HID headlights - Page 9 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2011-2016 (Non Powertrain) Discussion of 2011-2016 topics not related to powertrain

26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 09:24 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Garage
I'll get em out and snap a couple pictures... And we'll get em over to ya...

2017 GMC 3500 DRW/CCLB

--2015 GMC 3500 SRW/CCLB--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 12:19 PM
DuramaxForum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.M. View Post
I'll get em out and snap a couple pictures... And we'll get em over to ya...
Haha I can even return you some when I'm finished.
Planning to retrofit projectors into them.

2015 CC/LB DRW 3500HD LML LTZ Blk/Blk #284 Stock for now ~ on the hunt for 19.5s.
2012 CC/SB 2500HD LML LTZ Blk/Blk PPEI tuned & deleted ~Traded~

post #83 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDavis1992 View Post
Interesting concept. That would be great to get the light down and to the side. And keep it out of on coming traffic. That's the only complaint i have with the HIDs in the fog Lamps.

2015 High Country. Drive train - BONE STOCK!! (For now - don't tell the wife!!!). CTS 2 - Insight

HIDs - Low beam / Fog lights, Led highs. LoPro-QT Truxedo tonneau cover.

Torque Lift Stable Loads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Any interest in getting rid of your stock fog lights?
You thinking projector retrofit?
post #85 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Haha this answered my other reply.

The Sierra housings fit the Matchbox projectors quite nicely, the MH1's require far more work and modding the mounting points most likely.
post #86 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.M. View Post
Are the Chevy and GMC interchangeable? I know they're the same size, but not sure if the mounting points are the same... You can have mine if they are...
The Silverado HD and the GMC HD fogs are the same housings. They are also the same as the Ford 4"
TDavis1992 and M.A.M. like this.
post #87 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 04:01 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen23 View Post
I have PNP HID's in my highs and lows with the XB LED fog lights already and I think the light output is fantastic to the point where my lightbars don't hardly do anything distance wise but they do spread more light to the ditches. I was entertaining the thought of trying the Morimoto FX-Rs. Just wanted to look at pricing and whatnot for now.
If you don't notice much difference between your light bar and headlights, then you already have your first problem. I've tried a lot. Not much I haven't tried.

2006 gmc sierra:

Stock headlights: bad
Stock headlights with silverstar/piaa: looked brighter, but went through bulbs like crazy, cost a small fortune
Stock headlights with 5000k lows 35w ballast and 6000k highs 55w ballasts fog lights 3000k 35w ballasts: no real difference between highs and lows, delay was atrocious, fog lights were less then useless in bad weather...I gave up using them completely
Stock denali projector headlights: halogens were slightly better then stock sierra lights
Stock denali projectors with 6000k low beam on 55w ballast: aimed lights so far down that there were basically useless, went back to halogen highbeam, HIR bulb, first huge increase in output...could see!
Retrofitted denali headlights: morimoto mini upgrade, 4300k 35w ballast and HIR highbeam...epic output and have never been flashed or bothered by cops for illegal headlights. Ran high beam splitter, had issues with 1 shutter on a projector so just unhooked them, always meant to get in tough with the dealer to get a replacement projector but never had time.
Added 30" rigid e2 lightbar: holy , blows highbeams out of the water, you feel like you have no headlights on when you shut this off.

In a nut shell, retrofit is the best solution. Run the 4500k bulb on a 35w ballast if you want the best output. Imo 4500k matches the gmc led headlights perfectly. Will be doing an fxr upgrade on my wife's 2014 when warrantee is up. If your lightbar is not significantly brighter then your highbeams and you are basically using them as a flood light, then you wasted money on a lightbar that wasn't worth the money. As for the LED vs HID debate, the only thing led has going for it is instant on/off...that's it. There's a reason most cars with oem led headlights have more then 1 led headlamp per side...not enough output. Last time I checked you were looking at around 2000 lumens verse 34-3600lumens.

Hope that gives some insight to some of you guys who are maybe on the fence.
mdufficy and pigpen23 like this.

Beastly Build
LBZ Drag Racing
2006 GMC LBZ 4x4 CC/SB
1/4 Mile [email protected]
1.793 60'
DIED 09/19/17 11:02AM
REVIVED 12/21/17 3:57PM

Last edited by DaJokr; 06-20-2016 at 04:03 PM.
post #88 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 06:59 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJokr View Post
If you don't notice much difference between your light bar and headlights, then you already have your first problem. I've tried a lot. Not much I haven't tried.

2006 gmc sierra:

Stock headlights: bad
Stock headlights with silverstar/piaa: looked brighter, but went through bulbs like crazy, cost a small fortune
Stock headlights with 5000k lows 35w ballast and 6000k highs 55w ballasts fog lights 3000k 35w ballasts: no real difference between highs and lows, delay was atrocious, fog lights were less then useless in bad weather...I gave up using them completely
Stock denali projector headlights: halogens were slightly better then stock sierra lights
Stock denali projectors with 6000k low beam on 55w ballast: aimed lights so far down that there were basically useless, went back to halogen highbeam, HIR bulb, first huge increase in output...could see!
Retrofitted denali headlights: morimoto mini upgrade, 4300k 35w ballast and HIR highbeam...epic output and have never been flashed or bothered by cops for illegal headlights. Ran high beam splitter, had issues with 1 shutter on a projector so just unhooked them, always meant to get in tough with the dealer to get a replacement projector but never had time.
Added 30" rigid e2 lightbar: holy , blows highbeams out of the water, you feel like you have no headlights on when you shut this off.

In a nut shell, retrofit is the best solution. Run the 4500k bulb on a 35w ballast if you want the best output. Imo 4500k matches the gmc led headlights perfectly. Will be doing an fxr upgrade on my wife's 2014 when warrantee is up. If your lightbar is not significantly brighter then your highbeams and you are basically using them as a flood light, then you wasted money on a lightbar that wasn't worth the money. As for the LED vs HID debate, the only thing led has going for it is instant on/off...that's it. There's a reason most cars with oem led headlights have more then 1 led headlamp per side...not enough output. Last time I checked you were looking at around 2000 lumens verse 34-3600lumens.

Hope that gives some insight to some of you guys who are maybe on the fence.
My light bar is a cheap one cuz I can't stomach spending that kind of money on one when I work in sketchy ass areas where it could potentially get jacked. Knock on wood it hasn't happened yet, but maybe I should buy a Rigid and see how much better it is .

As far as the light output of the HID's in the factory projector and high beams, I think it's pretty amazing how well they light everything up and I can tell a difference once the high beams are on, but I believe y'all that the FX-R projectors could be better. Haven't really had much of an issue with being flashed or bothered by police. I'll just wait for @TDavis1992 to install his and see what he thinks even though he'll be comparing factory lighting to aftermarket right off the bat.
TDavis1992 likes this.

Casey
2016 Denali 3500HD - Starting from scratch.
Drop shackles. 285/75R18 RTs on Factory Wheels.

2018 Silverado 2500HD - Sold
2015 Silverado 2500HD - Sold
2012 Silverado 2500HD - Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode