Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Dual Batteries - How does it work?

16K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  J83 
#1 ·
I purchased my DMax in the summer. Now that winter is here, I was wondering about how the two batteries work? Are they simply interconnected or is one used for certain loads and the other for other functions? If I want to park the truck for several weeks, do I need 2 float chargers?

I guess I should pick up a "Haynes" for the electrical diagrams...

#2 ·
Wired in parallel, they're two halves of one large battery. Not two singles with different uses.

One float hooked to either will work, or a cig light/aux port plug-in with a solar panel to lay on the dash (if parked outside).

#5 ·
#9 ·
#6 ·
#8 ·
#10 ·
There's logic in the ecm to keep the starter from engaging when the engine is running.

#15 ·
Reduce battery draw while in storage or in staging areas.

#17 ·
I would get out of the truck, close the door and not worry the batteries for even a month of sitting.
My spare 04 1500 (Old and Busted) sits for months at a time with an Interstate blem battery in it. Usually starts no problem. My 48 hp John Deere sits outside for months in the winter without running and starts fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.