Headlights - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2011-2016 (Non Powertrain) Discussion of 2011-2016 topics not related to powertrain

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Headlights

What LED bulbs is everyone using? Have you had any issues? I’m wanting to switch from HID kits to just a LED bulb for simplicity. I think brightness is about them same from what I’ve seen. Thanks for the input.
Sierraluva likes this.

2013 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD c/c swb 4x4
LML Duramax, Fass 150, Flo Pro 4" w/ muffler,
Motor Ops

2010 Ford F250 6.4L-SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 12:05 PM
Duramax Forum Supporter

Garage
JDM ASTAR from amazon. 50-60$ and very nice.

🤘 Kennedy fuel system support hardware, CCM front Diff Drop, some LEDs to make night into day, got some big ol 20's and wide ass tires and a nice display to show me what's up under the hood-

2012GMC2500CCSB
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 08:45 AM

I switched to Lasfit LEDs for both low and high beams. The problem I have is that the high beams don’t project. They’re bright as hell up close, but do nothing down the road. They are the blade type and for the high beams they can be turned 90 degrees for “more precision” lighting. I started with the blades straight up and down like the low beams then I tried with the blades turned horizontal and still the same, bright up close, but still dark down the road. My silverstars projected down the road better, but they weren’t as bright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD LTZ Crewcab Duramax/Allison
DPF Delete, MotorOps Tuning, Corsa Muffler
5000K HID Light Kit, Fass 150 Lift Pump
305/55/20 Cooper Zeon LTZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 08:59 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

I had some cheap Allah ones from amazon that were super bright and running on 8 months of no issues. Had them in my fogs too

2012 QCSB/Built 6.8L Cummins/48RE/Gated shifter
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 05:29 PM

Check out these guys where they put bulbs in actual housings and test them so you know what you are getting before you buy.

https://www.youtube.com/user/HeadlightRevolution

2006 Express 3500 Ext. 4" Turbo Back Exhaust, bye bye kitty and ruffler. EFI Live. Custom made air intake with dry Aem filter. TDK bumper.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 05:53 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by millman02 View Post
What LED bulbs is everyone using? Have you had any issues? I’m wanting to switch from HID kits to just a LED bulb for simplicity. I think brightness is about them same from what I’ve seen. Thanks for the input.

I get mine from amazon, find one that has a few thousand reviews (there are many) with the a high rating and get that, i havent been let down yet. I usually shoot for the 34-50$ range on the set.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 11:08 PM

Location: we live in a high mountain valley in the hi country of northern arizona
HEADLIGHT ISSUES ?

Damn...just when I thought I'd corrected everything on my rolling "do-it-yourself" kit.....now I have to worry about headlight failure ?

Can you guys help me out and tell me at approx. what age & mileage you guys incurred failure that resulted in your having to change headlight bulbs?

Is this still another example of GM reducing the quality of its products ?

The headlights my truck came with when I bought it appear to be orig., best as I am able to determine the bulbs have not been touched.

On long trips way way out in the boonies, they SEEM pretty damn bright....and I try and remember to turn them off during the day.

From what you guys are telling me, sounds like I'd better carry some spare bulbs with me?

Damn..in the old days, the "sealed beams" seemed to last forever-I don't recall feeling the need to carry spares then.

Is this progress....? Yes, what my truck came with are much much brighter than the sealed beams of my youth.....………….but reliability? Progress ?

2013 3500 long bed crew cab. Purchased at approx. 80,000; now have 91,000, convert to CP3. DPF "triggerd" a limp mode, so was cut out of the vehicle & cleaned by a DPF cleaning co., on re-installation, everything back to normal. Would never ever think of something as nasty and as anti bunny wabbet as a full-delete...after all..dosnt everyone like the fun & excitement of being stuck by the side of a Interstate in the ran while towing when one's truck's computer decides to go into "limp mode"...?.

Last edited by 6686L; 10-24-2019 at 11:12 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 12:29 AM

OPT7 gets my vote for inexpensive LED bulbs.

2016 LML Denali 2500
Reverse level with Mcgaughy's 2" drop shackle
Bilstein 5100 all-around
22x10 American Force Flux black w machined
Wehrli S300 kit w/ 66mm SXE
Wehrli CP3 conversion 10mm stroker
Profab Manifold & Up-pipes
Stock Trans For Now
Stock Sticks For Now
Air Dog 165 4G
Off-road Only
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 04:55 AM
Duramax Forum Supporter

Garage
What got me searching for alternatives on my ‘12 was the halogens (even upgraded Silverstar Ultras) would burn out every 6 months, they are a pain to replace. Since I went to JDM Astar over 2 years ago I have had no issues.

🤘 Kennedy fuel system support hardware, CCM front Diff Drop, some LEDs to make night into day, got some big ol 20's and wide ass tires and a nice display to show me what's up under the hood-

2012GMC2500CCSB
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 05:05 PM

I bought my 2012 new have 78k on it and have only had to replace 1 headlight bulb so far maybe I have just been lucky I keep them in the auto position all the time and we have a daytime running light law here I agree it is a real pain to replace a bulb on these trucks

2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 2wd Crew Cab. Stock. 200 mile regen club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode