Michelin LTX AT2 or BFG AllTerrain TA KO2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2011-2016 (Non Powertrain) Discussion of 2011-2016 topics not related to powertrain

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Michelin LTX AT2 or BFG AllTerrain TA KO2

I did the tire upgrade as far as factory options go when the truck was ordered to the Michlein LTX AT2 but am considering a switch to the BFG's. I currently use BFG All Terrain TA KO's on my 1500, and I do really like them. Up here in Canada we have all the terrain a guy could ever want. I have never been stuck without the truck getting hung up, no fault of the tires. I do not abuse my vehicles, but still use the truck for hunting fishing and trapping as well as my daily driver to work. I have read that the updated KO2 is even better than its original. I really appreciate the 3ply sidewalls that the BFG's have as I drive northern gravel roads.

My question is with this being my first Duramax, will the truck wear the BFG's out faster than the Michelins because of the weight of the truck? I do not want to have to put new tires on every 40000kms.

I have heard that the LTX AT2's are a good tire but can I have confidence using them in the same situations as my BFG's. Example, there is about a foot of snow on the ice right now, will the LTX's get me to where I need to go if I drive on the ice as we normally do? Also, are the LTX's a good towing tire (fifth wheel)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 06:34 PM

I don't know about the LTX's so I cant say how they perform but I have run the BFG a/t on plenty of diesel trucks and have nothing but good to say about them, they perform well in summer and winter and when driven properly we had a set on an f-350 last over 90,000kms.
I live in alberta and I think with the upgrades to the new Ko2 it should be a great tire.

2006, 4" Rancho lift, 20" Lawless wheels, 35" Toyo's, Afe intake, Diablo predator
2012 lml Denali- stock
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 06:35 PM

I loved the KOs on every OTHER truck I've had

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

GMC 4.5 lly ext cab SLT
EFI live ATP,
4" magnaflow catback, magnaflow down pipe, pcv reroute,nicktane filter adapter, Fuel race valve,duramax tuner LBZ induction kit, BD High flow manifold,SDP full EGR delete w/ LB7 up pipe
Rareparts G2 tierods, rare parts pitman, ultimate idler arm, supersteer idler pivot, cognito UCAs leveled with 315/70/17's, Monomax shocks, energy suspension; body mounts, tranny mount and control arm bushings, and yes it rides like a brick
Cen Pe Co diesel max fuel additive,Cen Pe Co Para/syn oil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 06:43 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Love my Michelins, nothing else rides like them !

2006 2500HD Duramax LBZ with Allison 6 Speed Allison
Transgo Jr/Deep Pan/Filter Lock
PullRite SuperGlide 5th Wheel
Merchant Auto Pump Rub Fix
HD Stainless TieRod Sleeves
GM 3rd Gen. Tranny Lines
MBRP DownPipe
Bilstein 5100's
AirDog 165
Transgo Jr.
MBRP 4''
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 06:46 PM

Bfg or Toyo AT2.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 06:22 PM

Some reason my truck doesn't like the BFGs, I've tried 3 sets, and a set of tread wrights ( same casing and tread) not much more than 20k miles out of them.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

GMC 4.5 lly ext cab SLT
EFI live ATP,
4" magnaflow catback, magnaflow down pipe, pcv reroute,nicktane filter adapter, Fuel race valve,duramax tuner LBZ induction kit, BD High flow manifold,SDP full EGR delete w/ LB7 up pipe
Rareparts G2 tierods, rare parts pitman, ultimate idler arm, supersteer idler pivot, cognito UCAs leveled with 315/70/17's, Monomax shocks, energy suspension; body mounts, tranny mount and control arm bushings, and yes it rides like a brick
Cen Pe Co diesel max fuel additive,Cen Pe Co Para/syn oil
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 07:07 PM

I ran my stock Michelins for about 4K miles before swapping out to the trusty BFGs. The Michelins are a highway tire and not good in snow. If you want more traction, go with the BFGs, there's a big difference getting around in the snow!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 07:32 PM

The Michelin LTX A/2 is a great tire! They've lasted me being a teenager and putting them through the test in the past 4 years (many many burnouts) and still have 1/4 tread left!

Caleb "Toxic Shock",
2002 LB7,187k miles. EFI by Punisher Performance, 5" exhaust, PPE BIV. Kryptonite XD Tie Rods, PPE Straight Center Link, Homemade Traction Bars, Auto Meter Cobalt's. FASS 95, Suncoast Gmax5 in a box waiting for me to install, Just trying to get by on a budget-
DD 2001 VW Jetta TDI 5spd 190k miles
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 06:34 AM

Replaced my worn out factory ltx two weeks ago with ko2's. They seen to be better than the old ko's. A little quieter and good in the wet. Have had quite a few sets of the old ko's.

2012 CCSB White. Deleted. H&S. Catback 4" Flo-Pro. LT275/65/18 All Terrains K/O II's
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 10:32 AM

My Vote.....

Name:  20140828_172938.jpg
Views: 22989
Size:  80.2 KB

2014 GMC 2500HD 4x4 RCLB SLE
LML / Allison
EFILive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode