. J7 gets the power fold pins, as well as the tilt position sensor pins. All of this info is available in the electrical manuals available online. The harness ends up a little short to reach the window switch, but with some massaging you can get it there.

Step 6, finally you are going to need to install p/n 20835553 which is the window switch assembly with power fold buttons for option DL3. I couldn't find a reasonably priced bezel with the brushed aluminum finish, so I just spent some time with a dremel adding the additional button cutouts, which actually turned out really well. On the left is my stock window switch, and the right is the DL3 window switch with the power fold buttons. I don't have a before picture of the bezel, but you can imagine I only had to trim back the top of the black part that interfered with the new buttons.

And that's it, job done. Click 2nd pic for video:

I'm about 50% through with the passenger side mirror, will update if there are any surprises on that side. Haven't gotten to step 4 yet, kind of interested to see if it has the same issue. I suspect either both l/r and u/d will be inverted or both will be correct, as it appears to be the same motor mounted at a 90deg angle.

I'm also working on something else pretty cool - will post a separate thread soon. I have a prototype power extending actuator built that should be compatible with both OEM and aftermarket versions of this style mirror and add some pretty sweet functionality if you are like me and forget to pull your mirrors out every time you hook up a trailer and have to pull over at the gas station before the on-ramp to do so. teaser here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BpTld85nxEB/
jdwarren and KazMan like this.

2012 LML CCSB LTZ Z71
EGR/DPF/DEF delete, MBRP DP, 5" AFE DP back, EFI Live (PPEI), FASS 150, Beans sump, Custom York OBA/horns, Custom retrax pro/weatherguard toolbox combo, Cognito UCAs, CTS2

M.I.A. You are not forgotten:
2004.5 LLY CCSB LS, 135K, EFI Live, Leveled, 35's on H2s, Custom York Onboard air and horns

Last edited by Sormaz; 03-31-2019 at 07:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 03:37 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

That is pretty cool. When you get the passenger side finished, it would be nice if you added pics of the switches on the inside located in your modified bezel.

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 05:31 AM

This is really cool, and thank you for taking the time to post and give detailed information.

The good news is that boost auto (I know, they are aftermarket) is making a power folding set for the GMT900. I am told it will work with the factory wiring. Stay tuned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NortheastDenali View Post
This is really cool, and thank you for taking the time to post and give detailed information.

The good news is that boost auto (I know, they are aftermarket) is making a power folding set for the GMT900. I am told it will work with the factory wiring. Stay tuned.
Now if they can only make them power extend as well.............That would be SWEET!!

FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I added some pics of the switches and bezel..not the best since I don't have the before picture but this wasn't a big modification required. Also added a video of the folding action at the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 407driver View Post
Now if they can only make them power extend as well.............That would be SWEET!!
I plan to offer a kit for the power extend. This is a lot easier to add on than power fold, and should work for any of the aftermarket mirrors as well. Should have an update on those in about 2 weeks.
AreliusChev3500 likes this.

2012 LML CCSB LTZ Z71
EGR/DPF/DEF delete, MBRP DP, 5" AFE DP back, EFI Live (PPEI), FASS 150, Beans sump, Custom York OBA/horns, Custom retrax pro/weatherguard toolbox combo, Cognito UCAs, CTS2

2004.5 LLY CCSB LS, 135K, EFI Live, Leveled, 35's on H2s, Custom York Onboard air and horns
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sormaz View Post
I plan to offer a kit for the power extend. This is a lot easier to add on than power fold, and should work for any of the aftermarket mirrors as well. Should have an update on those in about 2 weeks.
Im very interested in seeing the kit, My wife would love that I think.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Passenger side is done. Feels good, now my truck isn't winking every time I press the fold button.

No real surprises on that side. The tilt control is the same as the drivers side (only up/down needs to be inverted).

I should also note that the passenger window switch does not need to be replaced, but does need to be reprogrammed for the DL3 option to enable to fold output. It receives the fold/unfold command over the low speed lan bus, so no wires need to be run across the truck to do it this way.

2012 LML CCSB LTZ Z71

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 08:57 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

That is really cool but damn! You musta wanted those power folding mirrors BAD! LOL

Awesome work and yeah, I know that sometimes it's just something you talk yourself into and becomes a challenge and thus "fun" work.

2002 Chevy 2500HD Crew - Original owner - 408,000 miles so far. All stock with the exception of a lift pump.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 03:54 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

hats off to you sir, that is one hell of a mod you did there.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 07:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NortheastDenali View Post

Just checked the Boost site and they're not power folding!! Maybe you could provide a kit to turn those into power folding and extending. I'd pay for that in a heart beat!!

2012 GMC 3500HD Denali CCLB DRW to SRW conversion!! Cognito 7-9" Lift de-cranked to 6", Cognito UCA's, CST Dual Shock kit Front, Fox Performance Reservoir shocks all four corners. American Force Justice 22X10 with Nitto Trail Grappler LT325/55R22. Sulastic Rear Shackles, MagHytec Rear Differential Cover. Curt Turnover Ball, Recon Smoked Cab LED Lights. BD Throttle Booster, AirDogII 165. What else? It's a fully loaded DenaliHD, no need to add!! I kid, there's always something to add. Full delete to come!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode