Roof Marker Lights - Page 8 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2011-2016 (Non Powertrain) Discussion of 2011-2016 topics not related to powertrain

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 144 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 07:42 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSF-GA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by weircc View Post
did the harness plug right in or have to be spliced? any pictures?
I used the factory 2015 OEM cab light harness. I had to take it apart because it had radio and OnStar antenna wires and a wire trough as part of the harness that my truck already had. Obviously factory installed cab lights share the same harness and trough. The factory connection was plug n' play for the lights and there was an empty slot in the existing pillar wire trough.

See the top plug (blue) in the passenger side fuse box ...

[iurl="https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=568794&d=1420312633"][/iurl]

can you explain and or show what parts you removed from the wiring harness and do you have pictures of the wiring connectors and connectors on the lights?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 144 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 03:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayyy21 View Post
can you explain and or show what parts you removed from the wiring harness and do you have pictures of the wiring connectors and connectors on the lights?
I did not take any photos of the actual connectors, although, if you look at the other photos I posted in this thread, you can see the pigtail on the lights. Looking at the harness photo I posted, I removed all the wires that were not part of the actual fuse box connector and removed the wire trough from the harness. This way I could insert this harness into the existing wire trough in my pillar. It was all plug and play. As long as you are working with a 2015 with 2015 roof marker lights, I see no reason why the install would not be the same ... this is all different than the 2014 and earlier HD's.

Onyx Black 2015 Chevrolet 2500HD DCSB, 6.6 Duramax/Allison, LTZ Plus Pack/Z71, Tilt/Telescoping Wheel, Bucket Seats/Console, Dual Alt's, High Idle Switch, H&C Seats, Nav, Bose, WiFi Hub, 397bhp/765t
Merlot Sunglo 2011 Harley Davidson Street Glide FLHX, FM 107" & a whole lotta other cool shit, 115rwhp/124rwt
Black Raven 2015 Cadillac Escalade, Premium Package, 420bhp/460t (Wife's Ride)
White & Black 2016 Work & Play Ultra 25ULA Toy Hauler
post #73 of 144 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 07:30 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

I just had the factory GM roof marker lights installed on my truck by the dealership and they used a thick foam looking gasket between the light and the roof. I washed the truck last night for the first time since having them installed and the center light leaked - did you use this type of foam gasket or did you just use RTV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 144 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 08:22 PM

Garage
Anyone know where I can get a clear template for this install?

2020 High Country HD...stock AF

Instagram: M4RC0_TXN
post #75 of 144 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 11:04 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmm137 View Post
I just had the factory GM roof marker lights installed on my truck by the dealership and they used a thick foam looking gasket between the light and the roof. I washed the truck last night for the first time since having them installed and the center light leaked - did you use this type of foam gasket or did you just use RTV?
The gasket was actually part of the marker light itself and, yes, it was foam. Maybe the installer did not tighten your lights down enough ... they have a pronged washer that expands when they are tightened. I tightened them down enough to draw the base of the light against the roof and stopped. I did not want to break the light. The base of the light fit very tightly into the holes I made so, even if the gasket leaked, I don't think the water would find its way into the cab. You may want to try to wiggle you center light. They should be tight with no movement at all.

Onyx Black 2015 Chevrolet 2500HD DCSB, 6.6 Duramax/Allison, LTZ Plus Pack/Z71, Tilt/Telescoping Wheel, Bucket Seats/Console, Dual Alt's, High Idle Switch, H&C Seats, Nav, Bose, WiFi Hub, 397bhp/765t
Merlot Sunglo 2011 Harley Davidson Street Glide FLHX, FM 107" & a whole lotta other cool shit, 115rwhp/124rwt
post #76 of 144 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 01:26 PM

My 2003 has the factory markers installed does anyone know where I can get new lenses at a decent price. Mine are hazed bad.

2003 Silverado 3500 Crew Cab LB 2wd Dually
Mods: EFI Live from PPEI, 4" Exhaust, Exhaust Brake, Throttle Up Lift Pump, PPE Turbo Boost Valve and CTS2 with EGT Probe.

2014 Primetime Crusader 325res 5th Wheel
post #77 of 144 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmm137 View Post
Come on a dealer doing this work. After installing they should have squirted some sealant from the inside before installing the headliner back in place. Foam ages being in sunlight and weather. Even if you tighten it down what about when it ages, will it leak again.
post #78 of 144 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 07:49 AM

subscribed

2014 Silverado 2500HD LT 2WD
post #79 of 144 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 11:13 AM
Duramax Forum Supporter

Think I'm going to tackle this of the Christmas brake anyone do it recently and have any more hints or tips? My truck is built after Aug 14 2015 does that matter?

Now: 08 Chev CCSB Leveled, DPF & EGR Delete, EFI Lve Kory, Banks intake, 3" Downpipe, 4" Exhaust W/Muffler, CTS2

Sold: 2011 LML Denali CCSB, 4" Flo-Pro w/Muffler, EFI Live!
post #80 of 144 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 11:30 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo View Post
Think I'm going to tackle this of the Christmas brake anyone do it recently and have any more hints or tips? My truck is built after Aug 14 2015 does that matter?
Tips, yes, review this post carefully, go very slow, have a interior trim removal kit, measure many times and place the lights on the roof and stand back and look several times before you cut.

Look at pictures of trucks equipped with roof marker lights and study where they are and how they face. The only light that faces directly forward is the center light.

For the square holes, be sure you have square files that are new and sharp and drill holes and work the files from the top.

Oh, if you have perforated seats, be sure you cover them or you will never get the metal shavings out. It's best to spread a sheet over the entire interior and use eye protection. You do not want shavings in your eyes because you will spend some time looking up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode